co2 and venting .... help me plz

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by joe_fresh, Jan 14, 2010.

1. hello ,

im curently setting up a room and i ran into a problem.
    i was hoping to put my co2 in my room and use the 5 ton central ac and to cool my grow, only venting every hour or so, but i have talked to my ac set up guy and he says that the ac compressor wont work unless its hot outside, like spring summer and fall.

so this brings me to my problem.

my only next option for cooling is to bring the air directly from outside(avrg -15 C), and just vent every time it gets too hot, but then at this point i just waist my co2.

so how should i run the co2 and venting system to have my grow room at optimal perfomance, this meaning not wasting co2 and keeping my temps under control?

just my room and venting specs:

length: 24 ft
    width: 11 ft
    hight: 7 ft
    1848 cubic ft total

co2 is on a controller and not a timer

(2)1200cfm 12" vortex fans with scrubber one for intake and one for exaust

12 1000w super hps hortilux bulbs

2. Well I dont know much about the central A/C units but depending on the controller you have you could control the vent fans with it also. The Sentinel controllers can turn off the CO2 when the vent fans kick on and then once the fans turn off the CO2 is able to function again. Saves the CO2 from not being sucked out faster than it can pump.

Your space is big so not sure a large window unit would make much sense for you...but you could just build a box around the window unit and then vent the hot air outside.

Numb

3. i see what you mean, i havent baught my controller yet, so that is an option, the only problem with that is i dont understand how it all works to keep my temps under control at the same time, the controller i was looking at was alot simpler than that, could someone go into depth about how to hook it up and all, im really clueless on this, by brain is just stumped :confused::confused::smoking:, so if anyone can enlighten me on this would be great, thx:D

4. hey joe, as you know im not quite as far as you so i cant answer your questions, but my buddy used a couple of window units with his grow, i do not think he was using co2, but at least these you could turn on/off like you thought you could with the central ac.

5. window units arnt an option for me, besides, with the temps as low as ther go round here the window ac would just be blowing the air from outside, and the compressor wouldnt actually be working...i just dont know what im gonna do , i got my clones comming this weekend and i gotta rush and figure everything out :(

6. if your gonna go with window units and your planning on turning them off/on, make sure you get mechanical controls...alot of dig. ones wont cycle on and off if power is cut.

Numb

7. the only option i can think of is hooking my vents up directly outside(intake and exaust), and putting my fans on a thermostat, and hooking up my co2 to a controller,but at this point i would be wasting co2 like crazy.
    what i really need is a water cooled ac, but the one i need is 2600$, and seeing i already have the 5 ton ac compressor in the back, i dont wanna go and buy another unit if i dont have to.
    this is why im trying to find a solution to my problem, worst comes to worst i will vent outside and wait till spring to use co2, but i really dont want to waste my time with weak harvests from un-enriched air.

8. well today i gotta get going and finnish the venting, looks like no co2 till first harvest/spring, for my exaust i got 12" 1200 cfm vortex, but i havent baught an intake yet, i was thinking of going with the 8" 750 cfm vortex, anyone got any thaughts on this? should i have a bigger intake or is the one 8" good, i am unsure if i should go with the 10" or the 8" for my intake. any help or suggestions would be aprecieated.

9. The ratio for exhaust vs intake is 4/1, the 12" is rated at approx 1700 cfm & the 8" is rated at approx. 745. Are you running ducted hoods? For 12 lights you'll need outside temps in the low 30's and you'll need to duct the cool air and build collector box's with 12"x6" adjustable grills. Forget Co2 the room won't hold anything close to 1500ppm I think you should consider 2 mini splits 2.5 ton each & locate the compresser in another area. I think your going to run out of room with 12 lights. Peace

im curently setting up a room and i ran into a problem.
    i was hoping to put my co2 in my room and use the 5 ton central ac and to cool my grow, only venting every hour or so, but i have talked to my ac set up guy and he says that the ac compressor wont work unless its hot outside, like spring summer and fall.

so this brings me to my problem.

my only next option for cooling is to bring the air directly from outside(avrg -15 C), and just vent every time it gets too hot, but then at this point i just waist my co2.

so how should i run the co2 and venting system to have my grow room at optimal perfomance, this meaning not wasting co2 and keeping my temps under control?

just my room and venting specs:

length: 24 ft
    1848 cubic ft total

co2 is on a controller and not a timer

(2)1200cfm 12" vortex fans with scrubber one for intake and one for exaust

12 1000w super hps hortilux bulbs[/QUOTE]

10. The ratio for exhaust vs intake is 4/1, the 12" is rated at approx 1700 cfm & the 8" is rated at approx. 745. Are you running ducted hoods? For 12 lights you'll need outside temps in the low 30's and you'll need to duct the cool air and build collector box's with 12"x6" adjustable grills. Forget Co2 the room won't hold anything close to 1500ppm I think you should consider 2 mini splits 2.5 ton each & locate the compresser in another area. I think your going to run out of room with 12 lights. I'd suggest using both 12" as intakes and use an 8" for exhaust. 4/1 ratio wont give you enough intake to cool the room. Sentenal makes a good controller to run the room. Peace

11. length: 24 ft
    1848 cubic ft total:eek:

Happy days m8! wishing you all the best on that grow :)

12. well if you check my link you will see the room i got to use, and ive decided to get the water-cooled a/c, and go with a CGE room instead, so i wont be venting, thx for the help guys anyway

13. Smart move with that set-up your good year round...Good Growing

14. I'm not sure if anyone has told you this yet, but your AC buddy should be able to install a "fan cycling switch" AKA low pressure switch. If the freon pressure is too low (cold outside) The ac will not work correctly just like your friend said. The LPS will not let the condenser fan motor run, once freon temps rise from pressure created by the compressor the fan will cycle on until a pre-determined low pressure has been reached then the fan will cycle off. the only down side to this is that you have to evacuate all the freon out of the system and weld in a fitting for the switch. These switches are used in refrigeration mostly.

15. yeah he did, otherwise i would use the 5 ton A/c outside, istead i got 2 3-ton water cooled a/c's bieng placed in a separate room , my origional idea was to use the 5 ton but had to change plans