Cloning with honey

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by RedHairz22, Aug 25, 2016.

1. I've heard that honey can replace cloning gel and powder, and also that you can dip clones in the honey and then put them in honey water and wait for roots to grow. Is this true and has anyone tried it? I'm giving it a try myself, and I'll share my results!

• Like Like x 1
  2. I've heard of people that use no cloning solution and still have good luck so I don't see why honey wouldn't work. =) Plants know what to do. The cloning solution just makes it more likely it will happen without it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I use only water and rapid rooters with a dome, and I have 99% rooted clones.

4. #4 missinglighter, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2016
    Yes you can use honey but aloe filet works better. Just stick the end of the clone in the aloe jelly.

5. I used aloe last time, and only one out of five rooted, and I'm still not sure it'll live. Had them in small peat cubes filled with organic soil, perlite, and EWC. They were under a dome with a heat pad. Anyone heard of leaving them in a jar of water or aloe/honey water until roots grow? And would they still need their leaves misted?

6. rooting clones in soil is tough. i don't think it matters too much in what cloning gel you use but instead it's all in the technique keeping the root plugs perfectly moist or the air moist enough. stuff like that. i am hit or miss when it comes to cloning so recently i've been told that getting a EZcloner or an aeroponc cloner system and use Clear Rez is supposed to work great with a lot of people getting 100% strike. just have to clean it out really well with bleach afterwards or use the clear rez when operating.

7. I decided to take the plunge and buy one of those aeroponic cloning machines. I love it. Only paid about $125 for it. No more rockwool or cheap plastic trays. You could practically stand on the lid for this thing. I mix a really light solution with some hydroguard, 1 ml GH grow, superthrive, 1ml florablend, 1ml cal/mag. I'm at 100% success rate still since I started using this thing. The main advantage the turboklone has over the ezcloner is the built in fan keeps it a little cooler. I just stick it in the corner of the veg tent so it gets light spillover. I got 3 in there right now. After only 3 days I can already notice some root development. It usually takes about 9 days before the roots are big enough I want to transplant.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.turboklone.com/product-p/t24-tkmini.htm

I think it's crankz in the hydroponic section usually that has a aeroponic fogger cloner DIY in his sig that is awesome. Worth checking out.

8. I tried using honey once and ended up with a shit ton of moldy clones. It doesn't seem to have any antiseptic properties like some people claim.

The easiest and cheapest way to clone is to stick a cutting in a solo cup with a few holes in the bottom and full of perlite, cover it loose with a sandwich bag to keep humidity up for the first day or two. Should see roots in 10-21 days just water bottom feed a little bit in a tray each day to keep the perlite moist. Works with or without cloning gel, the gel just speeds up the process.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I only use honey. It's organic and it's in my kitchen. Has worked on over 100 clones for me

Sent from my SM-N920T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Honey works fine. Hell, a little plain old sugar in some water improves the rooting percentage. I still like to use a touch of rooting hormone.

Aloe also does work well but seriously, there's nothing wrong with a dab of rooting compound. It works.

11. honey doesnt work as a rooter/clone agent, thats willow extract
    honey does work as anti fungi/bacteria
    does it work BETTER? im not convinced

12. I've done this myself for many years, honey is antiseptic and has the required hormones to build roots ...no biggy

avoid hot water ,...just 25c/77f is good

use a fish tank heater is easy peezy ..

be ready to replace water once you detect bacterial activity ..1x a week is good

good luck

13. I've had a cheap ($70.00) aeroponic cloner for the past 5 years. I use plain water, no heat mat or humidity dome and have NEVER had a cutting not root. I only change the water every 3 runs...it seems to root faster when the water is used. I clean it every 3 runs and only with soap and water. I studied advanced cloning at the U of M. Heat is a major killer of clones...over 80 degree water will initiate root rot. I grow in a basement in Minnesota and achieve 100% success. In summer, I put the cloner on the floor to keep it cooler. Just how I do it. Peace Comrades!
    Phezisica

Notice cloner on floor in last pic.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1