Closet grow setup questions

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by NutzZ09, Aug 25, 2013.

1. I am about to do my first grow setup and I needed some clarification on some things because I have never done this before. Basically I had a few things I was wondering so I will just liste them below and hopefully someone can help me out!

1. Since I am growing in a open closet without a door (  picture below ) how sealed does it have to be? Can I just run like a curtain infront of it or what? I know the air has to circulate and stuff so I just wasnt really sure about it. Or if I would have issues with bugs since its in my basement etc.

2. I just ordered 4 Female Auto bubble seeds from herbies (also came with free cotton candy female and 2 regular  White Widow x Skunk 1 seeds) and I was going to try the Hempy bucket method. My question is since the closet is approx. 2 feet deep/5 feet wide/6 feet high. Will I have enough space for 4 plants? Should I do them all in individual buckets or can I do a couple in each? They are only supposed to grow 40-60cm in height so no more than like 2 feet so I know height wont be an issue.

3. What kind of lighting should I use for autoflowering. I was reading and it seemed a lot of people suggest the T5 blue spectrum for veg and HPS for budding or whatever. How many 4ft tubes do I need for 4 plants and what kind of Wattage and lumens and all that good stuff? And for the HPS what kind of wattage etc also. Would it also be worth it to mount a light on each side wall for veg? Also whats the rule for light height etc during the stages of growth. Dont want to have the lights to close and burn the plant.

4. Since everyone in the house is aware of the project and taking part, how big of an issue will odor be and will I still need like ventilation and stuff for air flow since its not completely closed in? Its in my basement and I dont really care if the basement or that room smells.

I am pretty much open to any suggestion like I said I have never done this yet so I have just been doing a lot of reading etc. Thanks for any help I get in advance!

IMG_20130825_010447.jpg

2. Posted at a weird time, anyone got some info on this for me?

3. #3 kenabyss, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    I use a thick curtain over , to ensure darkness in the lights off period, this is more important than keeping light in , in my book.
    For cheapness i use CFL bulbs 2 x 35 watt 6500k and 2 x 23 watt 2700k per plant, for the vegging period and intend to add more 2700 k for the flowering stage.With CFL's you can have them as close as 4 inches to the plant in fact closer the better . I sit the pots on a pile of dvd cases and remove the dvds one by one as the plant grows closer to the lights , my 2700k bulbs are on the sides of the plants and 6500k's are above
    HPS etc are very expensive to run and are extremely hot, being in an enclosed environment you will need a hell of a lot of fans etc to keep within the desired temp (75-85)
    due to very recent experience , i know that you will need to concentrate very muchat keeping your temps down to 75 ish as my water overheated overnight and killed one of my babies, it has now put me off using the bubble system.

4. #4 kayakush, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
    i dont thing that you have enough space.  you did not go into budget, soil, nutes and what specific lights you plan on using.  the odor should not be a problem.  the dark cycle is very important so you got to work on that too.

5. Yea but autoflowers can be ran on 24/0 light if you want I thought? or like 20/4, they dont HAVE to have darkness since they are autoflowering. Plus its in a basement with no windows so when its dark its DARK. Budget isnt really an issue. I know I didnt go into the lights cuz I asked what lights I should use..most guides I saw said use flourescent T5 blue spectrum for the vegging and then switch to HID for flowering. Like I said I am new to this so I am just going off of most guides I have read etc.