Co2 Question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by MagikWand, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Is there any other way to add Co2 without buying a machine to do it? or without buying anything really at all? Ive heard breathing on your plants when they are younger helps...a little; but are they're chemicals i can add or something...? maybe mix with water and add with nutes or anything like that?

2. Just from reading some threads on here; i have read that you can pour vinegar over baking soda, and it makes co2?

3. I was going to ask if that worked... and if so, whats the proper technique for doing that? do i pour baking powder around my plant and than add vinigar or maybe get a bowl next to the plant and put baking soda in that and than add vinigar...that seems like the better way of doing it...

4. I would think that you just put a bowl of baking soda in the grow room, and then pour a little vinegar in the bowl? Then close up the room good and let the fan blow it around your plants. I would think this would just produce co2 for a short time and then you would just repeat the process ea time to add co2? Let us know if it works?

5. will do. I just put about 1/3 cup of baking soda in a bowl (dimensions unavailable) and added about 1 tblsp of vinager. Ill keep this thread posted on how it goes if i see any kinds of changes. Ill also mess around a little with the variables of vinager to baking soda.:D

6. yeah you can use club soda (carbonated water) put it in a spray bottle and spray it around your plants should work fine

7. yeah that would seem to work. ill probably try that if this baking soda thing doesn't work. Is overloading on Co2 a bad thing? might cause burning i feel.:smoke:

8. if you have a set up with good air flow you dont have to do it that much. but for a room that doesnt get much air flow there will be less CO2 so you might have to do it more depending on how the plants are looking. burning might happen not really sure??

9. The club soda/carbonated water technique is a retarded myth that got out of hand. It wont do a damn thing to CO2 enrich your grow space (not even a little). Save it for cocktails.
    It is one of the funnier bits of advice though:D

10. alright. thanks for gettin back before i tried that:D. anyways, i have a small space in my closet where i grow with a little fan. im attempting to see if this baking soda thing works and hopefully the fan can blow it around a bit.

11. Yes, by just being in your growroom, you release CO2 into the air for the plants, the more you're in there, the more CO2 you release.

As far as i remember, the baking soda and vinegar method consists of a drip system from where vinegar drips on the baking soda.

Other than a regulator and a bottle of CO2, there are a few other way to create CO2 in growroom.
    The most common would be the sugar and yeast recipe. You can purchase active yeast in your local homemade brewery shop.
    Depending on your growroom size:
    The following recipe should supply a 8x6x8 (LxWxH) growroom for 2 or 3 weeks:
    Ingredients:
    Active yeast.
    Sugar
    5L plastic bottle with screw-on lid
    Sharp knife
    Warm water

Put 4 or 5 cups of sugar in the plastic bottle, add 3L of water, the warmer the better, not boiling (it will melt the plastic bottle), just warm enough to dissolve the sugar. Let it cool down to room temperature and add a few tablespoons of the active yeast. With the sharp knife (or scalpal) make a slice on the top of the screw-on lid. Screw the lid on, and shake the bottle regularly for 2 days, there you go. After 2 days it will produce CO2.The ingredients will react with eachother, the yeast eats the sugar and (excuse my french) shits out alchol while releasing CO2. Even though it consantly releases CO2, you should shake the bottle frequently, it keep the mixture active and it will let bursts of CO2 into the air.

12. By the way CO2 is heavier that oxygen, so you should keep the bottle a little higher than the plants.
    Hope that helps.

13. thanks alot! yeah i have definately seen a positive change in my plant after the bottle method! Easy and cheap too!

14. You say "active" yeast. I have fast acting dry yeast, quick rise. The yeast is made for a bread machine but it doesn't say anywhere on the bottle about being active. Will this work?

15. Yep that will do, the same thing only different lol.

16. alrighty cool well thx for the help!

17. do you give CO2 during veg stage or flowering?

18. ^ Both, although it's more important during flowering if you have to choose one or the other.

And to the OP, I haven't heard of anyone having much luck in CO2 without anything other than a machine, so best of luck but don't expect a dramatic difference.