Co2 at night...how beneficial

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by fonzi03, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Soo if i got a bag and put it over my lady at night and sealed the edge to her pot and filled it with Co2 during her 12 hour night cycle would it be beneficial?

Also would this work if i had a clear bag and did it during the lights on period?...i dont want to here just yes or no i would like a reason on why this will or wont work.

I would basically just fill my paintball gun tanks :) and release it into the bag till it ballooned over the plant.

2. the bag thing wont work. you have to use the right amount of co2 also. too much will be bad for the plants. You need to go to an airgas location and buy a small tank for like 15bucks (exchange). I dont know what a new one would cost. when done correctly you can get 20% more bud very easily, you can do it with the lights on or off. get a 10 pack of test tubes at your local hydroponics store and air sampler/tester.

CO2 is heavier than air so it will fall. take an air sample from the bottom of the room and see what its at with one of the test tubes. then give your room a squirt of co2 and check again in 30 min. once youve gotten the room at the right co2 ppm then check like every hour to see when it needs more co2. after you do this a bunch of times you will remember how long to squirt co2 in the room and how long it will last. it can be a once or 2 times a day thing but it will make your buds a lot bigger for sure.

3. #4 REALSTYLES, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
    Do not do that. You will end up killing you plants. You shouldn't first off use CO2 while the plants sleep. CO2 should be used while the lights are on. The plants will die if the Co2 levels are too high and rule of thumb a CO2 meter should be used it will help keep the ppm at the right levels to give you great results.do not know if you are making your own CO2 or using a generator. this advise is solely based on a generator not homemade CO2

4. bagWell those home made and small scale co2 i know rent efficient enough. However if i took a clear bag and put it over the plants for half the light cycle or so would it work?...i would obviously not do this without some way to test the ppm.

5. ^

To add to what Realstyles said, co2 is only beneficial when the lights are turned on because when plants do photosynthesis they inhale co2 and exhale oxygen, and vise versa when the lights are off. in theory you would want to add oxygen to the room while the lights are off. what i would do if i had the money for a well equiped room id have an oxygen tank set at the same time the lights turn off and a co2 tank to kick in when the lights turn back on.

6. co2 is useless during the dark/night cycle. plants only use co2 during the light/day cycle. in addition to get the full bennefit of using co2, you have to have a good ammount of light. The more light you have, the more co2 you can use....up to a certain limit. At some point it will just be too much which is bad.

Also when using co2 plants prefer the temp to a be little bit hotter than normal

7. Also, if your grow room is not sealed air tight, and if you have a ventilation system in your grow room, then co2 is a complete waste of your money and will do nothing except escape right out of the grow area.

8. Plants close their stomata during the dark period. Closed stomata means they do not interact with the atmosphere, therefore CO2 in the atmosphere will do nothing.

9. Ok i understand now that they wont use Co2 at night. Thank you to everyone that explained it in detail for me.

However the reason im asking about Co2 is my temps are a little hotter than normal so i would like add Co2 so equal it out for them.

If i got a meter or tester and put a clear plastic bag that was sealed around the edge of the pot during the plants light cycle and i pumped 1300 ppm of co2 in their would this work? or would it cause nay problems bc their is a bag over the plant?

The reason for the bag is i have no way to seal the room off currently. Also i have a 400 watt hps with a diy cool tube which would just suck it all out anyways.

10. I have never used CO2, but if I understand it correctly, it is used as a supplement to the air already there, not as the sole source. If you seal a bag around your plant and make it air tight, and only provide it CO2, I think it will die. Thats why you are always reading about keeping a fresh air supply moving through your grow space.

And, Even if it could be done in that manner, you would need a constant supply of CO2, a professional setup with a controller, not something that you could do with paintball tanks.

If you keep everything else optimum in your grow, and your temps are a little high. you will be just fine. You really don't need the CO2 to make it successful, just concentrate on keeping every other aspect of the grow as healthy as possible. Keep fresh air moving through, use the right amount of water, the right amount of nutes, make sure they get enough light, keep track of the humidity levels. Do all that, and your plants can survive and thrive even in temps that are a bit high.

11. don't use a bag. Just buy some black+white poly, and hand from sealing tape good along endges and seems and you have an airtight area, or else..just buy a grow tent. but don't use bags cuz 1st, probably impossible to get the right amount of co2 in there. will either all fall out (cuz its heavier than air) or else be way to high of a level. 2nd, even if you did get the right amount in the bag, its such a small area, that the plant would use it up, then exhale oxygen, and you'd end up with less co2 than using plain air.

btw...cool tubes (or an air cooled reflector) are how you STOP all the co2 from getting sucked out, while still cooling your light. you have both the intake and outake for the light outside of the room/tent/sealed off area

You're half right, half wrong. like i was saying above...if using bags, you'd most likely either let too much co2 escape or completely overdose it (like what ur talkin bout) but the reason why you circulate air through is to get more co2. people say "always circulate fresh air in" but to a plant co2 is fresh air. with out fresh air circulating through (unless of course you use supplemental co2) then the oxygen levels would build up and eventually the plants would run out of co2.

12. Ok look guys im not asking you to tell me what i can screw up. Im just simply asking if something is possible. First of all i know co2 is heavier than air and that is why id be filling and testing from the top of the bag...and i never stated how big the bag id be looking at using would be either...but i got all the info i need.

It is possible for someone who isnt capable of sealing the room or spending hundreds of dollars on a tent right now to add co2 with bags to the plant as long as it was monitered. I would have a ppm meter at the base of the plant and i have a regulator that i can hook up to my co2 tank. I have a brain and watch my ladies very closely so after one day of doing this i would be able to get it down so that i know when to add co2 each day to keep it within a certain range. The main reason i was asking this was to see if the bag being over the plant would negatively effect it.

13. Ok look guys im not asking you to tell me what i can screw up. Im just simply asking if something is possible. First of all i know co2 is heavier than air and that is why id be filling and testing from the top of the bag...and i never stated how big the bag id be looking at using would be either...but i got all the info i need.

It is possible for someone who isnt capable of sealing the room or spending hundreds of dollars on a tent right now to add co2 with bags to the plant as long as it was monitered. I would have a ppm meter at the base of the plant and i have a regulator that i can hook up to my co2 tank. I have a brain and watch my ladies very closely so after one day of doing this i would be able to get it down so that i know when to add co2 each day to keep it within a certain range. The main reason i was asking this was to see if the bag being over the plant would negatively effect it.

14. co2 isnt used until the lights are on. but the co2 will build up at night and once the lights turn on theyre gonna go to town. but it wont be used at night.

photosynthesis is what uses co2, and it requires light. so doing it only at night would be less beneficial than during light hours.

15. Do your CO2 tanks have on/off valves? If yes just take the proper diameter tubing and make a stand to hold the tube around your grow. Poke holes into the tube and just turn on your CO2 tank every few hours and let it flood the plants with CO2. its easy.

16. I agree. CO2 will only work will the lights are on. The plant uses Co2 during photosynthesis. You are wasting CO2 during the dark period. CO2 Boost is you best bet. Put it on a timer and forget it. You should always have a fan blowing on your plants as well. This will help in circulation and FAE.