Co2 question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by trillyen, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Ive decided to go with co2 in my bud room, but i dont know alot about it

this will be the room where i am sleeping and my girlfriend smokes so will this be bad??

the plants and the co2 container will be enclosed in a grow box but nothing will explode will it???

Also where can i get a minature co2 dispenser or blower, does lowes or home depot sell them???

i want a small one i dont need it to be very big

thanks guys!!!

2. Shoudn't be a problem with safety at all. I question the size of your grow though, from the sounds of it it does not warrant C02. Lowes will def not sell something like that. Paintball cylinders for c02 with a regulator might work. Or if its really small try umm what it it yeast and ice water? or vinigar and baking soda? dry ice? or just talk to them....:wave:

3. lol that sounds good, i really aint wanna spring for the co2 any way but i would like to have it im gonna have about 12 to 18 plants

but a bottle to spary to water will be ok right?????

4. Spray bottle to foliar feed sure. But you have to water the roots and a spray bottle don't cut it unless you want to sit there watering for a long time.

5. #5 dosboot, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
    If you sleep in your room and run your lights during the same period, you may not need to buy co2. And tobacco smoke is bad for the plants. I've heard that marijuana smoke won't really hurt them, though. They might even like it, though that would be rather weird.

Thing to remember: when your grow lights are off, the plants aren't needing much co2. It's when the lights are on that they use the co2.

You may know all this already. If so, please ignore. :)

6. tobacco smoke covers everything in a thin layer of... whatever.

CO2 is extremely stable. I use it all the time with paintball ;-)

7. yea the lights will be on a part of the time im in there sleeping, but i havent yet figuresd out my light schedule yet, thats a good suggestion, i just wanna maximize my yield ya know!!!

is there any inexpensive c02 things i can get on a time release schedule, i may get a small inexpensive 1

no im gonna water and spray them i just wanna make sure they are getting enough, c02

is it better to spray with carbonated water, or does it matter!!!

thanks guys!!!

8. Do NOT ever smoke tobacco near your plants. MJ is susceptible to the tobacco mosaic virus, which can be spread by tobacco smoke.

9. I dont know. I just know CO2 is extremely safe to play with. I'd fill my own bottles and play with the open/close valve to spray some cold CO2 on my body on hot summer days during paintball (you don't paintball in shorts & t-shirt )

That sort of equipment most likely exist, however, would cost $$$$$ since it's not just a simply on/off POWER switch, but an actual valve :p

What's the best you can do your for plants on the AIR matter is to give the plants a constant flow of air. That way the air is always fresh with whatever the plant needs

+ it has other benefits

10. thanks and its been duelly noted, glad i quite about 5 years ago

yes i definetly have plans on keeping the air fresh no doubt about that, i just wish it was a way to take the little C02 bottles used for air pistols and paintball and put a valve on them and time release it r something

i guess i could get a air pistol and DRY fire it in my grow box, lol

thats sounds like unexpensive method!!!

11. #11 GumDispenser, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
    EDIT : I just remembered that the spray cans used to blow air in our computers and keyboards are compressed CO2 just like the paintball gun tanks. If you don't have a paintball field near you for the convenience of refilling the CO2 tank, you can buy those air blast tanks

[​IMG]

Now for the paintball tanks

you dont even need the paintball gun.

You just need the CO2 tank with the on/off valve attached.

You just turn the knob on it and CO2 will come out fast. Then turn it back off before you freeze your knob ;-)

[​IMG]

See the little black circular knob on the brass tip? that's your on/off

edit : oh and for those out there who arent much aware of what CO2 is, don't worry about the Radio Active symbol on the tank in the picture. It's a "brand" thing, not a real symbol ;-)

12. so i can use that computer duster as co2 cool thats awesome, and i can go to walmart and get the co2 tank for the paint guns too thats a REAL bug help

thak u soo much

im a man on a mission now!!!!

13. I just want to say...

while I suggested CO2 tanks that are easily available, I have NO CLUE WHAT SO EVER how to use them with your plants. I dont even know if it's a good thing.

14. Who doesn't know what CO2 is? LOL!

:D

15. You'd be surprised how some people would think the radioactive symbol on that tank means something.

16. Nah. It will only make your bud glow in the dark, that's all.
    :smoke:

17. lmao

yea i wonder if it is a good thing i dont know i hope some tells me if its good or not

but i mean i would think c02 is c02 ya know. i wouldnt think they would add anything to it its just a cold air gas or liquid right

it should say on the bottle what all the ingredients are

ill start by looking there

thanks for the heads up

I looked into buying a co2 generator for my room

lmao u dont even wanna know!!!

18. CO2 is CO2 yeah. But don't fool yourself into thinking that canned air dusters, or paintball tanks are going to help your grow much.

The average amount of CO2 in the air is 500-600ppm, less at night than the day. To get the real benefits from CO2 you'll want to keep the PPM at 1200-1500 while the lights are on. That means getting a PPM meter at the very least. Ideally you want one attached to an environmental controller that will control the release of the CO2 for you. Using just a paintball tank you have no idea what the ppm is in your grow box, and it will be almost impossible for you to keep PPM at a constant level.

19. yeah that sounds like a little much

i might just have to talk to my plants but i would really like to ge some co2 tank cause i already have a green thumb so i could imagine, the yield i would have with all that stuff your talking about

thanks for the help by the way, do u have any i dea how much i can get a cheap co2 tank with a ppm gauge on it with a air release valve on it

and how much they cost to refill???

thanks alot man!!!

20. Before you go spraying random products into your garden do more research. The compressed air is not just co2 so I would steer clear of that. As for the paintball tanks, you will be paying 3 - 6 times the going rate for co2 at an actual gas supplier. You also have no way of monitoring or metering your co2. Before you establish your co2 setup you need to figure out your garden size (the dimensions of the room/box/closet). You basically have three options; reactive production(yeast/sugar, baking soda/vinegar, boost bucket), bottled with regulator and timer/controller, and a co2 generator. Reactive production is reserved for smaller spaces (100 sq. ft. or less, IMO) and is difficult to measure in parts per million (1300-1400 ppm during daylight flowering is optimal). Bottled co2 comes in a variety of sizes (5 lbs., 20 lbs., 35 lbs., etc.) and is suitable for medium space (100 sq. ft. - 600 sq. ft. up to 800 - 900 sq ft in a CGE). Much after 500 sq. ft. in a ventilated space and the cost and frequency of refills become un-economic. Any higher than 800 sq. ft. and a generator is your only option. It is also wise to buy some sort of monitoring device. At the very least a syringe tester. If you are not maintaining close to optimal levels you are just wasting co2 and your money. If you are planning a 12 or so plant op than bottled is more than likely the best way to go. If you are frugal and diligent you can get set up for probably around $300. Good luck with your grow.