Closet grow and carbon scrubber setup?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by rashod0, Jun 18, 2009.

1. #1 rashod0, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2009
    I'm growing out of my closet which is good size. I don't plan on setting up any sort of ventilation because of my small grow and the amount of air I can get in the room. I would like to know what is the best method for setting up a carbon filter for just recycling the air? I plan on buying a 4" inline fan to connect the filter to. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Do you have a box that you're growing in set inside that closet? Or are you just like... putting your plants in the closet and hanging a light over them?

If you have a box, just cut a 4" hole in it and mount that fan. Stick the carbon scrubber on the inside (or the outside, doesn't matter.)

Without a box... I'm not sure? My best guess would be to hook the filter up directly to the fan and just... hang it somewhere? That seems rather pointless though.

3. I am not growing out of a box, just the closet. Someone had told me I could just recycle the air this way and was wondering if anyone else has something like this already setup?

4. Plants need CO2, they use it to build themselves, literally. They pull it out of the air and break the molecule apart. They use the carbon to build themselves and poop out the oxygen. If your closet does not get enough ventilation the plants will suffer for a lack of CO2 (among other things).

5. Recycling the air and circulatnig it are two different things.

Your ventilation system can be as ghetto as opening the closet once an hour for 5-10 mins with a fan blowing in.

Personally I'd either build a box (cardboard will work if you're that broke)

Or hook that exhaust fan and get a scrubber and vent that shit into the room the closet is in, rather than the closet itself.

6. The closet the room is in is vacant so opening a window is no issue at all, which is why I'm not concerned very much with drilling holes and such. I thought about mounting it somehow in the closet (I do have a fan bringing fresh air in).

7. ill post a picture of mine later i just made it yesterday it works great!

8. I'm not sure I understand. Your closet has a window in it? I'd really suggest a box then, otherwise uhm.... light leaks? SECURITY REASONS, perhaps?

Or block the window off with plywood. Cut an exhaust hole, run your ducting and set up your filter and fan. Then cut another intake in the window, run some more ducting for your passive intake.

9. No, no, the closet doesn't have a window in it. I was just saying that it's in an empty room which gives me all kinds of control over the fresh air issue....so it's not a problem at all. Again, small grow so it shouldn't be a problem.

10. #10 HighOnTheHill, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2009
    In that case, this is what I'd do:

Remove the door from the hinges.

Install a piece of plywood in place of the door (cheaper than replacing the door down the road)

Mount your intake and exhaust to the door (Exhaust near the top, intake near the bottom)

Mount your scrubber/fan to your exhaust. (Either directly to the door or using ducting)

Lightproof your passive intake (Ducting, light trap, whatever you wanna do)

Thatd be pretty ideal right there.

Edit: All in all, the modifications are cheap. You can get a 8'x4' sheet of plywood for 5 bucks (if you get a cheap one). A roll or two of weatherstripping (for light-proofing the door). And some ducting, clamps(or tape)... I'd say you could do this whole thing for under 30 bucks. 50-60 bucks if you buy a nice piece of sanded and treated plywood.

11. A pic would be a huge help :)

12. Im probally going to be doing the same thing you are since I just have a few in my closet too. I know its not enough to cover up the awesome stank of em flowering but these ona blocks they sell at hydro stores work pretty good for odor issues.

13. I'm actually very interested in those Ona gels/blocks. If you get one do let me know how that works out for you.

I start flowering... tomorrow. I have no carbon filter. Shit, I just spray a lot of Febreeze around my place haha. My last grow didn't stink bad enough for me to worry about it. The smell was pretty much restricte to the room my cab was in. My plants already smell more this time around, and they're still in Veg.

14. Well its taking care of the jungle smell right now lol, mine are vegging right now. Ill probally need at least 3 more of the blocks for flowering but Im thinking Ill just build my own carbon scrubber.