Closed Loop Extraction

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by bombCHONKSKI, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Right on goalie if you know a decent amount about the DIY I'd buy one if not I'd let terpp extractors out it together for you and pressure check it. I'm curious as to why reasons you prefer winterized over dewaxed being your losing more of your medicinal factor

• Like Like x 1
  2. #262 goaliee, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
    I would rather assemble it myself so that I could learn the inner workings of the machine. I'm sure I'll be able to check it for pressure and testing no problem by myself. As for winterizing I disagree with you, I think winterizing brings more of a medicinal factor to the table because it's a cleaner product with fats and waxed removed. Patients I know don't want to smoke those fats and waxes they just want the medicinal benefits of the pure THC. Personally as a medicinal user myself I want my medicine to be as clean as possible. When I smoked wax and fat oil for a while I could definitely feel a difference in my lungs. I'm glad to be back on my winterized goodness now

• Like Like x 1
  3. Looking at an open source steel or ironfist ex4 setup, any thoughts from the pros?

4. please help with pics im dying to learn but it seems impossible to do research on certain important things like how to run a cls properly on google. I've been reading this and you guys all know what you're talking about.im and old man seeking knowledge please help i bought a pretty cool set up from bestvaluevacs and need better knowledge on how to run.thank u for reading and future help.

5. Hey guys, was curious about a few things with the closed loop system.

1. Can you put "too much" butane into a passive cls? What are the ramifications of this?

2. Do you add the iso alcohol into the splatter platter before you begin the run?

3. Best value vacs sells a passive-> active ads on pack for 1900$... Couldn't you simply add a few hoses to add in a refrigeration reclaim pump? This is simply to reclaim the butane faster, eventually I would add on all the other fun stuff to do the continuous wash thing.

4. Referring to the re running of the same butane multiple times through the same material, wouldn't this darken your final product?

5. Propane > butane? Anything I should know about running propane or is it interchangeable with butane with different end results?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Propane has that rotten egg smell put in and butane doesn't because propane is used for a cooking/home fuel and butane isn't. It's mostly because butane is unusable below 32 degrees or so it isn't practical for home use. It can't maintain pressure in lines in the cold. So propane is used for home heating fuel even though propane is around half the btus/cubic ft of gas. Smell is added so leaks are quickly discovered. Not sure if I've ever heard of propane without the smell.

Unless you want your BHO to taste like rotten eggs I wouldn't use propane.

7. Lab grade propane should be free of any odor additives, depending on the concentration you buy, I'd imagine

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeah I was referring to chemical grade propane, you can get it a few different places or purify it yourself

9. You know propane is essentially a refrigerant. It isn't used as such because it's explosive. It's very closely chemically related to almost all other cfc and hfc refrigerants. I'm betting butane is just a convenient chemical to use because it's cheap and highly available. Some of the older or newer refrigerants might be excellent at making extractions.

Many people don't know that refrigerants are used in dry cleaning. It's just like making BHO except you run liquid refrigerant through the clothes that evaporates at room temperature. It dissolves all the dirt and grease in the clothes, carries it away and evaporates. This is a very similar process to extractions. You may be able to get high purity grade chemicals for cheaper if they were for dry cleaning.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Refrigerants are all oil soluble so they can carry lubricating oil around the system for the compressor.

10. Thanks for the replies guys! I have a few more questions... I've been running my closed loop now for about a month,

I read some stuff about pulling vac even on tubes. Is this necessary? How would you even do that?

Also, with the butane tank, I got it from another grower, and it had about 15#s off butane in it. Almost every day I run the closed loop, sometimes 2 or 3 times. Are there any other safety precautions I should be taking? Particularly with the butane tank/ recovery tank? Shit makes me a lil nervous since I'm self taught haha

I read about burping air and water from the recovery tank or something like that. Any insight?

11. There should never be air in your system when you start. If so it's time to stop and relearn your process. When air is added to the mixture there creates a higher chance for explosions. Make sure your tank is always cold to the touch when your working you can even add a T and put a pressure gauge on the tank directly but only on the return port

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rock on. I figure I'll just get a new, empty tank and start off fresh.... *Sigh* lol thanks for the reply

13. You can drain air out of your tank if you put it in a freezer get it to about 30 or below and flip it then crack the fluid valve

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  15. np if you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. I'd be more then happy to help you can always inbox me. It might take me a bit too reply i don't check this daily due to work.

• Like Like x 1
  16. #276 Xxfailure1475, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Hey everyone, I'm starting up a cls and I need a some ideas or a referral for a good quality vessel. I want to try supercritical Florasol extraction. I work with Florasol along with a few other hydro-florocarbons for my day job. So I have access to high grade kegs of Florasol, and I like the idea of less pressure compared to co2. I just need a vessel and a few other things but mostly the vessel. Would like it to hold a minimum of a oz, the more the marrier. I have my vacuum pumps, offrice tubes, gouges, seals etc.. Also has anyone had any success with this type of extraction? Thanks everyone! One last thing I've not exactly new to extractions I've done open runs with bho and I worked on the side with a buddy of mine with a bho cls set up, now I'm wanting to start small and smart using a new method to me any input would be awesome. Thanks

17. #277 CannaWorms, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Answered my own question but still want to thank you for sharing your knowledge in this thread.

18. #279 miahwatkins, Dec 9, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    So got a shiny new extractor set from Maisie’s and have grabbed 4 beautiful frames from my only hive that seems interested in capping off honey. Plus one bee who managed to sneak into the plastic box with the frames despite my best efforts Extraction Equipment.

So to clean the extraction equipment before use is washing up liquid sufficient or so I need to get the old soda crystals out?

Same question for afterwards, lots of hot water and washing up liquid?

Process wise it’s extract in the spinner, filter into a settling tank, then jar up After a few days?

Thanks, really excited to try some honey from my own girls.

19. #280 miahwatkins, Dec 12, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    I am trying to pull some equipment files out and convert them to .obj and .stl for 3D printing.

I have had limited success with troll and gnoll models and wanted to try something a bit easier.

I am looking for model - IT10003. I believe it is a Luclin Mallet, but not 100% sure Extraction Equipment.

I found an old set of files that appear to have been from a team trying to convert EQ stuff into Unity. Seems like that project has halted...

If anyone can point me to where I can find this file - I would greatly appreciate it.