Co2 question

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by skrewloose, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Hello all. I'm 2 days into 12-12 lighting and I was thinking about using Co2. I would release the gas at the base of the plants as to feed the leaves. My question being, when is the best time, if any, to do this? During 12 Dark or 12 Light? All response are appreciated. Thanks, skrewloose

2. Hey, do you have an actual co2 tank with a solenoid? because those home-made yeast things won't do shit, except for stink up your entire house.

as for your question. you want to use co2 during the lights ON period. when the lights are off the plant cannot use co2, same with foliar feeding. there are things on the leaves called stomata, that is how the leaves absorp gasses/nurients, (what ever comes in contact with them) stomata only "OPEN UP" during the light cycle. and you'd be better off to turn on the co2 about 30min - an hour after the lights come on, because it takes a while for the stomata to open up.

release the co2 at the top of your grow room/cab where ever your growing (above the plants) it will be more effective, because co2 is heavier than air. it will sink. ex. if co2 was blue putting the co2 outlet tube at the top of the room, it would look like a blue waterfall pouring down onto your plants.

3. Thanks for the input. Actually i'm going to be using dry ice. Thanks, skrewloose

4. anyone tried selzer??? is that for the birds??

Ps u sure about foliar feeding with the lights on??? check out what it says here. it says do it with the lights off and that the stomata opening has more to do with temp than light. I'm not sure.

Foliar feeding instructions:

You can use any full spectrum nutrient to foliar feed your plants. To avoid nutrient burn, your nutrient solution strength, should be no more than 1/3rd of the maunufactures reccomended dosage.

* The best temperature is about 72 degrees (when stomata on the underside of the leaves are open); at over 80, they may not be open at all. So, find the cooler part of the day if it is hot and the warmer part of the day if it is cold out.
    * Use a good quality sprayer -- should atomise the solution to a very fine mist.
    * Always be sure your light is off and cool before foliar feeding! For extra safety, wipe your bulb with a dry cloth after spraying and make sure H.I.D lights are raised to a safe distance (double the distance is a good rule of thumb) to prevent burning.
    * Make sure the PH of your solution is between 7 and 6. 2.
    * To prevent the water from beading up (acting as small prisms) and thereby burning the leaves, for each gallon made, add half of a teaspoon of liquid detergent (wetting agent).
    * Spray leaf surface -- the tops and the undersides -- until the liquid begins to drip off the leaves. Stop spraying 2 weeks into flowering -- use sparingly on bud sites.
    * Dispose of excess spray according to manufactures instructions home made fertilizer sprays will be fine for at least 2 weeks.
    * Spray one time a week every week, if any white residue is found, rinse the foliage with plain ph'd water to reduce salt build-up.

EDITORS NOTES: Personally, I do not foliar feed in any situations other then those mentioned below, as, IMO, it does not seem to be necessary if using a well-managed hydroponic set-up. The reasons I foliar feed, are mainly to reduce nutritional stress situations. I avoid spraying bud sites, as nitrate salts (the "n" in NPK) are very unhealthy to smoke, fish emulsion smells, and Bat guano could be highly unsanitary so stick to hygenic solutions.

Benefits of foliar spraying:

* To provide a quick nutrient fix for root-zone nutrient problems or deficiencies; this allows more time to solve the problem(s).
    * To prevent excess yellowing on clones.
    * To instantly provide nutrients via the leaves, which reduces stress on the suffering plant.

5. wet plants/leaves + dark = mold, mildew , and fungus

The product has a amplifier in it. Water doesn't cause burn.
    Example: Everything on earth would burn everytime it rained if light foliar burn happened. The sun puts off more than ANY light in a house.

alex