Closet grow lighting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Waannggg, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Iv been Looking into doing a 1 plant closet grow with 2 150 watt HPS lighting. Would this be enough? I was also wondering would an exhaust fan and filter be needed for this small grow? I am working with approx. L 4' x W 2' x H 5'.

2. Are you absolutely set on using HPS? I would possibly consider using an LED so that you don't have any heat issues but yeah 2 150 watt lights will be enough for 1 plant.

3. I would rather use HPS. I was worried about whether this would create too many heat issues in such a small area? Should I look into LEDs instead?

4. I've never seen an HPS unit that small in person so i don't know how much heat they give out but i know that even with a few CFL's you start getting heat problems. I run (2) 240 watt LEDs, (1) 180 watt LED in the same tent and about 10 mins after i switch on my (6) CFL's i start getting a heat spike. If you already have the lights i would turn them on with a thermometer in there and see what happens. I started my grow in an Armoire that i turned to a grow box so i didn't want to have ANY heat problems. It all depends on your grow space, $ you want to invest, time, etc.

5. I run a 400w hps in a 4 x 2 x 8 and while heat was an issue at first good ventilation has it well under control. You will be fine as long as you have a way to get cool air pulled in, and the hot air vented out to a separate area.

6. I have a 150watt HPS in my 2' by 2' closet and it works great. I ordered a second one and because of some lame reasons, its now a week late... but one is sufficient but two will be good. I have one and I have 3 plants under it. All doing great. Two will be better. Keep them 4 to 5 inches from the top colas with fans blowing and you'll be fine

7. Your biggest challenge will be heat build up. Closets and sheds tend to be the worst for grows do to that. Closets have no ac vent in the ceiling and tend to trap heat. As long as you can exchange the air...just blowing air in a closed closet is not enough you need to remove the hot air from inside the closet and suck in cooler air youll be fine.

Your best bet if thats the only place you can grow is to set you equipment up and dick with it till you get the temps you want...under 85ish. You will know real fast how hot it gets since HPS generates alot of heat. My 400w HPS I had earlier this year be over 100 degrees in my grow tent with no vent system on like in probably under 10 min.

8. #8 Rumpleforeskin, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2011
    Yeah stick with that 250 watt HPS and don't wast your money on LED lighting (not a good choice for growing weed). No matter what lamp you use, you will need to ventilate that space. So spend some money on good ventilation and steer away from gimmicks.

250 will be fine for a single plant. Cooling a 250 watt lamp will not be hard at all. Not sure why folks can't think around such a small issue. Your only issue will be what to do with all that high quality weed you are going to grow.

I grow a single plant under a 400 watt lamp in a small broom closet in my garage. With no AC and a low budget it is very simple to cool and maintain.

Most average folks are able to design a grow space that can provide enough ventilation to cool a "proper grow light".

9. Yeah get yourself that HPS you can find a way to get the heat out and you'll grow some dank nugs! L.E.Ds are really good for vegging but youre going to need that hps for your buds.

10. Alright. I'll stick with the HPS. Ventilation shouldn't be too difficult since it's right next to a window. And it'll be sucking air from the room which is generally pretty cool. I was reading a lot and thinking about building a grow tent also. As soon as I get a little money I'll get to building. Thanks for the advice.

11. i grow 1 plant in a 2.5' x 1.5' x 4' cabinet with a 250 watt hps with decent results.

12. Thanks greennewb. I'll definitely be following your journal