Closet Tent - Exhaust Vent Suggestions

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by ImaRider, Jul 19, 2016.

1. I'm setting up a small closet grow using a 3x3x6 tent. It's a finished closet in a basement bedroom so running duct would be tricky.

There is open cavity space above the ceiling between the ceiling and the floor above. This cavity space eventually leads to an open and unfinished maintenance room next to it. So my thoughts are the heat would just dissipate into this room.

Could I just cut a hole in the closet ceiling and exhaust into this open cavity space? Or should I try and vent it outside the building?

Here is a picture of the closet before it was finished.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. I think you would be fine venting it into the ceiling, but if the air you are pumping into the cavity is quite humid you could run into problems down the road. I live in a low humidity area so I would just run it into the ceiling. The heat will mostly dissipate into the floor above and you will get some bonus infloor heating haha.

3. Good point on the humidity. Never really too humid around here. I run a dehumidifier during the summer months, but mainly to keep the basement dry.

How much humidity do you think a small grow would produce?

4. Well if you already run a dehumidifier I would be concerned, if you can fish a 4 inch duct across that cavity/ceiling I probably would, once you cut the hole it shouldn't be too hard, you start by getting a string or rope across, then tie the duct on and pull it through

5. Should I just run the duct into the open maintenance room then? I should be able to fish one across to the closet ceiling.

6. It would be good yeah, is the floor above laminate or tile? Or carpet? Heat and humidity is not good for most floors I think, if you're running a lot of stuff you might want to fish a wire as well.

7. Floor above is laminate. Maintenance room is concrete.

8. If you don't duct it will probably be bad for the floor above.