Cns17 grow/bloom?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Rsa0420, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Anyone use the coco version just pickd sum up wantd opions thanks

2. CNS17 is probably my favorite non-organic nutrient system for coco. It is cheap and an easy 1-part solution.

20ml of 2-2-3 Bloom per gallon provides this profile.

~110ppm of N
    ~50ppm of P
    ~140ppm of K
    ~140ppm of Ca
    ~30ppm of Mg

My concern with the Bloom system is that it contains so much Calcium. 140ppm is more than I would normally run during the transition and for the first few weeks of Bloom. Personally, I would probably stay under 15ml/gallon of CNS17 Coco Bloom (75% of the numbers listed above) to keep Calcium under 100ppm. Then I would use supplements to get the Macro nutrients where I want them because I am a stickler for my ratios. Other growers have had a lot of success simply following the instructions and you may want to not over think things like I do. CNS17 Coco/Soil is fine as it is for RO water sources, but if you are using unfiltered water then trouble could arise with the extra micro.

With CNS17 I added 2ml/gallon of 0-10-6 Hydroplex for a 20ppm boost to P and a 25ppm Boost to K during flowering. I also added about 20ppm of Epsom Salt to bring the Magnesium level up to about 1/2 of Calcium, and a Potassium Silicate to help out with those elements. The CNS17 Ripe is a very good product also and I started with low levels of this product early on in flowering to help keep NPK up without the Ca boost (Ripe has only 0.15% Ca).

I prefer more Nitrogen than Calcium after the transition, but that's just me. It is my only "gripe" with CNS17 Coco/Soil Bloom, but I think that the results will speak for themselves and it'd be best for you to give them an honest shot your first time. Follow the instructions, and the second time around maybe some of my supplementation advice will be useful.

3. Thanks for the info really appresoate it im gunnna run it with the feefinh schefual and go from there if they neef anything.......... Also I was using foxfarms 3 part only n cups now im transplantin to smart pots n figurd id gey coco stuff any recomadations for the switch

4. Good stuff...Issues with coco are cal/mag and is why the cns17 was made for coco grows. Hence the high rate of calcium
    I always add 2 tbls of lime to my soil and supplement with 1/2 dose of cal/mag during veg if plant show they need it...

5. Lime? Wat kind from like from grow store or sumthin I can buy from any store

6. I use a agriculture lime from a nursery. Dolomite lime is readily available just about anywhere. Oyster shell can also be used, but may need to outsource.
    Don't use hydrated lime. It is very touchy an best used as a top dress and drench. The Dolomite will slowly release calcium as the plant needs it...
    2 tbls per gallon of soil mixed in real good....

7. I skip the bloom and go right with ripe, its been working pretty good for me. I just go off the label and the look of the plants. Its just a pit stop on my way to organic though. SCMC seems to know his shit though, so Id roll with it haha.

8. Im still stuck on pure blend, asked my bud for the cns17 but got me the pure blend soil formula . next time

9. JFI....Botanicares custom feeding schedule for cns17 includes pure blend...;)

10. I switched to CNS17 mid veg and have had great results since. I just switched to the ripe and i am 32 days into flower. All of the sudden my plants are showing signs of some sort of diff. I did a nutrient calculation on my ripe, silica, Epsom salt combo im using and got this.
    N-39.81
    P-85.59
    K-139.33
    Ca-49.76
    Mg-19.90 ( this is actually much higher due to using .5 grams per gallon of Epsom, not sure how to calculate ppm of epsom salt, guaranteed analysis on the salt is MG - 9.8%)

The problem i see with the ripe is that the N seems too low? otherwise this stuff has been great.

11. When I skipped the bloom, I used a little of the grow with the ripe to offset the low N. The only thing Ive noticed about the CNS line (across different strains in different veg/flower periods) is the tendency for a sulfur deficiency, epsom to the rescue!!.

12. i use just grow and ripe and add some cal mag also. been usign it for three grows now and i like to use 20ml of it and 10ml of my cal mag per gallon and water with the nutes every second or third watering

13. Im digging this thread! How do you guys calculate ppm of your nutes? Im interested to profile what I run.

14. This post is from SCMC.... he knows his shit.

>>>>"Calculate your ppm's too. It's super easy.

1ml of 1% of a nutrient in 1 gallon of water is 2.654ppm. So, 5ml of 2% in 1 gallon would be 5x2x2.654=26.54ppm

"P" on the label is P2O5, which is only 43% elemental phosphorus. Take the calculated ppm and multiply it by 0.43 to get the true phosphorus ppm.

"k" on the label is K2O which is only 84% elemental potassium. Take the calculated ppm and multiply it by 0.84 to get the true potassium ppm.

Another way to do it is to take the percentage, multiply it by 10,000 to convert to ppm. Then multiply the ppm by the milliliters of nutrient used. Then divide that by the number of milliliters of the final solution, including water.

