Closet Growing Adventures (take a peek!)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by absense, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Hello all. Been lurking for a while, ready to show a bit of my first grow. Feedback welcome/desired/hoped for :D. Thanks to all for the wealth of information contained in these forums - you guys rock.

So, here's the skinny:
    Organic soil grow, using bagseed, 3 plants, 300W in CFL (yes, actual wattage, none of that equivalent nonsense), sealed enclosure with exhaust fan built into ceiling and plenty of air movement. Watering every two days or so using ph balanced water with ~1/4 strength nutes.

Germinated each from seed. Sprouted 30 days ago. Hoping to get some opinions! Now, the photos...

Attached Files:

• 09.jpg
      09.jpg
      File size:
      168.3 KB
      Views:
    • 08.jpg
      08.jpg
      File size:
      185.5 KB
      Views:
    • 07.jpg
      07.jpg
      File size:
      192.9 KB
      Views:
    • 06.jpg
      06.jpg
      File size:
      253.3 KB
      Views:
    • 05.jpg
      05.jpg
      File size:
      200.3 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      165.7 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      193.2 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      172.2 KB
      Views:
    • 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      126.6 KB
      Views:
  2. dude it's so cool to see folks reasearch and do it right. Thos look really nice for 30 days man.. best of luck!

Are these bagseeds?
    When do you plan on flowering? Are you gonna roll with the 300w cfl's or go HID?

3. @ AugustWest: Thanks man! I'm very interested in learning about the growing process, these forums have helped me a great deal!

Yes, they are bagseeds. Wanted to get my feet wet before investing in genetics. The lot of 'em could be male, but if so, I'll be ready for round two.

I'd like to go HID, but all the talk about CFL's has me curious. I suppose there are a few other members out there who have something to say about that..?

4. I used about 150w of CFL to veg and then switched to a 150w HPS. I am only growing one plant and it seems to be doing pretty good. It really seems to enjoy the HPS as it has almost doubled in size since I switched to HPS and 12/12 about 17 days ago.

Lookin good man I'll check it out!

Peace:D

p.s.

can we see a pic of the whole plant/pot?

5. freezmcgee: Thanks for sharing your experience with HPS. Noted! I'll post a few more images soon, including a full view of the plant/pot/closet.

These photos give a bit wider view of the plants, which are between 5 and 7 inches in height:

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      478.3 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      502 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      280.7 KB
      Views:
  6. A few more photos of the setup and plants. As you can see, they have plenty of room to grow. 33 days since they sprouted. Am I correct in approximating they have been in veg for about 21 days?

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

• 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
    • 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      65.6 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      77.7 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      71.7 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      69.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Cool looki setup. Ill probably end up using those same 5 gallon buckets. Ive been looking for some decent large pots but cant find anything good locally.

Keep it up.

Looks good.

8. The buckets are a cheap solution, for sure. Add a few holes and you've got yourself a 5gal bucket of soil. Thanks for the comment Haze!

Should I cover the buckets and single pot in mylar? I realize they are the only objects in the box that aren't reflecting light, however I am uncertain if that will make any difference at all...

9. ey how many bulbs is that ?? and what watt per bulb do u have ?? very nice setup i am still just debating if i want CFL or HPS grow.

10. looks good, do you have drainage holes in the 5 gallon buckets?

11. There are 10 bulbs in the closet with a combined strength of 300W. Again, this is the actual wattage, not the equivalent wattage deceptively printed in large letters on the bulb packaging ;).

@ DaPharaoh: Yes, holes were drilled in the bottom to allow excess water to leave the buckets.

12. lookin good so far, good luck

13. And we have a girl! :hello: One of the three proved herself this week and showed her sex organs! Very exciting indeed! The other two are still holding out, hopefully they show one way or the other by the end of the week. Also, added a can-filter / inline exhaust setup to the grow closet this week, as well as a CO2 bucket. The plants are beginning to smell and the cheap ceiling exhaust fan just wasn't working as well as hoped. The can-filter is very quiet and much more effective. Plants are growing very rapidly! The CO2 release system was purchased from a local grow shop (Supernatural Excellofizz CO2 pucks). Emission pucks are dropped into a bucket of water and the co2 is released. Resembles a large alka-seltzer tablet. Claims to be able to increase CO2 levels to something like 1500-2000 ppm in a space the size of my closet. Some images, ya'll: (Comments welcome!)

Attached Files:

• 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      320.1 KB
      Views:
    • 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      278.1 KB
      Views:
    • 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      322.8 KB
      Views:
    • 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      297.9 KB
      Views:
    • 25.jpg
      25.jpg
      File size:
      327.9 KB
      Views:
    • 27.jpg
      27.jpg
      File size:
      241.8 KB
      Views:
  14. 32 days into veg. Updated photos :). As you can see, we have one girl, two unknown. Can-filter works like a charm :).

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

• 34.jpg
      34.jpg
      File size:
      55 KB
      Views:
    • 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      64.8 KB
      Views:
    • 33.jpg
      33.jpg
      File size:
      190.9 KB
      Views:
    • 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size:
      152 KB
      Views:
    • 30.jpg
      30.jpg
      File size:
      141.5 KB
      Views:
    • 29.jpg
      29.jpg
      File size:
      96.8 KB
      Views:
    • 28.jpg
      28.jpg
      File size:
      89.2 KB
      Views:
  15. nice job brother, congrats on the female, your plants look very happy....

Hats off....;)

16. your doin great.. I'm on my first grow too and i'm using cfl all the way through (day 35 of flowering) Cfl can do great but u just have to worry if the plant gets too big. I'm learning this now.. the light just isn't enough to reach the bottom buds. I'm on my second plant now and i used lst and it helped a huge amount at gettin the whole plant the right amount of light... Good luck man. Have fun:yay:

17. Thanks for the tip on CFL's! As the plants increase in size, I will add additional bulbs around the lower portion of the plants to provide the lower buds with adequate light. Stay tuned for that.

Also, thanks for the LST comment. I've been reading as much as I can about stress training and have seen it executedly successfully by many GC growers. This week might be the week to start wrangling some of the more mature branches. Thanks again ya'll!

18. 37 days into veg. Extensive growth over the last week, except for the confirmed female, who hasn't grown more than an inch. Wondering if she needs more water? Any thoughts on her lack of development? A few more hairs have sprouted, but that's about it.

Still can't determine sex on the two large plants. They've nearly tripled in size in the last week. I have suspicions that the largest and healthiest might be a male. The first image below is of the suspect organs. Please give an opinion if you have one. Gonna give it a few more days before I decide if execution is necessary. Would be a damn shame, as the plant has over 10 cola developing. Oh, just started some LST to guide the growth of each cola.

:smoke:

Attached Files:

19. Ten more photos...

Attached Files:

20. That's all for now.

Attached Files: