Cloning without rooting gel or powder, is it even possible?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by DoomGuy, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Right now I'm germinating 1 Chees Fem. Seed and 1 regular Hash Plant seed. I have a Fem. Cheese seedling under my lights right now. Once each one has between 6-8 nodes I will main line them. Can I use the large stem tops to attempt to clone without clones? I know its a long shot, but could it be done? Have any of you had any success with gelless/powderless cloning?

2. People use plastic bags full of water and still can root clones, some even just take a cutting and put it directly in soil.

3. No shit needed when you do it right. These are Band-Aids for those who don't know what they're doing

4. That's a bold comment.
    I used aloe vera, it's still considered a cloning gel but can't get anymore natural and u don't have to worry about ur babies drying out...

5. #6 Peflora, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015
    Not bold at ll. Experience from frequent failing to consistent outstanding results simply by making sure they get sufficient bubbles and water temps

6. That ain't the bold part my friend, the part that you said "These are Band-Aids for those who don't know what they're doing". Actually now I don't think it's bold, it's just dumb. Anyone knows rooting gels speed up the process and that's a big factor.

7. #8 Peflora, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015
    You call me 'friend' then you call me 'dumb', when I point out one does not need to buy such items when all they need to do is follow 2 simple procedures. So, if I am dumb as you say, I am dumb like a frugal fox. My results speak for themselves

8. Wah wah wah wah lol...

9. You got any of those cutting in water pics with some developed roots? Not trying to challenge you bro but serious growers also use rooting gels, it is not for who don't know what they're doing.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1438843412.460488.jpg

10. #11 Peflora, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
    I will look, but what makes me think you would believe me?

These clones developed roots in less than ideal conditions. I actually got a bit cocky and decided to see how far I could push cloning. I did not take root pics, but you can see they are healthy

<span style="color: rgb(23, 54, 93);">A couple tips I picked up along the way</span>
    <span style="color: rgb(23, 54, 93);">
    </span>
    <span style="color: rgb(23, 54, 93);">1. Scrape the hardened skin on the stem ~ 2" above the cutting makes it easier for roots to break through</span>
    <span style="color: rgb(23, 54, 93);"><span style="background-color: rgb(79, 129, 189);"></span>2. Slice the stem in half ~ 1" to create more surface area</span>
    <span style="color: rgb(31, 73, 125);">
    </span>

The bucket was outside the tent which had the mother in it. I simply used a net pot lid and stuck them in and let the bubbles do the work. Very low ppm ~ 100

The seedling pic is to give people ideas on germinating. I float the seeds in mineral water < 100ppm, then use tweezers to insert into starter cubes, which I cut in half to minimize delicate seedlings from soaking and therefor dying. I keep them moist with an eye dropper

Attached Files:

11. I've found success in using aloe. Harvest a leaf of aloe and dip the cutting in the inner pulp, follow standard cloning procedure and you should start seeing roots in 10-14 days. You can even take it a step further and blend a leaf or two (skin and all), strain it and add a little to your rooting plugs. Aloe promotes a ton of cell growth and it's an all around good plant to keep in the house. You'll also never have to pay for any rooting hormone again as it propagates relatively easily.

12. Man I appreciate your picture, maybe that's why I don't do just water. There's just more work to do. Rooting gel is not for newbies, that was my point. I'm glad straight water works great for you, I'm sure it takes longer to see roots that way and look you're using buckets and basically a CLONER. That's less ideal condition than just finding some aloe vera? What if I said, cloners are for people who don't know what they're doing? Get the point?

13. Good info, you can also throw a heat mat under and maybe cut a couple days from that 10-14. Aloe is some good organic stuff, I blend the whole thing.

14. Some use honey. I put a 1 node cutting in the soil beside the plant I was trimming and now it is a clone.

15. #17 GoldGrower, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
    I use a small bucket cloner. It's a very simple aeroponic system using a single rotory sprinkler. I usually don't use rooting hormone but I have a few times and it does speed the process up by a few days. I'm rarely in a rush when cloning so it's not worth using it.

Willow trees contain a lot of rooting hormone. Cutting small chunks of a branch and putting it in the water has the same effect. But even something like clonex gel that might seem very synthetic is the same hormone that is found in plants naturally anyway

16. you can even put them in a glass of water on the windowsil and change the water everyday if you want real basic

17. Straight water 8 days aerocloner....the first is a diesel, the second is my own cross called SG...

Attached Files:

18. Peflora is absolutely right - rooting gels, powders or liquids are entirely and completely unnecessary and do not force roots any quicker than without them if the gardener has the experience and has his/her conditions right.

I use straight tap water as well.

J