So... (5% x 10,000 x 2ml)/3782ml = 26.44ppm

Calculate out each element and stay inside a reasonable range for each. As a very loose guideline I'd suggest sticking somewhere in these ranges:

N: 80 to 150ppm
    P: 30 to 60ppm
    K: 80 to 250ppm
    Ca: 60 to 120ppm
    Mg: 30 to 80ppm
    Su: 60 to 120ppm
    Fe: 2 to 8ppm
    Si: 10 to 25ppm

Everything else is in really minuscule amounts, some can only be represented in parts per billion. I like to have potassium as my most prevalent element when growing cannabis. I also like to cut way down on the calcium and boost the magnesium as soon as flowering hits. You don't have to slam your plants with phosphorus, but remember that you're only getting 43% of the value listed on the label. A 5-10-7 still contains more Nitrogen than anything else."

and here is the entire thread:

http://forum.grasscity.com/coco-coir/935045-coco-gh-nova-bloom.html#post12719293

15. Thanks! I should have searched cause all honesty I didnt... But very much appreciated.
    I just started adding Moab to the cns17 line so im using;
    Cns17 grow, bloom,ripe (varying weeks)
    Liquid karma
    Silica blast (sparingly)
    Sweet berry (sparingly)
    Superthrive (veg)
    Hydroplex (late flower)
    Cal mag (not often as I added dolomite to my coco mix and dont see a need)
    And now Moab which is 1-52-32 (sparingly)

Im gonna run my numbers and try and set up a schedule rather than my current "oh my plants in this stage week x and looks like it needs more x" I dont like that I want to set it up to exact amounts and then add I see it needs

16. Hey everyone got anothr question with this line...heres my deal currently I veg with6 cfl 65ks and a small blue light I veg in a box 2' tall but can go to 3' by 2' wide by 17" deep... And flower in a 2 by 3 with a 400 hps I use my cns17 2 part and nothing else but I want just a little bit bigger plants whats something I should add now theres just so much so lookn for ideas from ne1 please and thank you

17. Plants need energy to grow. Energy+Health*Time=Bigger plants.

So, more light in the veg chamber and more time to get larger. Elemental nutrition that you "feed" your plant is more like vitamins. The light your plant gets is the real "food" so if you want a larger plant you need to feed it more photosynthetically active radiation. For about $100 you could get a 250w HPS ballast and a Ceramic Metal Halide bulb which would be an improvement over your current vegetative setup.

18. You don't need MOAB and Hydroplex, at least not at the same time. Use these products sparingly.

Personally, I hate the sweeteners but they do have 0.5% Magnesium in them, and at 10ml/gallon (suggested full strength) that's a 12-15ppm boost. For the price though I think CES Mag Amped is a better choice. I have been getting the best flavor results from a combination of CES Uncle John's Blend and Humboldt Nutrients FlavorFul Fulvic acid. Things like Sweet, Bud Candy, and Honey ES, have resulted in a similar sort of powdered sugar flavor across all my strains. It isn't terrible but I prefer the natural flavor of my phenotypes.

Don't worry about being sparing with the Silica. That's good stuff. Full strength every time is fine.

With the MOAB...

1 gram per gallon (1 teaspoon in 5 gallons) results in:
    1000mg * 52% P * 0.43 = 223.6mg of P per 3.78L
    223.6mg / 3.78L = ~59mg/L = ~59ppm

So, 1 teaspoon in 5 gallons adds at least 60ppm of phosphorus to your solution... Which is A LOT of phosphorus. I wouldn't recommend going over 1/4 teaspoon in 5 gallons for an approximate 15ppm boost to phosphorus. Although 15ppm doesn't sound like a lot... it could be another 25% of that particular element to your solution. 25% more of something is a dramatic change to the chemistry... 60ppm would probably more than double your Phosphorus level. Maybe good around days 40 to 45 of flowering... Maybe not necessary though.

MOAB is what you want to use sparingly.

19. Yeah, the ripe doesn't carry much nitrogen, although around day 45 on a 60 day strain is when I usually start cutting back on it anyway. I think for the next bit you should do what the directions say and use 10ml of Bloom and 10ml of Ripe instead of the full 20ml of Ripe alone. This should help balance the N:p ratio and keep the Potassium level high.

Calculating dry salts to ppm isn't too tough.

Firstly... mg/L = ppm.

So, all we need to do are some conversions and then to divide by liters of water.

0.5 grams = 500 milligrams
    Epsom Salt is 9.8% Magnesium
    500mg * 0.098 = 49mg of Magnesium
    This is in 1 gallon which equals ~3.78 Liters
    49mg/3.78L = ~13mg/L = 13ppm

So, you are adding about 13ppm of Magnesium (and about 20ppm of Sulfate) with 0.5g per gallon of Epsom salt (1/2 teaspoon in 5 gallons).