Coco base with dry amendments

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Elevated Alternatives, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Hello all growers stoners activist im new here i had a few questions... Im building a coco base medium with dry amendments my question is will i burn useing dr earth 4-4-4 and dr earths flower girl 3-9-4 i have a clear understanding using synthetic nutes but i wana go all organic so does this sound right ? 70 of 444 30 flower girl ratio in veg and go 50 50 early flower and eventually in mid flower 70 20 i want to start seedlings in just plain canna coco i just really want to figure out if this is going to work and if any body knows a beter ratio/ combanation

• Like Like x 1
  2. Well, make sure that you time your amendments appropriately as the grow progresses. Organic nutrients will have to be broken down, which requires time. I don't think you would burn your plants, but I don't think you want to go overboard with how much you apply.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Check out this dude, he grow's using the method you described and he's been doing this for a while and his videos are great for newbys.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Holy sh*# bro good looking out that actually helped me out alot

5. Is there any reason that you're going with coco other than 'just because'?

Coco isn't the best choice for use with dry amendments especially over the long term with peat moss being prefered overwhelmingly by experienced organic growers, including Coot, who said to avoid it.

Just a thought.

Wet

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Well ive heard Coco coir reduces the occurrence of diseases increases water retention and oxygenates roots ... I plan in throwing some worm casting in possiblly ..theres so many options and i really just want to find one that works i was even thinking on going nector for the gods

7. If you want to make an organic soil with dry amendments I suggest you follow a tried and true recipe for making it. Most organic soils use sphagnum peat moss and not coir as coir is really an inferior medium for making organic soil.
    A recipe which many of us here on GCO use very successfully is the one you will find on the No-till thread.
    No-Till Gardening: Revisited

What's your goal going into organics

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Nice ill check that out and i mean forreal i just like the fact on elemi ating synthetic nutes who knows what long term damage is dont IF ANY.. i want to create a product as nature intended it to be i like the fact of feeding the soil rather then straight to the roots i mean many benefits i think of as i also heard terp profile is amazing seems like alot of states soon will crack down on synthetic nutes and as a future care giver i want the cleanest product i can get im basiclly thinking ahead here thanks for your help cheers✊

9. My Canucks Grow would say you’re trippin..

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. If only that study wasn’t pushing someone’s agenda.. Not to bounce on Mr Canucks dick, but I’ve yet to see any organic guy here growing his quality of flower.. so... please tel us more about how coco is inferior for Organics...

11. Here’s my two pennies on coco, These bricks are by product of the coconut industry. It’s basically pressed at the plant and shipped out. A coconut spends its life growing up in the air only to be picked and processed. It’s first interaction with the ground is once it’s shredded. So this coco needs to charged, IMO. Peat is cut out of the bogs bagged onsite and shipped. It’s a majorly regulated thing in Canada.

Now that being said, take your coco and compost it as a brown source. Use that finished product in your mix. It would be obscene for me to negate coco since it’s a major part of my environment and easily accessible. I have no scientific research just a theory and experience.

• Like Like x 6
  12. You think coir isnt being pushed by the coconut industry? BTW, That study I posted was published by Utah State University.
    Peat doesnt need to be pushed as the demand pretty much covers all of the supply, there is no abundance of left overs. Coir is a byproduct that the coco industry is trying to get rid of.

Now, I feel like you are getting offended but I never said you cannot grow in coir, just that peat is superior. No need to get aggressive, we are all here to learn.

As for the why, there are several reasons. First and foremost peat has a much higher CEC which means it has a much higher capacity to hold (and provide) nutrients, helps prevent soil acidification and are less susceptible to leeching and nutrient deficiencies.

Another factor is that coir contains high amounts of K but lacks Ca and due to its non acidic nature liming agents wont react with it to release calcium. Adding kelp is also problematic since it is high in K, that in itself should be reason enough for most gardeners.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Nobody is getting offended. We can talk about the pros and cons of each medium, but we all know the the finished product is more about the grower skill. I’ve grown dank in soil, coco, hydro and peat. It all has its benefits.

Al I was commenting on was you saying coco isn’t good for organic which couldn’t be further from the truth. Because there are organic growers killing the game using coco. Which is why I referenced Mr Canucks.. which nobody can talk crap about because he’s producing some amazing product.

I use a coco/perlite mix and do organic and synthetic grows and have never had a problem. Anyone having problems with coco simply doesn’t know what they’re doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. No, I said peat is superior.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. You haven't been looking for very long then...some people on this forum grow plants equal or superior to mr canucks....seriously he grows nice stuff...but nothing out of the ordinary if you ask me
    Hell just on youtube, check joshua stedman or the herbin farmer...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I follow a lot of grows in the organic section. I didn’t say people aren’t grow great bud. Just not on his level. Just my opinion.

17. i dont want to knock canucks grow and i enjoyed his video but his plants didnt grow naturally in appearance. all of those strains should have remained green, natural senescence aside, and not changed so drastically in appearance. 1/4 lb+ per plant, dried and cured is pretty much a standard these days i think and it appeared he might have hit the 2-3 per mark.

beautiful cure. i just wonder how much more he could achieve if he did more with his base soil such as ewc, compost pine bark, and all the other standard spm based mix but using his coco base.

the lights looked really nice. i wonder if they're valoya's. the apparent spectrum could also be contributing to some of the color changes.

thanks for sharing but i think his stated method is off the mark by a few steps ime.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Completely agree on the fade....the higher my brix readings are the less fading i get

19. The plants fading out is 100% natural. What are you even talking about?