co2 enrichment

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ISTANDALONE, Sep 1, 2006.

1. i'm using the yeast/sugar/water method to raise the co2 ppm in my growspace. i know the plants like this but i'm curious why it's good for them. i know plants use co2 like we use o2, but does it make them grow faster, or more potent, or denser nuggs? all of the above? i know this is a newbie question and i did search but didn't find direct answers. thank you once again, grasscity.

2. it is how the plant breathes, like we need O2 .without co2 exchange the plant wont be able to proberly photosynthesize. and itl die of suffocation.

3. no shit, sherlock. lol. what i'm asking is when the co2 count is raised in the grow room, what are the specific benefits?

4. If u ask a dumb ass question ur gonna get a dumb ass answer. if u kno y u ask the question.

5. because i don't know, assfarmer. i know it's good for the plant, but what are the DIRECT benefits? i'm not looking for someone to say "co2 is good for the plant" because we all know that. what are the specific benefits? if i knew the answer i wouldn't waste my time starting a thread.

6. It wasn't a stupid question, but you did give it a stupid answer. Co2 enrichment increases the process of photosynthesis which in the end increases energy. With that energy it will grow more vigorously than a plant w/o enrichment.

7. Dude, HE DID! answer the specific benefits.

That's exactly it.

8. it wouldnt die without extra co2 enrichment, it would grow fine if it was a small grow with good ventilation, but extra added co2 helps the plant deal with high temps, helps a lot in flowering it promotes faster/better growth, and it gives the plant more energy to store for the dark period (when the plant "rebuilds" itself)

9. ^^^^^^^^ holy shit! thank you. that was my question, how is ADDITIONAL co2 specifically beneficial. i didn't think it was a hard question to answer but aparently it was. faster growth. that's all i was looking for. from now on i'll form my questions so a retard could understand them. lol. just didn't think it was a hard question.

10. Sorry, I think we all thought you'd be able to understand that a higher rate of photosynthesis = a higher rate of growth.

Maybe we'll form our answers so a retard could understand them.

Biology 101 my friend.

If photosynthesis is used to convert light energy into chemical energy, what is energy used for? energy = food. More food = higher rate of growth.

11. to those who answered the question without being an asshole, thank you. to those who feel the need to be an asshole, EAT MY ASS. this other guy started being a prick, not me, for the record. this forum is so full of people who obviously have huge amounts of knowledge and as soon as someone needs a question answered in terms they can understand (not everyone is super-bright, top-of-your-class genius like reefacheefa and jonsi) they jump on you and make you feel like your shit, whilst they are cream of the crop. so, thanks to those who helped and a "i hope you get HIV" to those who like to belittle people.

12. i asnt saying it would die without extra co2 i was just trying to sat its a basic building block for all of the plants functions. being that it would increase allaspects and the overall ellbeing of the plant.

13. and for the record i am no where near 1st class or top of the line. and no shit sherloc is an insult where im from, but no worries were all on here to learn to gro so lets just do it shit. and what kind of shit is " i hope u get hiv" what if i had that shit i auta go to little vermont and beat ur ass.

14. once again, he's right... you came off with the first insult... which is why I jumped in because he gave a helpful answer and you attacked him... not cool. Next time don't be a douche when someone is trying to help you. Just be a bit more polite in the future.

But you know what, no use fighting about this, just good luck with your grow.

15. all right dudes, lets' smokem peace pipe. when i said "no shit sherlock, lol" it's a way of saying "no kidding", or "i know". basically saying that i know and adding a little sarcasm, not trying to sound like an asshole. it just seems that when someone asks a question that may be 2nd nature or elementary to somebody, that person answers in such a way that it makes the question asker feel dumb (not just me or just this thread, but with alot of newbs). and for the record, the question was not answered in the first reply, because i stated that i knew plants needed co2 to live, but the question is what are the benefits of ADDED/SUPPLEMENTAL co2. so, peace, i apoligize and thanks for the help.

16. What is the yeast/sugar/water method?

17. there is a recipe on this forum somewhere, if you search the words yeast sugar water you'll find it, but here it is to the best of my memory. you need a two litre soda bottle (or any bottle with a cap that is close to the same size) between one and two cups of regular sugar, two cups of hot tap water (not boiling, as that will kill the yeast, if you have a kitchen thermometer around 110 degrees is perfect) and one tablespoon of yeast. here in the US of A fleishmanns (sp?) comes in a three part envelope, each envelope containing around a tablespoon of yeast (do not get "rapid rise" yeast, it doesn't work as good). put one and one half cup of water in soda bottle, add 75% of the sugar and shake vigorously untill sugar is dissolved. mix remaining 25% of yeast with 1/2 cup of water and stir to form a paste. add this mixture to the bottle (do not mix/shake this mixture as it will get foamy and instead of the co2 bubbles "popping" when they rise, they will just form a foam and make a HUGE mess flowing out of the bottle) then put remaining sugar in the bottle on top of the mixture. then you can either poke a small hole in the bottle cap for the co2 to escape, or just leave the cap off. i put my co2 bottle behind my cooling fan so the co2 gets circulated. co2 is heavier than air so it's my belief that if you don't put the bottle either behind or in front of a fan the gas will just sink to the bottom of your grow chamber and not reach your ladies. sorry for the novel but i tried to cover everything.

18. Wow, that is such a great idea, putting it behind the cooling fan! Right, I think I have all the ingredients, time to play :D

19. Can you explain how you go about increasing the co2 with the things you listed? I'm confused on how you do it

EDIT: haha thanks for the explanation two posts up...

20. this has worked wonders for me, but i can't rightly take credit for it because it's someone else's idea. and you'd do good to search for the original recipe for this because i'm not sure i've got it 100% correct, although it works for me. also if you go to walmart, they have paintball co2 tanks on an exchange basis. you pay around 25$ for a 20oz tank and when it's empty you return it for a full one for around 7$. at top of the tank there is a 3/8 inch nut that if you loosen a touch it will release the gas. i do this twice a day in addition to the yeast method. one tank lasts one week. well worth it to me for the accelerated growing rate.