Co2 Tank Blasting

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by O0B9E9E1T, Mar 11, 2011.

1. I have got this idea stuck in my head to induce Co2 into my small micro grow. I live right up the road from a place that will fill a paintball gun Co2 tank for about $5 and attached to a long pipe with a valve in-between I could slip it into the box and flood with Co2. Turn the fans off 1-2 hours before the lights go out for the night, open the valve just enough to hear a slight trickle over the plants for 10-20 sec. If I can make a tank last 7 days it's worth the $5 to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. #2 jollyrancher1, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011
    I use 22 lb tanks, but I use a timer and regulator for injection to the grow.

Timer is connected to the lamp as you don't need CO2 during dark periods.

3. No Co2 during dark periods you say? Good to know. The way I look at it is if I grew this plant with nothing more than some sugar and yeast in a 20oz bottle (which I have tested with a bubble counter since and noticed there is literally no flow output) then a blast of Co2 once a day should be quite beneficial.

4. It costs me about $25 to refill a 22 lb cylinder and it lasts for about 8 weeks.

The biggest use is the grow phase because I run my light 24/7.

Look into a timer and regulator.

5. I don't have the room man, the box is packed I think my only choice is a Co2 bath of some sort.

6. It doesn't have to be in the same area, just a hose from the regulator to empty into the grow.

7. It's a stealth micro grow you can't even tell it's a grow box, even the power-cord goes through a false audio amplifier, I am afraid to leave a compressed bottle in such a small space even above the lighting hood.

8. #8 dabbish, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
    Horticulturesource are selling timers and regulators for 100 bucks each. Because too much CO2 is probably not good for your plants. And I think it's better getting a big tank like jollyrancher1 suggests. A paintball tank is going to be too small and you are going to have to refill it often.

How big is your groow room jollyrancher1?

9. Will they fill a propane tank with Co2?

10. Probably not.

Actually, the controller is 199 USD.

11. My setup could use $199 elsewhere, I am going to give this method a try. Literally 5 shots from a paintball gun is more Co2 than a bottle of yeast and sugar will create in a whole day if not longer (according to my bubble counter) so I will see how far I can get with a 20oz tank.

12. Yeah you are right, sorry but I just saw your second photo. I didn't realize how small your grow space was.

The space must have some ventilation right? So not so efficient to put CO2 in to that space then. But better than nothing I guess. But to me it seems like to much hassle and that it will be quite costly to keep refilling it.

13. Yes two 120mm fans, but I would shut them off for an hour or two while and after I blast the plant(s). If I can find a larger tank cheap that would be one thing, but it would not be automatic I would still have to use the Co2 bath method. They fill propane tanks with helium I think right?

14. I would think the co2 gas would dissipate before it was absorbed even with the fans off, albeit slower. A continuous flow like from a regulator would constantly be replacing the co2 lost to the surrounding environment. Save your $5 a week and just buy some beans that will give you high yields or spend it on electricity and increase your amount of light.

15. I've had 20 lb tanks go in 3 days (granted in a poorly sealed room...fixed that). A paintball canister... I wouldn't even mess with it man, there's just not enough gas there honestly, and you have no way of knowing the PPM.

16. Darn, I thought for sure in such a small space I was good to go, I have been looking into this stuff: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/SuperNatural-Excellofizz-CO2-Kit/dp/B003AZ78HA/]Amazon.com: Excellofizz CO2 Kit: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I could do the math and break up the pucks into pieces small enough to fill my box, I just don't want all the excess being spilled into the room and giving me Co2 poisoning.

17. You will not get Co2 poisoning from those pellets, but they are a huge ripoff. You would be better with a bottle of sugar water and some yeast. I understand your desire to grow better plants in your limited space, but dropping $66 on unproven pellets seems a bit much. To me this is a product geared toward MJ growers that is really not that effective or grossly overpriced. Honestly, from what I am reading about it (like staining of clothes if it splashes on you) is it is made of anhydrous citric acid and baking soda with some odor stuff added. If that is the case, assuming a 1:1 molar ratio of citric acid to sodium bicarb, then an 8lb container will yield 1.26 lbs of Co2 TOTAL.

Co2 = 44g/mol
    citric acid 192g/mol
    NaHCO3 = 84g/mol

18. #18 Poobrick, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2011
    If you really really want to go this route then let me suggest this instead. Purchase 5 lbs citric acid from ebay like here: 5 lb Citric Acid Anhydrous FCC/USP/BP/Kosher - eBay (item 270719985970 end time Apr-13-11 08:09:21 PDT) and a large bag (2-5 lbs) baking soda from local store (not to be confused with baking powder). Dissolve both in separate cups and have a piece of cloth connecting both with it's ends submerged in the solution of both cups. Wicking will draw the citric acid solution up the wick and will react with the baking soda, releasing Co2 in a more controlled fashion because the rate of reaction is now being controlled by the rate of absorption of your "wick". You will still have diminishing returns, but not nearly at the rate the tablets would produce. You also will need to change the wick as salt buildup will likely occur. Just an idea and better than vinegar as acetic acid is a liquid and will evaporate and get into your soil and it will stink up the place. You could also use a drip method if that is preferable or more effective. If anyone has suggestions to this idea, please feel free.

19. The thing is I just don't have room for any Co2 contraptions, and the Co2 bottle with yeast and sugar has not shown me any flow through a bubble counter. I don't know what to do at this point.

20. Another option that works well with micro grows is a process called fermentation. It gives off co2 in spurts and is cheap and relatively easy to maintain. Water sugar yeast and a plastic jug works great in a micro grow.