Closet into Grow room

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jennybunny, Oct 16, 2011.

1. #1 jennybunny, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
    About to start my indoor soon and have done this with my room! Any thought suggestions welcome! I put/make the door and cut the vent hole tomorrow! My dementions will be 4 feet x 5 and a half. Will be running 600w mh/hps. How many plants would be best yeah think?

Attached Files:

2. #2 hostileguy, Oct 16, 2011
    One vent hole near the bottom and one near the roof. I was thinking 5 plants.

3. i seen i guy do 9 on here with a 600w and almost the same space he just made them taller he was saying. Could this be an option you think?

Also, I know i need to cut a hole for my exaust, do you think i Need just have an open hole vented for air flow? (hence why you said 2 vents)

4. yes it is possible. the exhaust hole would have a fan and the intake would be passive, meaning that it won't have a fan to pull air. But considering your grow size, you might need to have an active intake! Go through this guide if you can(excellent guide),

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/594150-ventilation-faq.html

5. #5 jennybunny, Oct 16, 2011
    ok awesome i will read it now, i have glanced at it but not really read the whole thing b4.

Also. My room where this "room" was build is my exotic pet room. So i was hopeing to keep the warm air that i use from the 600w and heat up the room with it so i dont need space heater. So maybe this is better so i dont need a inline fan for an intake?

6. I don't know if your exotic pet room can heat up only with the 600W, but you could try that. Also your exotic pet could playfully hurt the plant (cats, dogs, hamsters, etc) like chew off a leaf or just scratch the plant or something, so take care.

7. yeah what i have is alot of Tarantulas, Praying mantis' and bearded dragons so it it good.

8. nice, and do you have a door for that grow room?

9. No, he just did not make them taller, they grew taller because the chamber did not have enough light....

4 x 5 = 20 sq ft.
    600(w) ÷ 20(sq ft) = 30 watts per sq ft.

20 watts under the minimum suggested...
    That's why the plants grew tall, 9 plants only being lit with 30w per sq.

10. #10 jennybunny, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
    yep actually seen a similar post and i did 600 divided by 20 to get 30 aswell. What would you suggest 6 would be more better?

and yes i have made a door now and started to put the plastic up inside. Hopeing to have everything all assembled (light, inline fan, plastic) by friday so i get go to the seed bank for saturday.!

11. Personally I would add another 600w lamp...
    That would give you 60w per sq ft...

Ya, 6 would be fine, but if you add the 600w, you could easily do 8 without secondary lighting and add maybe 1/4 lb to your yield..

If you weigh it out...
    Lamps are like $250 and would be maybe another 100 bucks for the added electric cost over the total grow...

So for an extra $350 you would get at least 1/4 lb more...
    1/4 lb for $350 is not to bad...

On your next grow, that 1/4 lb would only cost 100 bucks (elec. cost)...
    So IMO you're better off in the long run just adding another 600w lamp...

:wave:

12. my hydro stores a 600w ballast is 325+taxs and aircooled reflector like the one i bought is 150+ tax and the bulbs are 80 + tax lol

13. i have spent well over 1g building this grow already so i mite have to hold off and buy the other lamp and stuff later :( not a bad idea tho like u said an extra 1/4 p

14. I'd be going to another hydro store!!! lol
    $233.90 with sealed hood and both bulbs..

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-lig...hps-mh-grow-light-system-set-premium-kit.html

I have seen one of them ballasts running for over 4yrs now...
    Keep it in a clean environment and no fan issues...

You could have bought 2 lamps for what you paid for one....

15. wow thats insane... where i live theres only 2 hydro stores and have heard stories of police following ppl home from them. There prices are both the same pretty much and i havt seen any package deals

16. Oh sorry, I'm a legal grower and the "police following me home" is not a concern of mine.. But I have a lot of police in my family, also a lot of friends that are police, and I can say they do not have the time to be staking out a grow shop "hoping" to catch some equipment coming out... With today's cut backs in the departments, they are understaffed as it is now...

Shit I wish they would follow me home, I'd LOVE to show them my grow setup (when I set it up anyway)... ;) :D

There is a LOT of good companies online that do not give a shit who you are, what you bought, and what you use it for, as long as you're a paying customer..

So online ordering equipment is IMO the safest way to go...
    Most companies ship in discreet packaging..

Good luck... :wave:

Oh and PS...
    Here is the same ballast around 4 1/2 - 5yrs old now, so IMO after a couple years, you got your money back out of the ballast...
    [​IMG]

17. yeah sucks but what is done is done, i pretty much have the top of the line stuff brand new all separately all with warentees that dont involve shipping so im happy either way :) Mine is alot smaller and pretty much has no sound to it aswell with a couple nice settings.

Im hopeing to be legal soon aswell hence why i have started such a nice proper grow aswell. GROWERS UNITE! lol :p

18. You may want to check that warranty, most store front hydro shops are 90 days, thereafter you deal with the manufacture....

You can always veg with the 600w and add another for flowering..
    That would give you 6 weeks to work out another $250 into your budget..

Which would give you 60w per sq and 9,000 lumen...
    Nice fat ass buds... lol

You're using a 400cfm on the lamp anyway right???
    A 400cfm should be able to handle two 600s fine...

19. yep 420 i think to be exact :p

20. Ya, that would be fine for two 600 watters....

The more light you can supply them, not only tighter buds, but more resinous as well..

50w or 5,000 lumen per sq is minimum suggested..
    Again, you're only pushing 30 watts per sq ft. with just the one 600...
    I always shoot for at least 60w or at least 8-9,000 lumen per..

Like a 2x5 is 10 sq., so a 600w would be 60w or 9,000 lumen per sq.
    You have a 4x5, 20 sq ft....