CO2 in a semi-sealed room with dampers and air controllers

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Do Work, Feb 23, 2013.

1. #1 Do Work, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
    Hello, been a while GC!

I am looking for experience in growing with CO2, in a large, semi-sealed room. I understand the need for a sealed room when using CO2, but this chamber was designed with CO2 use NOT in mind (d'oh).

The attached picture is a top down view of what this chamber looks like. This chamber is in a basement that is roughly 50x40x9. The chamber is roughly 21x7x8 and naturally split into 3 equal mini-chambers. It can be assumed that this chamber is sealed, aside from the intake/exhaust, the other seams are as close to being sealed as possible.

It's just one long chamber, with a light covering each 7x7x8 cube (see picture). Each chamber has a 1500 watt light (3 total), with air cooled hood (air cool ducting is outside of chamber) covering 4 - 3x3 flood/drain trays (12 total). Each separated chamber has one oscillating fan that is covering the 7x7 area (3 total).

The air-intake has backdraft dampers that don't let air flow out, and open up to the negative pressure from the extractor fan. The extractor fan is hooked up to a carbon filter. 8" high velocity fan does a great job of creating negative pressure and covers up all the smell and keeps temps/humidity low.

It should be said that this setup is working and in perfect condition. I have dialed almost everything in (aside maybe humidity). I average around 400g/tray. I use the Lucas Formula in my flood/drain, SCROG setup and run a perpetual grow with a bi-weekly harvest. However, I want to try implementing CO2 to see if I can increase my yields. In my opinion, everything else is perfectly dialed in.

Environmentals:
    • Temp: 65-75 (that is high/low in both light and night). Gas furnace is set to 67 degrees and keeps the basement pretty steady at that temp. During summer central air maintains about the same temp.

• Humidity: 45-60 It has always been right around here and I use no humid/dehumidifier in the setup. Granted it could be a little more dialed in, but generally stays around 50%.

The carbon filter/extractor fans run 24/7 and the light fans stay on only when the lights are on. The temperatures and humidity levels have always been within a good line without me ever worrying about them (I've been lucky I'll admit it).

Here is the question/problem:
    I want to start using CO2. I have a natural gas CO2 generator I'm eyeballing, and a good environmental controller. Seeing as I can use my extractor fan to maintain my temps/humidity, and assuming that EVERYTHING is sealed as best as possible minus the dampered intake holes, would this work, even though it's semi-sealed? Has anyone tried to use anything like this before?

The env controller turns the fan off when CO2 runs. CO2 only runs at day, and turns off at night. When temps/humidity get too hot CO2 turns off, and air extractor turns on.

Has anyone ever tried anything similar to this (mostly using CO2 in a semi-sealed environment).

I'm worried about a couple things. 1) smell - since the extractor won't run 24/7. 2) wasting CO2 from not being sealed. 3) Controlling the environment to keep temps/humidity down may actually waste CO2 by venting it too often to keep up.

Please discuss, offer your opinion, and give ideas!

Attached Files:

2. Disappointed no one is even giving it a shot... BOOO GC!

3. If its not a sealed room then your kinda wasting your time with co2 IMO

Sent from iPhone 5

4. CO2 is heavier than air, so put the CO2 output higher up in your system or at least higher than you exhaust and you should have no problem maintaining 1500ppm.

5. yes this is a very common setup for people who don't use AC. 

You will probablly have an issue with smell.  Can you run a carbon filter in the room recirculating air?