Co2 generator

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Deleted member 979967, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Well I've been researching co2 makers and I haven't really found any all I've got in the house is 1 long tube no connectors having soda vinegar and a few bottles anyone know any?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Eh - adding Co2 is overrated in my opinion. I've tried it and spent the money on a Co2 tank injection system and did not see enough of a difference to continue using it.

I gave the system to a friend who used it for several grows and who then also gave it away...

It's been awhile (probably early 90's) but I will tell you that we set up a sealed room, tested and set the PPM of the Co2 to the desired levels - and to be totally honest just never saw enough (any?) difference over a well ventilated grow area with plenty of fresh air. The room was running two - 1,000 watt HPS light systems at the time with a hand-watered hydroponic setup using a 50/50 mixture of perlite & vermiculite watered multiple times daily.

Just one gardeners opinion. If I were you I'd just concentrate on as good a lighting system as you can afford with appropriate ventilation and grow the healthiest plants you can.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who use Co2 to see how they feel but I've personally been there/done that and just won't waste my time or $$ again.

My $.02c

J

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Thanks for your opinion I have a 2 foot x2foof by 4 foot tent so pretty small with a 450 w hps and I heard co2 generators were good but I wanted a homemade cheap one not to spend a arm and a leg for abit of co2

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. If your going to be venting your tent it's a waste of money. I have a ventless gas heater running in my room and see very little difference so far

• Like Like x 2
  5. #5 pointswest, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    All of the homemade CO2 generator kits do not produce enough CO2 to make a difference in the plant growth. It takes continuous 1200-1500ppm in a sealed room to have any effect on plant growth. The homemade CO2 kits can't come close to producing even half of the needed concentrations for enhanced growth, save your money and time and grow a healthy plant and use proper harvesting and curring methods to get the best product from your harvests.

Take the money spent on these worthless bags and recipes and get some kelp meal and worm castings and malted barley, if you want to add something beneficial to enhance your growing efforts.

PW

• Like Like x 1
  6. Co2 only works on sealed rooms and you can cheap out .
    There are some specific scenarios where CO2 is absolutely necessary.

For example, in my case , my city has RH of 85% so I can't grow for shit without having a sealed room to control humidity, as soon as you seal the room you need CO2 otherwise the plants will literally choke

7. It's 100% humidity where I live right now. I just checked weather.com. I live in a temperate rain forest in Alaska. It's one of the top 10 rainiest places in the US. I run a vented room. Its not 100% humidity in my house. It's quite dry because of indoor heat. My typical humidity in the tent lately is 39%. No need to seal the room. It's not going to help. There's gallons of moisture in there to be evaporated by the lights. If I didn't vent it I bet my humidity would be higher. How does sealing a room dry it out? You must run a dehumidifier.

I always planned to figure out a CO2 system because I figured it was one of the secret ingredients to super yields and high potency. Once I grew bud as good as any I've had without CO2 I started second guessing my theories. I did some research and found out that CO2 only really helps with veg growth. It's never been proven to increase flowering over non co2 supplemented plants vegged to the same size. What it really does is supercharge your veg time. You can grow a 6 week plant in 4 weeks. I don't really have enough room to increase production like that unless I can bud a plant in 4 weeks. I won't have a space for that super fast vegged plant in the bud tent. That takes 2 months. Might as well slow my veg time down to match bud.

As someone said earlier as well. The only way to do it right is with a tank and regulator that is controlled by a PPM meter. All the homemade CO2 methods don't boost levels up enough to make them worth the trouble. When you realize it's just for vegging plants faster it kind of looses it's allure.

8. i know this thread is old, but i have seen the same misinformation in so many threads now that i had to create an account to correct.

people saying that yeast+sugar is ineffective and wont even make 500ppm co2 are full of shit, and the guy saying his buddy brought a ppm meter over to check is either lying or the meter was grossly uncalibrated. here is a video of 3 bottles of yeast+sugar (2 gallons) in a regular grow tent. it raises the ppm by over 1000 within 5 hours, ,and after 10 hours it finishes at over 2100ppm.

another myth is you need to run it to a fan, or that co2 settles on the floor. he did it twice, both with 2 co2 meters. the first time the 2 meters are beside eachother to show they are calibrated. the second time one meter is on the floor, the other one is 1-2 feet off the ground. both times there is only a difference of 10ppm.

it's cheap and effective, especially for a grow tent which can't be sealed properly where running a tank or generator wouldn't be efficient. only thing is it will stink.

9. So this video is without any plant in there? Why wasn't this experiment conducted in a running cannabis grow so the feed rate of the plants was taken into consideration? So much BS? 2100 is high enough to cause burn. You want 1200-1500. How will you maintain that with plants in there with no controller?

10. use 1 less bottle?

11. I grow my plants with none. I don't think I need to veg faster. 180 watts. 2 90 watt led's in a 4x4 with room air. I don't want them taller.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I did some calculations. If you mix 40 grams citric acid with 20 grams calcium carbonate it will raise the ppm by 1000 in a 10 cubic meter sealed grow room.

13. what were you ppm ? in your grow ? anything under 1200 really your not going to notice anything possible it might grow faster . the sweet spot is 2000 ppm not the 1200 or 1500 thats suggested by the internet

14. 2100 will not harm a thing . i used to run 2500 noticed zero difference from 2000. so to save money i run it 2000 . i have a friend that pushes it up to 2700ppm in a 40 by 40 room . i tell you not i go into that room and i get woozey !!!! to much co2 in the blood i would not suggest it . there is a reason why those monitors can go up to 2700 ppm . for that small tent grow i would not bother . and you will be required to veg and flower at a higher temp to even take advantage of using this added co2

15. Or faster. A dialed in grow room would grow as much/quickly as I’d ever want.