CnS' first ever grow-400w 2x2x4 Cab*Lots of pics*

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by CnS, Jul 1, 2009.

1. #1 CnS, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
    Hey GC!!

First off thanks for stopin by my journal. please feel free to pull up a chair and chill for a while:smoking:

Please give me your opinions, good or bad!! I appriciate you all! :gc_rocks: Although Ive been studying pretty good for about 3 month now:D I have had a love affair with our ladies for 20 years :love:

Ive finally decided to take the plunge and begin my wonderful, yet challenging journey. I will be saving a ton of money:eek::eek: on my meds!! cant beat that!! :hello:

OK so I finally finished my cab. Its 2x2x4. (not too big)

I'm running a 400 watt HPS in a 6'' cooltube.

I have one 4'' and two 2'' passive intakes.

I have the Hydrofarm Active air 265 blower
    Hydrofarm - Active Air ACF265 265 CFM ActiveAir Blower System

I am using this to pull through the cooltube and PUSH through my DIY scrubber

I made this DIY scrubber- Thanks DurbanPoision (ICMAG) by way of Sun (OG)DIY - Build a Carbon Scrubber For Dummies! - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

I followed Durban's guide for core size and length per CFM and made a 6'' core x 11.5'' long with an 8'' outter.

This scrubber looks WAY OVERKILL for my cab (2-3 plants), Im sure it is but Im not worried about it, it just gives me more scrubbing power for the future.

I am not planning on any long duct runs, just the Cooltube to 6'' to 4'' reducer to blower attached to scrubber.

Is my blower too powerful to attach directly to this scrubber? If so how long of a duct run to dissipate the CFM's to make the two compatible?

Does this setup seem like it will work? Do you think I will be creating enough negitive pressure (with scrubber) to keep the system working properly? The door has rubber weather guard around it to create an air tight seal around it. The box itself as a whole is NOT air tight, but for the most part it is light tight.

Im going to be starting from clones for my first couple of grows untill I get this thing dialed in. Im in CA an have my card so clones come easy, plus i figure Id save a little time. Im thiinking about putting a couple of 6500K cfl's during veg being I only have an HPS.

Here are some pics of my equiptment that I will be starting with.

Please help this noob out with some comments and recommendations:D

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      25.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      3.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      3.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      3.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      5.4 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      3.6 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      4 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      5.6 KB
      Views:
  2. what up GC!

Its been a couple days! but thats not for lack of trying.....!!! Bought my wife Sims3 and havent been able to squeeze in any CPU time since!

I got a chance to grab a couple of goodys since my last post. I picked up a new 400w Plantmax bulb, the 6'' hydrofarm adapter for my blower and scrubber, a 6'' fan, a wireless temp guage, and a 125v 60hz 15amp powerstrip.

Got my blower and scrubber hooked up together. I decided to have as minimal ammount of duct run as possible. I have my cab in a walk in closet, and with the door closed its 100% QUITER than I ever could've imagined! Now if it only works!! I can gently feel air coming outta of it so I got my fingers crossed!!

I forgot to get aaa batteries while at walfart..... so gotta wait to get an accurate temp reading, it feels about 80 IMO.... but we shall see.

I got a chance to set up the cab in its permanent place this weekend..... which I am EXTREMELY happy about. I also added another 2'' passive intake hole in the back of the cab.

I tested for negitive pressure with a piece of paper, and it holds in place over each passive intake hole, seperately with the door shut. At the same time, the door doesn't "suck" close either. Like Ive said before the cab, for the most part is light tight...... It is by no means air tight. Thats why I went with one more 2'' hole than a 5x5 vent. (If I block the 3 2'' holes the door DOES suck close) I also forgot to, but now have added the wing that came with the tube.

here are some pics of my new stuff and set up. I WANT MY BABIES!!!!!! but Im going on vacation in a couple of days so I guess its not all to bad!

What do you think??

OH!!!

And Ive decided to do a 4 plant scrog. (you are right Herbal, thanks!!)

Gunna go 2 weeks veg and 6-8 weeks flower. I'm leaning toward organic based nutes but havent decided which brand yet.

Ill be in before I bounce outta here but untill then...... safe smokin and enjoy the pics!!

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      3.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      2.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      4.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      3.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      2.3 KB
      Views:
  3. #3 CnS, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2009
    hey peeps!

when I got home I checked on my babies I noticed the bottom of the cups had tiny holes in them so I opened them up. When I did I noticed some roots, cool! this was the Matauska Mist (MM), so I fliped it over and pulled it out of the cup. There were some visible roots but not to many. I'll transplant tomarrow or thursday.

I did the same to the Seni Star (SS) but didnt see any roots. I flipped it over and pulled the cup off anyway..... the dirt was lightly damp but it didnt stay in a ball!! I did see a little roots (not nearlyas many as the MM) I lost some dirt but think I saved it in time. I put it back in the cup and lightly patted it down. Its been 4 hours and the plant looks good, so hopefully disaster averted.

