Cloning

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Finz1975, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Hi all, I'm a fairly new grower and have a question about cloning.
    So my question is when cloning from a clone and then from that clone you go up in generations is there a certain number you should stop at and if so why?

2. Try to keep the plants healthy and then you can clone forever... I think

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. From what I read in a few articles, it would be best to clone from a single strong mother, and then start a new mother plant each year if you have the seeds..If not, then keep mom going..Not really sure, but They know more than I do..:)

4. I personally take clones off of my plants before I put them in 12/12. Don't have the room for a mother plant .

Grow journal

5. I have a very old variety (MOB) that I was given around 15 years ago and have been taking clones from clones from clones ever since - hundreds and hundreds of times.

FWIW, I have seen zero decrease in either quality or plant vigor.

J

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Like @jerry111165, I have 2 strains that have been kept going with clones since at least 1992. They continue to produce wonderfully. Just flipped the current yesterday...
    0809170700a_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. I have heard and seen it both ways and seen the results. You can keep cloning the clone of the clones clone. However, the genetics will weaken. I have a relative who has been growing a strain of pineapple express for years now, and he just keeps cloning his clones, over and over. The buds get seedier and seedier and less potent each time. Most dispensaries, at least by me only take 3g clones or newer. Anything other than that they won't touch. For this exact reason. I have a pertpetual grow set up now and I will go to the 3rd generation and no further, just start from seed again or switch to a different strain. IMO with how long it takes to get a plant from seed, or clone to finished product is so long, I certainly don't want to spend any more of that time growing shit weed on top of it lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. I would consider these the exception, not the rule. You have to remember that we are essentially using mutts and hybrids as plants now and if you guys have had yours for that long, its probably a pure or close to pure sativa/indica. I think that the breeding practices happening now probably play a big part into the end result and ability to be able to keep cloning off the clones.

9. Nothing is wrong with cloning clones I put one of my cuts from indoor clones outback earlier this year she's lookin like she's gunna push 10-12 ounces and looks healthy as can be

• Like Like x 1
  10. What do you think happens to clones over time exactly? I've heard people claim you'll notice differences as early as the 3rd-4th generation... I've by no means had my clones going no decades but I'm on my 3rd round of clones and am not noticing any differences really depending on how I train them.. I don't see why a clone would all of the sudden start growin funny or anything from cloning personally...

Grow journal

11. Naw. You may not like what you clone but it will have the same DNA as its mother.

• Like Like x 1
  12. it essentially weakens the plants, from my understanding and experience. I'm not saying that every person who ever cloned the same strain for 10 years has that issue, but I'm telling you what I have seen with my own two eyes. Nothing is changing about how he's doing it or his medium or anything. But the plants get seedier and seedier and the smoke just gets less potent over time.

I never said there was anything wrong with cloning a clone. we were talking about the long term impact of continually cloning the same plants over and over for years at a time, not the first few generations, the ones that follow it. I'm growing 2nd and 3rd gen clones right now that look amazing. I'm sure, as I said above, that the strain plays into the impact as well. But there is a reason that dispensaries only want 1st thru 3rd gen clones right?

13. You sure that rumor didn't get spread by the seed banks? ... idk how a plant would all of the sudden just get seeds unless it had a very strong hermie trait from the start or it was impregnated by a male plant close to the proximity... I guess I'll see for myself soon enough though.

Grow journal

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. There is slight degeneration of the plants genetics over time. There's a term for it but idk off the top of my head. But you'll never notice it. Someone said seedier and seedier? Idk. That's a good sign of a poor grower or very poor genetics. Unless breeding? Which would be awesome in that case. Lol.
    Rule of thumb is to take your clones when momma or papa is in peak health. If they have issues when you clone the clone will have those issues and it could mess with the genetic makeup. Could also be 100% a-ok. So take clones of clones of clones of clones! Some recommend not going longer than 3 months with a mom. Some recommend 6 and others 12. And it's not recommended to flower out older moms. They've had rough lives pushin out all those lil brats so do her a favor and just end her miserable life and start a new mom once in a while.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sounds like hermaphidites are being cloned haha

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I have had the same white widow clone for about twelve years. Genetics will remain the same. Most of the myths about cloning too long come from people thinking plants are the same a the copy machine at work.

• Agree Agree x 1