Closet grow lighting?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Mashiro, Feb 15, 2012.

1. I'm thinking about starting a 3 plant closet grow, but I am unsure what sort of lighting would be appropriate for them. Should they have a high wattage CFL or a low wattage HPS? I'm on a budget of about 150-200ish dollars for the lighting. Can anybody give me some pointers?

2. It all depends on the size of your grow space and how well you can't ventilate. If your space is too small or not ventilated enough then an hps will burn the shit outta your plants. With $200 you could get a really nice cfl setup going, or you could look into LEDs depending on how big an are you need to cover.

3. Well, it's about a 4x4 closet with little ventilation. I'd open the door several times a day to exchange air. Would that be enough? Since I have so little ventilation, I'd be leaning towards a CFL setup. Where can I buy the CFLs I need? Watts? Spectrum?

Thanks.

4. All the answers are in the forums ;)
    I would go cfl in that space,your going to need proper ventilation no matter where or how big the grow space is. Opening a door now and then wont cut the mustard( havent said that in years lol) Sorry :p

I run red spectrum 2700k 125w cfl for my entire grow in a pc case with 3 fans and space for another 3 if needed.

Best advice is to read ALOT and make your own mind up.
    At the end of the day its your grow and your time :smoke:

5. Thanks. :)

I'm thinking of going for 6 to 8 26 watt daylight and softwhite CFLs. Any ideas on how I might be able to ventilate a walk-in 4x4 closet? Is the only way to cut holes in the door?

6. The easies and cleanest way to vent is usually through the ceiling, if you're renting or live in an apartment buy a new door for your closet. Then punch a 6" hole in the top of the door and about a 3" hole in the bottom, this should allow for passive intake and keep your cfls more than vented, if you upgrade to a hid system later you may want to run another intake specifically for the light with an air cooled hood. Just experiment don't let your temps get above 85 and you'll be alright