Closet Grow Help Needed

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Snapman, Jun 3, 2012.

1. #1 Snapman, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
    I've pretty much emptied out my closet which measures an estimated grow space of 2 feet deep/4 feet across, and about 8 feet tall. Up to this point i've been keeping things going with cfls, but i recently upgraded to a 600w mh/hps system(which i keep at 50% for heat reasons). Now, this is where i need help, proper ventilation. I took a few pictures to show what i'm dealing with.

http://ethug.org/rightdoor.JPG
    http://ethug.org/leftdoor.JPG

Couldn't find any small oscillating fans around the house so i rigged up 2 larger box fans, one on-top of the closet pushing air down, and another on the left side door entrance bringing new air in. As for the a window, its on the opposite side of the room, which opens up to the front of the house, so i need to keep the right side closet door closed at all times as anybody with any IQ whatsoever could figure out what i'm doing in here from the street. So limited to 1 door open, where should i plant the fans in the closet for maximum efficiency, and also, if i were to get ahold of 2 duct fans, would this be the most effective design?

http://ethug.org/closet.jpg (ive added another possible layout that might work, or should i move the output to an area underneath the temp shelf)

BTW, California summers in closets suck :I I wouldnt dare having this run during daylight hours without an a/c as it would be plant suicide. Its currently midnight, and still 80f outside.

2. By keeping your light at 50% settings your grow space is only 2-3c cooler than if you would run the lught at the full blast . If you do not believe me ,measure the temperature wile light at 50% for couple of hours and the run it the full blast so you will se that temperature difference not even that significant but running your light at 50% setting will definatly lower your final results ...

3. #3 Snapman, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
    Ok, its worth trying out, but that still doesnt help with my vent problems. Every little degree counts in this situation as the temps like to peak 90-95f.

4. look into a HPS Light and Ballast that can be connected by ducting. This drastically keeps temps down. Or some even come with a glass panel that keeps the temp down even more and you can bring your light down closer to your plant without burning it or give it heat stress.

5. I can't access your plans, but you just can't cool a very small space like that with a 600 in it, in CA, unless you have massive amounts of ventilation flowing into and out of the room. At least a 6" inline fan, maybe more.

6. #6 Snapman, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
    Alright, forget the pictures, by running through other forum posts, i picked up a few tips that have allowed me to bring the temps down a little bit.

Heres what i have planned: adding 1 or 2 more fans inside the closet (creating like a vortex of air within the grow space), and purchasing 2 duct fans (one intake and one output, most likely 6in), i measured the total grow space after emptying the closet which came out to ~90-100 cubic feet. Also plan on leaving the left closet door open and building a fake wall in its place, mounting the duct fans on it.

Quick question, to keep the noise down, which would work best: polycarbonate or steel bladed fans. Also, would the intake be best on the bottom with output on top?

7. A vortex isn't going to exhaust the hot air and bring cooler fresh air in. I doubt the two duct fans will do the trick, you need inline fans. Intake on the bottom, exhaust on the top.

8. #8 Snapman, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
    I dont expect the vortex to exhaust anything on its own, thats what the inline fans were for, they were just ment to keep all the air in the closed off room constantly mixing, so i dont end up with some giant hotspot underneath the lamp.

Any suggestions on a inline fan to get? Not looking for the top of the line, just something to keep my grow going.

9. Ive been looking into portable a/c units like an evaporative air cooler. Would it be a good idea, or the worse one possible?