The MM looks GREAT! It tends to grow horizontal rather then verticle (from what Ive read), so it is perfect for LST. I pulled 2 out of the 3 branches down to start the training already. Tons of growth sights all over! Im really excited about this one

The SS.... What can I say, she looks skinny and weak, but I see some promise yet. There are 4-5 growth sites on the stem so I think Im going to just have to baby her. After the cup incident, she leaned alittle so I decided to go ahead a tie it down also, just a slight bend with this one!!

85.1 in the box right now. I'll change the AC this weekend so I can keep the closet door closed for good!

1st & 2nd pic is MM 3rd & 4th is SS...... tell me what you think!!

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      4.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      4.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      4.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      3.8 KB
      Views:
  4. OK so I have my brother coming over tonight to install an outlet in my closet.

This works out great cause I have to get in the attic to do this. (he's a journeyman electrician by the way, so I have TOTAL confidence in his ability)

Well since Im going to be up in the attic tonight, there is no better time than now to run my AC to the closet, why wait till this weekend!!!

It's 101* outside right now, so that should make my attic a cool 130 or so...... hopefully it only takes about 15 mins up there.

Ill take pics of the work as it progresses and post them this evening.

Later Bladers!!!

5. #5 CnS, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2009
    Sorry for the delay peeps!!

But we got ALOT of good progress in the developement of our CIC (cab ina closet)

Quick info- Closet- 240 cuft, (lights) off/on 77-83* Cab- off/on 78-86* (with closet door OPEN) if I close the door temps shoot to 95+ inside of my cab

The next few posts are going to be the steps I've taken within the last few days to improve our heat enviro

First my brother in law came over and installed a GFCI outlet in the closet so I can now be totally secure. (no pic sorry)

Then last night was the big work night...... I put in about 7 hours.

First I got in the attic and moved the 4'' bathroom AC vent to the closet.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      5.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      5.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 KB
      Views:
  6. After I got done with the AC I was quite happy with how it turned out, then......

I looked arond the closet and was kind of ashamed at myself!

It was a mess!! so I moved a bunch off boxes out of the closet and generally freed up some a bunch of space. Cool!!! time to roast one....

As Im gettin cloudy I go and check on my babies Then..... WTF!!! my cab was a F@ckin mess so I pulled out everything and cleaned it real good.

I also put a "filter" over my passive intakes

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      3.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      3.2 KB
      Views:
  7. So yesterday my wife told me I can buy another clone because the Sensi Star is looking Quit sad (VERY small root base, I got it at a different club the my norm.....NEVER AGAIN)

Here is a pic of all three now. The new addition to the family is what we call U19(1st pic), not totally sure exact strain, but a REEEEAL HEAVY Indica. (from my normal club)

Matanuska Mist (2nd pic) is coming along nicely. Very lancky branches but definately alot of growth sites.

Sensi Star (3rd pic) is not looking good. Im going to try to keep it going but Im not worried about it. I used its big pot for the U19, and put it back in its cup because of the small roots.

Ive had the MM and SS for 5 days, and the U for 2.

The new set up(4th pic)

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      7.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      4.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      4.5 KB
      Views:
  8. So when I went to the club yesterday and picked up my U19, the guys told me to come back.......

wait a second.........it was all a day before!!!!

So I got my U19 on friday and the guys told me to come back on Saturday and they'll have something for me.

So I show up yeaterday and this is what they have for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the pic is not good for size, but i had to rearange the cab again HAPPILY and this is now what it looks like. this is a good pic to see the new BEAST!!!

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      5.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      5.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Ok! OK! now that Ive put my eyes back its time to smoke another and tackle the true problem of the heat.

I pretty much know what the problem is (1st pic) My scrubber and ballast next to each other next to my cab with no fan, tucked under a shelf sitting there collecting heat. I also have ZERO exhaust of the closet! so.......... I have a dilema!!!!!

a couple options

1) buy 2 CPU fans approx 80 cfm ea, move the ballast up to the top shelf and exhaust the closet 24/7 right above the ballast.(2nd pic) the space between the top shelf and ceiling is about 1.5ft

2) Buy 1 CPU and do as above, AND 1 4'' duct booster from HD and put it in the AC duct boosting into the closet.(24/7)

Opinions Please!... Im going to post this in the AB side also. Im not getting a lot of responses here, but thats ok I love doing this stuff

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      4.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      3 KB
      Views:
  10. So here we are up to date :) Here are the only nutes I plan on giving my plants. This is my first time growing and I really dont want to press my luck:)

I Transplanted the Beast today in FFOF, it is 3 weeks and in a 4'' block(roots hangout all over!!). I had it under light for 12 hours and it dried a good ammount but not all the way.

All the plants are due for a good watering tomarrow. Im going to add one 1/4 strength grow and super thrive and water them then. Got 5 gallons of distilled H2O for $.68 ea.

