Cmh vs led vs hps???

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dankPOTHEAD1, Mar 25, 2018.

1. simply enough after this veg I’ll be dumping these CFLs for something a little nicer.... doooode at the grow store totally recommended a CMH setup for the small 36-36-72 space I’m currently growing in.

at this point I’m just looking for some other input.... especially from someone not selling me something lol.... anyways what I was told was that it would be much more cost effiencr, low temp out put, And would easily cover the space considered.

Definitely going to do my own research before hitting swiping the card on this one just figured I’d start here and see what some ppl had to say!

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK EVERYBODY ! Happy cultivating

2. Nah man, cmh/hps are to very hot setups, if you can afford it go to Horticulture lighting group and get a quantum board. Or if you’re like me and can’t spare much get a vipar spectra led, not the best but pretty damn good compared to the rest of the cheap leds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. I’ll take a look into them! Any advice helps! Thanks my friend

4. A four pack of these would pound the crap out of a 3x3 for veg.
    www.amazon.com/4x-QB132-Quantum-Boards-4000K/dp/B079YY1RWV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521950915&sr=8-2&keywords=qb132+quantum+board
    That's 4k. Plenty available because they don't sell as well as the bloom spectrums. No heatsinks needed. Just hang the boards or make a frame to mount them to.

Pair four of those up with a meanwell HLG 320h-c2100a and wire those 4 boards in series. That driver has a built in dimmer. That setup is a little over 300 watt capable.
    https://www.arrow.com/en/products/hlg-320h-c2100a/mean-well-enterprises

5. I currently have a few leds in a small space like yours. I totally recommend the leds. I tried hps and the heat output was ridiculous. I got on board with mars hydro, and haven't had any issues. I know people knock them but I've had some nice product from them, for 2 years now. Electric bill barely reflects it.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  6. If you can control the heat...???

In a 3 x 3 Id use either 2 x 315 CMH, 1 x 600 CMH, or a 600w Hortilux HPS.

At 9 Sq/Ft, and 600w = 66w Sq/Ft. Plenty of power for a 3 x 3, and will give Maximum Production.

I wouldn't use anything less than 50w Sq/Ft regardless of the light source. And Not Equal To Either. 50w Period. More if you can do it.

The Sun is over 10,000w Sq/Ft at the the equator.

7. Hey tbone, what would be the best driver for 4 qb 288’s? I always thought amps is just another measure for power but then I see these Ma AND watts. Little above my pay grade haha

8. #8 Tbone Shuffle, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    It depends on your heatsink. The HLG 550 uses the meanwell HLG-480h-c2100a for 4 288's in series. It's about 515 watts max. They also run the 600h with the HLG-600h-54a. You need a good heatsink for that additional power. The 288's are 54 volts each. Both drivers have built in dimmers if you need to back them off. The max current is between 2100-2500mA @54 volts. In series the voltage is added so the output of the driver for 4 boards has to be at least 216volts dc. A driver with the current in the model number will put out that constant current at max output in series as long as it can handle the voltage demand.
    https://www.arrow.com/en/products/hlg-480h-c2100a/mean-well-enterprises

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/hlg-600h-54a/mean-well-enterprises

There is other options like the HLG-240h-c2100a for two boards if you want to run two drivers for 4 boards.

9. Awesome thanks so much for the info mate!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Looks like my crew is buying into the cmh lights. I've never used led so I can't really say. But I like the fact that it's full spectrum and the bulb last a long time. U also can put a 3100 bulb in for full blown flower mode. I flower outdoors mostly. I used to use hps. I don't have the setup too keep it cool enough. If my crew likes it they are great farmers and that's good enough for me. I am a keep it simple grower. Still growing exactly how I started. I like no surprises. There are a few experts on here like T bone when it comes to led type lights. But the average person using them have small plants. Unless u get a good setup and really understand the difference and can get exspensive. My 315 cost 225 and it came with the Philips Argo multi spectrum bulb. I have ran mine for close to a year with no hiccups

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

11. 2 viperspectra 600 watters[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2