Closet Growing!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by greengoblin95, Jan 22, 2013.

1. I have never grown a marijuana plant before and where i live the only place i can do it is in my closet. I am reading up on different sites but thought i should come to people who have done it before and can tell me any tips and tricks to make it easier. So if any one has anything they can tell me about a closet grow (good seed banks, best cheap materials, do's and don'ts, etc..) it would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. I germinated some bag seedlings which unexpectedly sprout and am prepp'ing/researching a little myself. Near the top of this page is a Search function. Try "closet" or "closet grow". The micro grow section has some neat information, too. Albeit a lot of stealth grows (like, in computer cases) and ScrOG's.

But the only investment I've made so far is a 30w CFL to park my seedlings right beneath, a book by Jorge Cervantes entitled Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible (or as some call it; simply "The Bible"), and sent up a prayer that the seeds will be fine for at least three weeks while I get everything set up.

3. Do you have a setup in mind? cfl,mh/hps,T5?
    Measurements on grow space?

I currently have a small closet grow in progress check my signiture

4. Goblin; definitely check out Nut's journal. His was one of the first I came across and he can lend a lot of experience (long read, though).

5. I wouldn't say "alot" because im a newbie myself. I still have alot to learn myself,but if i can help i try to. Just to give back a lil ya know

:smoking:

6. I dont have a grow space yet, I am waiting till i get my own place and dont have it yet but will soon and wen i do i will have a space. But i know the space won't be too big but i was looking for the most energy efficent and least heat radiating system.

7. Ok well how many plants you plan on haveing and what advice do you need? :smoking:

8. I plan to grow 5 plants in case any of them dont make it or something happens to one. How big is your space and how much did you spend on all the material?

9. #9 Bad Bad Bright, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
    I'm going to do something dangerous here and presume. Since you said you had never grown a marijuana plant in its singular tense you're probably experimenting with just the one plant, then. Park your plant directly below a CFL bulb with a wattage of 30 or so, and never farther than 6 inches from it. These radiate so little heat it is practically unnoticeable.

If you experiment with more than one plant? Get more than one bulb to park them under otherwise they'll stretch and bend.

And when they are much larger/mature you can invest in a more energy efficient bulb like an HID which uses 200+ watts (preferably 400). When you graduate, do so gradually. Use the CFL bulbs for a few days in conjunction so that they're not completely shocked or surprised.

(edited to say; Yeah. Ok get a compact flourescent for every plant, then. When they get to be 2 or more feet high graduate to a more efficient bulb and start thinking about heat radiation)

10. my space is about 6ft long 8ft high 3ft wide

My 400w mh/hps combo ./120.00
    My 2 6 inch inline fans were ./45 for both
    I used Miracle Grow MC this grow./ 10 bucks a bag
    For pots i used totes and put a divider in them/ free i used the lids for the tote to divide

Ebay is a great source for everything you need or amazon

11. Ok can I use CFL's the whole grow and not have to worry about switching out lights?

12. You can. So long as they're putting out enough lumens. CFL's are only less efficient in terms of wattage (and cost you 10 to 20 cents more in electricity per week). You're going to be using a ridiculous amount of bulbs, though, if you only ever use 30w's.

Like Nut said - get a high intensity bulb soon. They perform better, and cost less in the long run.

13. Here's what Marsdude had to say about Floro's (florescent); "They're fine, just less efficient". ~hyperlink

And he posts a chart which illustrates why.

Some people may also argue that florescents will yield less bud (in terms of density mostly). And they may be right, but during your first grow try to refrain from over analyzing a thing. Besides, I suspect harvesting anything at all on your first attempt is going to be a thrill in and of itself for you no matter the quality (so long as it's not just plain scat weed).

14. Thanks for all the help. Is there anything else that I need to know to make this simpler? Also what is the best site to get seeds from and what seeds would anyone suggest?

15. Definitely lend a lot more thought to the medium or soil you're going to bed your seed down in for the next few months. It's probably one of the most important factors in your show, and it's a binding commitment. You can't decide you don't like it a few weeks in and go changing it. And the wrong sort can doom them early on, so that they appear to thrive and do well for 28 weeks, then die a slow horrible death directly after.

So do a general search on that. Decide if you're going to go organic or hydroponic, and get ready! It's better to have something you don't need yet than to need it and not have it.

But for seeds and their companies I'll be no help at all. And since you do not have any experience in the cultivation of them I suggest you use seeds you find in your bud, or at the bottom of a bag. They can be quite costly from a reputable seed bank, and a lot of things can go wrong on your first try.

If looking for a seed company, though, look for those which guarantee their product and/or shipment, and those which you can contact by email or phone. Get these before you make the move, and never have them delivered to your grow site (I've never heard of authorities showing up at somebody's door, though). You're in the market, probably, for one of the many Indica strains since they're pretty well suited for indoors, and flower a lot sooner than the sativa, and you want to shy away from those that autoflower I think. Find one which suits you that you can get to respond in kind.