Closet

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by begginner, Jan 11, 2009.

1. hey everyone..

recently i bought a 1000 watt hps/mh light with a huge circular shade ( looks like an umbrella ) and ive put it in this room in my house thats about 4 - 5 feet wide and about 7 - 8 feet long .. im only interested in growing 1 - 3 plants tops but it gets real hot in there.. my question is . what should i do to keep the smell and the heat down? i know i should buy a carbon filter but really around here those are expensive and i really dont have the budget for one .. also this room is all walls and 1 door so there is really no place to vent ... any suggestions?

could i just make a simple vent in the door and have a fan in front of it bringing in fresh air and a van across the room blowing air out? or have a bunch of fans aimed at my light ?

im willing to cut holes in this door and put duct work in it but i cant really have it going through my house so it has to stay in this room .. any ideas would be marvelous .. please share! thanks!

2. #2 ChronJon, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009

First off, 1k is way overkill for only growing 3 plants at a time. You could have done just as well with a 400 W. You can get Ona gel and things of the sort for smell, but by far carbon filters are the best. As for the heat, you are going to need some sort of venting, most likely some duct work will be needed or at least some holes in the walls, bottom holes for intake and holes near the top for the exhaust. It will need to be light proofed however, if you plan on flowering in this room as well.

Sounds to me like to you started like I did, you've done some research but not enough. My suggestion would be to take back that 1000 W unless you plan on flowering 10 plants at a time, this will make your cooling situation a little easier, and it is an important step.

Good luck

3. thanks for the reply...

well im going to grow more then that under it nowi changed my mind

with changing my mind i changed the room it was in .. now its in the bathroom where there is an exhaust fan

i still have the 1000 watt and the reason why i bought that over the 400 is it was only 60 dollars more and has the option of goin MH for veg and then i can switch to HPS for flowering

so my question is now this... how would i hook up proper ventilation to my exhuasdt fan? it goes right outside so i dont have to worry about that but what should i do with it? buy a stronger fan for it and get like dryer vent and vent it down to where the plants are?

thanks for helping btw everyone who responds~!

4. bump please

5. FROM the bathroom is there any adjoining rooms or attic you can get cool air FROM. Take off the cover and look at your vent in the ceiling. You may want to consider using this as your intake. I think you will need a start collar to tie into the line after removing the fart fan. Something like this, they are about $2.50 US.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...3&productId=100396965&N=10000003+90043+500023

How much more do you have to spend ?

Maybe look at an enclosed reflector but regardless you are going to need to cut some holes to bring in or exhaust air. You should also consider a DIY carbon scrubber like this one. http://www.marijuanagrowing.eu/anoth...yle-t8114.html

Be creative, at this time only you know many of the important variables to make the decisions you need to move forward. There is just not enough information in this thread.

6. the bathroom vent goes directly out of the roof outside .. there is another bathroom beside the one im growing in and thats it ..

i have about 100 dollars left to spend ...

im just lacking the knowledge in the ventilation department everything else i have figured out ..
    like i dont know what a collar is or does ..

do i just need to replace the exsisting exhaust fan with a more powerful one? or should i connect piping up to the vent down to where the plants are ? i dont know what else i could say to help picture it even more..

if someone could lay down the instructions on what i should do for venting properly that would be awesome..

i was thinking just put in a stronger exhaust fan and have fans in the room blowing towards the light and the vent and putting holes in the bottom of the bathroom door for air to come in .. any other suggestions would be awesome though

7. bump please

8. I use a air conditioner for my ventilation and it works well! It pulls air out and puts air in and regulates the temperature. A 1000 light generates alot of heat and needs some type of cooling or ventilation system and even more if its in a small space.

Stadenko

9. i dont have any windows in this bathroom though .. so what do you think i should do ? please any ideas i spent a lot on this so far cuz i went for the best shit to do it right so any good ideas please

10. #10 Srgt.Stadenko, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2009
    I do not have a window either! I have a room about 3 foot long 3 foot wide and 8 foot high its enclosed and there is a hole were the AC sits its on the top of the room about 5 or 6 foot up. It works perfect could you cut a hole and mount the AC outside the room? Just get it in there tight and seal with the expandable Duct foam if you want a perfect seal.. Ac's are cheap used. You could get a room AC that they make now, they are exspensive but your Ventilation will still need to be adressed

11. i cant get air conditioners no problem .. maybe not one of those floor ones but i know exactly what your talking about .. as to cuttin hoels anywhere for an ac its not possible.. any other good ideas? cuz that was one but just cant work for me

12. Not really without colder air the Heat buildup would be alot. So unless you can get fresh colder air to keep the temps in range your screwed.You have to have vents or the plants cannot expel things they need too..In short they kind of sweat out bad stuff and that needs to be expelled by venting in short....

Sorry

13. but i have an exhaust van .. that will take some of the heat out of the room no? like if i brought it down closer to the light ? when im not sleep i can leave the door open and have a fan blowing new air in to the room but i gotta have the door closed at night cuz the light is way to bright

14. I did not say it cant be done just make sure the temp are inline.. What kind of exhaust fan a dinkkey little bathroom ceiling exhaust? or something else if you dont have foreign outside air circulating regulary then you will fail period.

15. yea its a stupid little on that cmae with the place.. im willing to go buy a new one and replace it so its stronger etc .. and out side air be holes in the bottom of the bathroom door?

16. honestly i would go buy a portable ac unit for like 100$ and run the exhaust tube to the exhaust fan in the bathroom.. just make sure the ac unit you buy has the fittin for a hose on the back so you can have the water drain right into the bathtub or toilet...... or how about replacing the ehaust fan with like a really big inline duct fan?

17. You need venitlation alot of it to be drawn in from the outside! then you need air from the inside to be drawn outside and then with the 1000w light you need cooled air someplace in the mix to keep temperatures and humidity in line.. Sounds like you cant really give sufficent ventilation so your pot will probally be shitty if it makes it that far

18. yeah this idea is good would be minimal but would work

19. so get one of those floor ac units that has those 2 big dryer vent lookin hoses? with the 1 hose put it up to the exhaust and the other out the door? to pull in the air ..

if not explain to me about the inline duct fan your talking about .. i dont know much about duct work

20. iam takin more on the lines of a portable ac unit thats ment to be moved from room to room they only have 1 exhause fan to blow out the hot air... now if you have like a 450+ CFM inline duct fan shoved up in there it should be able to take out enought heat to keep the bathroom cool...... another idea how about makein that 1000W a sealed unitit so it doesnt make your room as hot.... reply with questions ill com back when i get off workill post som pic up to help you out.