Last grow feeding..... going to 12's in three days with the start of bloom:):)

Attached Files:

• 087.JPG
      087.JPG
      File size:
      4.2 KB
      Views:
  11. Cool! had a little trouble wit the PC fans but got it figured out. Found a 12v 1amp charger layin around. The 2 fans each pull .3 amps so Im good to go.

Im setting the fans up in about an hour and firing them up. first I gotta water/feed then Ill get to work. The girls are finally showing a little bit of droop because they are thirsty. Like I said before I DONT want to over water, I want to be SURE they are ready for a drink!!!

More pics to come of the fan install.

12. What up my fellow constituants!!

The next few post are going to be of the steps I took to install my PC fans to exhaust my closet.

I bought a couple of 120mm fans, rated at 75cfm ea. (closet is 240cuft)

I proceeded to cut a couple of holes in the ceiling.(I had to redo this because the first holes were a little to small).

After that was completed I took a smoke break

and tried to think of another way to control "the Gift".... More on that later!!

So back to work I went...... I got a screen and covered the holes to keep shit out of the fans.

Smoke break time (real time)

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      4.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      2.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      3.2 KB
      Views:
  13. I'mmmmmmmm Baaaaaaaaaaack............

Alright this next set of pics is of the fans installed and a "stack" I made

with the 2 holes made and the screen up I put the fans up on the ceiling.

After that was done I installed my "stack" over the fans and almost down to the shelf.

** The STACK is a box that goes over my ballast and draw its heat directly up into the attic.***

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      2.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      4.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      4.1 KB
      Views:
  14. So here we are.......

I thought of a pretty good way to "LST" the Gift. Its gunna be tough, but I think I can get a handle on her if I switch to flower in a couple of days.

If I have to sacrafice some light to the other girls Im OK with that.......

Im gunna do a DIY thread and come back with the before and after pics.

15. Good evening GCers!

I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT TO MAKE!!!!!!!!

I am proud to say that after installing the PC fans to exhaust the closet, My cab temp is a steady 81.5* This is with the door shut and locked! I dont even have a fan inside the closet. Im sure if I put one in I can shave off another degree or two. Im not to worried aobut it.

Now here is the Gift after I tied her down. You can see my DIY thread in my sig

She's been tied down now and under light for 8 hours. She has alread turn back up to the light!

Im going 18/6 for 2 more days or when they need water next. Which ever comes first.

Good night Ya'll

Attached Files:

• 130.JPG
      130.JPG
      File size:
      4.9 KB
      Views:
    • 131.JPG
      131.JPG
      File size:
      5.4 KB
      Views:
    • 137.JPG
      137.JPG
      File size:
      4.6 KB
      Views:
  16. So there you are!! My journal has been transfered here for your viewing pleasure!!!!

Enjoy and comment please! Im a noob and still need advice for the pros so help a fellow blade out!!!

17. What you need is 2 inline duct fans there pretty cheap and do wonders i had a similar problem teh inline duct fans solved it u need to run air through your reflector and out of ur grow room

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

18. Thanks for the advise Doobie12!

Im only running one blower to keep my amps/wattage down. Im running in a closet in a loft and I have all my electronics up there as well drawing power (TV DVD and such) My closet is running about 81 and cab is 83, Im ok with this but still trying for lower!! Im going to move my scrubber above my cab so the heat radiating from the fan and being pushed out of the scrubber is up closer to my closet exhaust fans.

Right now if you look at my set up my scrubber is a MASSIVE heat trap under that shelf next to my cab...... which by the way is next to THREE passive intake holes! So bassically HALF my intake air is heated by the bulb. and the other half is ACed!! GOTTA GET THAT THING MOVED!!!!!!!

19. #20 CnS, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
    What it do GCers!!!!

I put in some work last night to my closet. I moved my scrubber like I described in my pevious post, and now Im here to show the new set up.

It amazed me to see how much of a difference moving a couple peices of equiptment can make in reducing heat buildup.

(1st pic) is how I had the set up prior.

(2nd pic) is the new set up, I cut open the box and extended it to cover my blower motor. In my previous set up it was radiating A TON O heat and traping it under the shelf where I had THREE passive intakes within 10 inches of the scrubber!!!!! NOT NO MOE!!!!!

(3rd pic) is the area where the scrubber WAS! Can you see what Im talking about (heat trap)????

(4th pic) is the closet(inside)/cab(outside) temps 3 hours after rearranging the inside, I was inside the closet the whole time. As you can see I am running at ambiant!! :hello::D:D:smoke:

Now all I needed to do was close up the room for the rest of the night and check the temps this morning.

(5th pic) What a BEAUTIFUL sight I awoke to this morning!! OPTIMUM growing range!!!!!! Inside(bedroom temp, opposite side of house) Outside(cab temp)

I accomplished what I set out to do!!!!:cool::D

After all was said and done I went from 92*+ down to 78* and only spent a total of $30 (2 120mm fans and 8ft of 4'' ducting)

Works better than I ever thought!!!!!

if you are having heat probs, try some of these easy changes. You CANNOT cool a cab much more than ambiant temps. Work on those first and the cab will follow.

Attached Files: