Co2 Alternative

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by obierice, Apr 25, 2006.

1. i was wondering if this is true...my fried has a grow set up and instead of using co2 tanks for his plants..he uses a lil home made machine-like thing...its a 5 gallon barrel that is filled with water and maybe 1/4 vinegar...ever seconds or so a bit of baking soda sprinkle down causing the barrel to bubble ...im guessing that release co2 into the air...is this good for the plants or even working method to release co2?

2. Yes but, I doubt it will make enough CO2 to make a difference. Plus, you open the door up once and all your CO2 is gone. My advice, save your time and money on CO2 and just go into the plant room multiple times a day to breath CO2 into the room. That should do just fine.

3. a good way to make co2 (read in ask Ed book) is get a old tub with a lid like a paint tub or somit put bout 2 table spoons of yeast and 3 cups of sugar and fill half way with water put a lil hole in top of lid and every day just cover hole with hand and give a quick shake youll get plenty co2 from that

• Like Like x 1
  4. ty for responding i will look forward to that when i start my own grow.

5. at your local beer brewing shop you can get those big ol tall/round glass tubs with the hose the comes off the top. then do the yeast + sugar and warm water, and you can deliver it through that hose... just an alt to the bucket. oeace

6. I was wondering if yeast could grow any better with more than sugar and water. A little research turned up this. I'll sumarize what I understood. Yeast has 3 methods of producing energy:
    C[SUB]6[/SUB]H[SUB]12[/SUB]O[SUB]6(glucose)[/SUB] --------------> 2[SUB]2[/SUB]H[SUB]5[/SUB]OH(ethanol) + 2CO[SUB]2[/SUB] + [​IMG](energy)
    C[SUB]6[/SUB]H[SUB]12[/SUB]O[SUB]6[/SUB](glucose) + 6O[SUB]2[/SUB] --------------> 6CO[SUB]2[/SUB] + 6H[SUB]2[/SUB]O(duuuuuh... water) + [​IMG](energy)
    C[SUB]2[/SUB]H[SUB]5[/SUB]OH(ethanol) + 3O[SUB]2[/SUB] --------------> 2CO[SUB]2[/SUB] + 3H[SUB]2[/SUB]O + [​IMG]
    also, yeast grows optimally at ph 5.
    So, if I understand this, you can get better yeast growth (i.e. CO[SUB]2[/SUB] production) by adjusting the ph of your yeast-water, shouldn't be too hard for a good grower to do ;). However, the big news here is that yeast can generate 3 times more CO[SUB]2[/SUB] with the same amount of sugar if it just has enough oxygen. So I assume using hydrogen peroxide instead of water would work perfectly.
    Another possibility is using an aquarium bubbler to oxygenate the water (personally, I won't be trying this, as I'm rather fond of my oxygen, so are the roots of my plants). If this worked, you would only have to add sugar, as yeast can make use of it's ethanol byproduct with enough oxygen, but you might have to pour water out if your container is sealed. I'm not sure on that one. I think using hydrogen peroxide, sugar, and replenishing both / pouring some out / as needed would be best. I'm not sure how easy it is to adjust the ph of the peroxide but if you can get it to ph5 without releasing too much of the oxygen, then that should be perfect! I'll be trying this but I have nothing previous to compare the results to. Maybe some more experienced grower / someone with a means of measuring CO[SUB]2[/SUB] can try this? Happy Growing.

p.s. :wave:Howdy city! This is my first post, as this is the first thing I've really had to contribute. I've certainly enjoyed my informative time lurking here, ¡Viva La Homegrown!
    p.p.s. I'm tempted but hesitant to share the details of my favorite hobby; if anyone has any words of encouragement about posting here and/or what is actually stored on the server, please pm me.

• Like Like x 1

Grasscity Deals Near You