Clumpy soil for germination... no good?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by theotherdude, Apr 28, 2009.

1. #1 theotherdude, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
    I just bought some organic top soil (I know, not ideal, but I can't get any foxfarm in my area, and I wanted something without nutes), and I have some seeds pre-soaking already in water.When I put the soil in some keg-cups, it is very moist and clumpy. Moist enough that I can roll it in balls.

It's hard to imagine dropping a seed in this mess. I thought loose soil was preferred. Should I go out and get different soil, or is this sort of thing expected?

Thanks in advance!

2. If it is already very moist just squish it up with your fingers plant the seeds a half inch down and leave it alone till the dirt is dry on top. Then when it needs water mist it with a spray bottle a little.

Sit back and watch the miracle of nature content in the knowledge that you are bringing a useful life into the world.

Good luck and happy growing. :D

3. Top soil does vary, and yours sounds like it contains a fair proportion of clay. You can make it better draining by mixing in some builders´ sand. I have a chunk of topsoil to use also, as a result of some building excavation, and mine is nice and loamy.

But I can´t get FF either, I usually use a peat based substrate, add horseshit and wormcasts for nutrition, sand and grit for drainage, and a bit of lime.