Close on current switch? How to setup electric duct damper and duct booster fan

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by suttre, Mar 25, 2015.

1. The problem I'm trying to solve. . . 

I am putting in a dual hose portable air conditioner for a CGE setup.  The A/C unit will draw ambient air and exhaust heat/humidity.  The grow is located on the second floor, so A/C unit manufacturer recommends a booster fan for extended exhaust runs.  I would like to combine this exhaust from enclosed lights in a distribution box that then exhausts to multiple locations.  

So. . . a nominal diagram

Intake -> A/C unit -> exhaust -> booster fan (<100cfm) runs with damper open -> distro box

Intake -> lights -> 6" 400+ cfm fan -> distro box

if I don't have a damper, the A/C exhaust will potentially become backpressured with the larger 400 cfm fan.  

I want a switch that detects when current is passing to the A/C unit which triggers the opening of the electric duct damper and runs the booster fan.  What the hell is this kind of switch called?!

Sut

2. My friend the a/c your looking for is called "central air"... Lol sorry I don't have a better Answer but you need to be talking to an electrician about your "glass blowing studio in the basement" see if he can help you cool your "work space" lol
    My friend the a/c your looking for is called "central air"... Lol sorry I don't have a better Answer but you need to be talking to an electrician about your "glass blowing studio in the basement" see if he can help you cool your "work space" lol
    Damn double posts

3. You need a relay, not a switch for the setup you're talking about. And a power open, spring close damper. Aube makes a 24v powered relay you could use with a simple thermostat to control the ac (it'd need to be non digital so could be switched on and off), booster if it only runs with the ac, and the damper.