Coco Coir for Autos?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by hp2skater, Oct 8, 2018.

1. I’ve read that it’s best to put autos in coco coir. Myself being an amateur grower and in the middle of my first “auto” grow... can you guys tell me the benefits of using coco coir for autoflowers?

I have 8 autos going at the moment:

-3 in straight coco + perlite (5 gal smart pots)
    -3 in 50% FF soil + 50% coco with perlite (5 gal smart pots)
    -2 in 100% FF soil + perlite (3 gal air pots)

The 3 in coco coir are 1 week ahead of the others and are doing great.

2. Here’s a shot
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. With coco, you control all the feeding. With autos as there is no time for recovery/extra veg you can be sure they get all the right food start to finish, no guessing like with soil that runs out of nutes.

• Like Like x 3
  4. In time you will note that its very rare for any auto to use up all the food in her pot in 2 weeks,

with coco the catch is having to wash the sea salt outta the shit before use or watch your plants go yellow

I do hope importers have listened to customs and washed the coco first

you will soon find out

other than the fact you are strictly limited to using man made 'salted' nutes in the first place

its not an easy road for new growers and coco

good luck tho

• Like Like x 1
  5. Good info. I’ve been feeding 1/2 strength liquid nutes for the coco and having good results so far. Hoping they don’t go yellow on me- didn’t even think about sea salt being a potential issue, good point.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Like Vostok said. Make sure you rinse your coco really good before use. And also a good pre charge helps.

Check out Micks coco kiss guide on this forum. Some very useful information for growing in coco. One thing to note is never treat coco like soil. Some of the benefits of coco are being able to feed multiple times a day.

It definitely helps being able to control the feed right out of the gate. Some Autos can be kinda sensitive. I’ve seen quite a few people stunt them from using a “hot soil”...i would def recommend starting out at quarter strength feed and working your way up.

And for future reference. It’s always bettr to start in smaller containers..keeping the root structure contained will help with feedings and promote faster growth... also check out insta-transplant cups. That’s what I start them in. They always take off and never skip a beat. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. If you purchased a quality coco you don't have to worry about salt - most coco nowadays is pre rinsed and buffered. My only concern is the coco/soil combination - they have different pH requirements for efficient nutrient uptake. I hope you have a shitload of light because it's going to get crowded in there. Good luck. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks! I will deff check out Mick’s guide and look into the insta cups. Being my first auto grow I’m trying to manage the differences of coco vs soil... I would like to do multiple feedings a day I’m just afraid of over watering. I want to maximize the benefits of this coco but that will likely just come with time and experience.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for your input Mick! I think my coco is pretty clean. I figured I would mix it up and try different mix ratios to see what works best. I have 4 HLG100 quantum boards in a 4x4 so hopefully that will do for now until I can get some capital to buy a larger QB!

10. The ability to multifeed comes from using small pots. You growing an auto and starting in a large pot probably won’t be able to multifeed until halfway through flower so I doubt you’ll see much of a difference. If you choose to grow photos, I’d be happy to walk you through the process for multifeeds. It’s like the opposite of everything you’ve been taught in soil.

Here’s a link to my journal for reference, and welcome to the world of passive hydro in coco.

Soil2Coco’s Indoor Multi Strain Journal

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks Soil! I’ll check out your journal. I have some fem photo seeds that I may run for my next batch just to work out the kinks of being an amateur grower... I’ll let you know if I have any questions after I check out your journal

• Like Like x 1