CO2 question

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Booboo1eye, Dec 2, 2011.

1. You need to realize without the proper PPM of CO2, your little vinegar contraption will be essentially useless. I think the most ideal way is to just get a tank. Tanks and refills are actually a lot cheaper than you'd think. You can get a good decent sized tank for about $75-$100 and it'll hold you over for 1-3+ weeks depending on your use. Refills $20-30. The regulator is the real problem. You need one that can be wired into a timer so you can switch CO2 on and fans off, preferably 2-5 times a day. That's where you'll be investing a large portion of your money.

The question really is if the increased yield outweights the input price.

In reality its definately something to try, if you find you're having trouble affording it or just aren't seeing the results you want, don't use it in your next grow.

2. Refills around here are about $10 at the grow store.

3. ^ as are the timers

4. Regulators and controllers are pretty expensive.

5. I was just talking to my buddy that used to own a welding shop he said he'd sell me a 20lb tank and a regulator for 50$. Do you have to have a controller to use co2 I'm not trying to spend a ton of money if I don't have too.

6. It helps tremendously. They have little handhelds to test ppm that are a lot cheaper.

7. Okay I must've not seen them when I was looking yesterday most of the controllers were between 275-650$ :/ ouch

8. They aren't controllers, just CO2 testers. It'd take a lot of trial and error to get it right with one of those things.

9. Well now your making me nervous hahaha with the trial and error part I better just spend the money and not be disappointed. Any suggestions on a decent priced controller?

10. Well I mean it'll probably take 3 or 4 trials. I'm sure you know 1500+ PPM, and all that. The higher end controllers require special regulators as well. So if you're going with your buddies tank and regulator, buy a handheld for under $100 and just do a few runs.

11. In CO you can do a Craigslist search and often find a ton of used grow equipment. I saw a CO2 regulator the other day for cheap. Also a lot of grow shops carry used equipment.

12. CO2 is only worth it if you put the time and money into setting it up correctly so that you are getting your money back.

13. Here is what I got. I found that the control wizard was right for me. Cheap compared to $500-$1000. I only use Co2 during flowering and stop the last two weeks as it seems to hinder ripening. IMHO. I use a 20lb tank every 18 days. and am at 1200-1500 ppms. I use the manual glass sticks and suction to determine this.

Attached Files:

14. The tanks can be "re-allocated" from behind restaurants if your funds don't allow for the upfront costs. A regulator from any other source than the grow store is a waist of time.Buy the cheaper Hydrofarm setup with the reg and tubing.
    Is Co2 needed?

1. Definitely if your going to grow indoors during hot months.
    2. Co2 slows down fuking spider mites if you ever get them. Crank the CO2 for a day and bye bye.
    3. I have noticed that my buds finish denser than without. Yield up 25% on chocolate chunk pictured above.
    4. You can reduce flowering time by at least five days by using Co2.
    5. Obviously the girls are gonna need more nutes. I go for an EC of .8 to 1 max (tap water here is .2) with Advanced Nutrients and feed when needed usually every other water in winter time or ten days.

Is it worth it? Tanks (2) $50=$100. $38 to fill with CO2 or $76. Regulator and tubes $100. Control Wizard $150. Total of $425.

15. I would not advocate that anyone resort to stealing to get a tank. This is really stupid advice.

16. Thanks a lot! this is next on my list Ive been looking at some products and a lot of them are way high priced 150$ isn't bad for a controller