Close call last night

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Bandelero, May 25, 2009.

1. So I had just finished taking a nice blunt ride down our local road that runs parallel to the beach, and pulled into a parking lot and parked, only to see a cop pull into the other entrance of the parking lot. My friend starts freaking about how much bud he had on him (enough to be considered intention to sell), and he successfully tripped me out. We should have just gotten out, locked the doors, and walked up to the store, but I lost my cool for a second with my friend freaking out, and when I saw the cop turn towards our direction, I began to pull out of the parking lot.

The second I start backing out, the cop cuts through the parking spaces towards me, and I could tell he was coming for us. I tried to pull out of the parking lot quickly and into the neighborhood right next to it so that I could pull off into a side street out of view, but he had obviously seen the maneuver before, and before I even got to a side street in the neighborhood, he was already on my ass. I tried to ride around the neighborhood acting like I was going to my house, but he followed me the whole way, until he eventually pulled me over because I obviously had no destination.

So he walks up to my car, gets my license, and such, and asks us where we were going and if we have anything illegal in the car. I told him that we were going to a friends house but we were lost and told him there wasn't anything illegal in the car. He went to his car and made a couple of calls, then called me over to his car. He again asked me if I had anything illegal in the car, and I told him no again, I thought he was about to tell me that he had drug dogs on the phone or something, but he ended up writing me a warning for not fully stopping at the stop signs in the neighborhood, even though he was clearly coming for me before I had done any of that. I was just happy to be out of there with no further interrogation about what was in my car, counted myself lucky to have gotten out of it without even a fine, and just got out of there.

2. Denying that you had anything in the car was the right thing to do. No matter how many stories I've read on these forums about friendly police choosing not to charge people who confess that they have marijuana or paraphernalia in their vehicles, everyone needs to understand that the rules of engagement change dramatically once there's probable cause to believe that you're committing a crime.

It's a lot more difficult to justify lying to police when you've been smoking blunts in your car all day, but everyone should be trying to avoid those kinds of sessions anyway.

Happy to hear that your situation turned out so well. Next time, I'd suggest that you act normal, though. I know it's difficult in those circumstances, but it's definitely the way to go.

3. dude that really seems like that cop was on a power trip trying to bust someone just cause he had the authority