Co2 via Carbonated Water?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Thenuge, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Would it be beneficial to water a few times a week/ month with Carbonated water?

2. Good question. not sure bro. i've heard of people foliar feeding with it. does that even work? I'm interested in both ideas.

3. I used to foliage feed with it and not sure if it really helped but should of in theory.

You would not want to water with it because it's dissolved CO2 and you roots need O2.

4. Word thanks for the info man.

5. Don't quote me on this, i'm only speculating, i don't think it will work.
    The reason i think it won't work is because plants breath oxygen/carbon dioxide thru tiny pores thru the underside of a leaf. If you spray the underside of the leaf with any water it will block the pores from breathing, anyway, it wouldn't be natural to spray under leaves unless you had a pest infestation.

I know this is off topic, in my experience, it's not even worth putting Co2 in a room with ventilation, you'd need the groowroom sealed to benefit from the Co2.
    Just my two cents worth.

6. Plants do not have the capability of assimilating C02 via the roots.
    The leaves is where it occurs.
    Carbonated water is better with a shot or 2 of gin and a lemon twist.

:smoke:

7. roflmfao

8. Lol word. Thanks again guys!

9. lol on the rocks!
    Yeah the use of carbonated water to increase co2 levels in the room is not even as beneficial as using one of those CO2 Boost pieces of garbage or some of that Excellofizz crap. When these guys came to my shop to try to sell me their stuff, we hooked up a co2 meter and put it to the test. PPMs went up a few, for a few minutes, and then back down. The guy kept saying the meter was bad, so I shot a little co2 from a bottle at it and it skyrocketed. Needless to say we kicked that guy to the curb. Pure waste of money. Get yourself a co2 setup like KOG has, or a generator. This way you can actually increase the gas exchange in your plants. When it comes to co2 enrichment, I say do it right or don't do it at all and spend your money on other parts you will actually benefit from. Good question though. Peace

10. I'd pour some of it out, then shake the bottle up slowly releasing the gas near the plants. Or you could let it sit and naturally go flat. Now I have no idea if this works or will do anything but carbonated water does go flat fairly quickly and that gas is going somewhere..

11. I think if i let off a fart in my growroom, there'd be more carbon dioxide in it than in a bottle of carbonated water (well, depending on the size of bottle lol).

12. By the way, we are talking about a growroom and not a flower room?
    Cause spraying water on flowering plants would be a bad idea, you need the humity a lot lower than the grow/veg room. Having high humidity in a flower room could lead to bud rot.

13. Someone told me that it HAS to be seltzer water in order to be effective. How true this is, I'm not sure but would love someone to prove or completly dismiss the "cheap Co2" myths

14. When water is carbonated, it is just CO2 diffused into water, some Carbonic Acid is also formed. So if you added it to your hydro or soil system, it would throw off your pH.

15. Big time mon

16. I can't see a reason why a grower would add carbon to their nutrient solution.

17. The topic started about adding it to the leaves not to the roots. Roots need oxygen not carbon dioxide. So back to the subject. Seltzer water sprayed in the LEAVES is it a complete waste if time?

18. ^^^yes it is

19. ^^^^^i agree with what he said^^^^^