cloning/sexing specifics

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by montaze18, Apr 29, 2008.

1. alright i apologize if this is already in the forums but its something i need to learn and im havin trouble findin the exact answers. my question(s) concern the exact technique for setting up a well coordinated constant grow cycle with mothers, clones, and big robust flowering fems.
    that being said, i will describe my plan and would like to know where and how it is flawed as im sure it is:

step 1: germinate then plant 12 seeds
    step 2: veg for three weeks on 18/6
    step3: 24 hour dark period followed by 12/12
    (no clones to start with so sex is undetermined)
    step 4: wait for plants to show sex/ discard males
    srtep 5(this the one im unsure of): revert two strong looking females back into vegging in a seperate room on 18/6
    step six: take clones from mothers, do the whole "clone thing"
    step 7: flower clones, repeat

is reverting the strong females back to vegetative a good idea? healthy? widely practiced?
    how else can i take clones to make sure they female? do i have to take them before 12/12 and wait to see if the original plant shows fem and if not throw the clones out?

one more question: is it possible/easy/doable to root clones in my compost/organic soil mix or do i need rockwool or peat stuff cuz i will need to transplant into the organic mix

-thanks all help is appreciated

2. I'm not an expert but still learning myself but here's my advice - both from a practical perspective and from what others have taught me:
    - take several clones at 3 weeks
    - don't put your adult plants into flower yet
    - wait for the clones to root (if the clones are slow to root, after one week put whatever mature plants you have into your flowering chamber)
    - after the clones have rooted, transplant and put them into your veg chamber
    - as your mature plants begin to show their sex, determine which are boys and which are girls ... discard the boys (including the clones) and keep the girls
    - now, as your clones get up to the size where you can clone then, you'll know for certain that your plants are girls and won't have to be concerned with sexing them

What I am suggesting here is that you do NOT put your adults into flower until you have cut clones from them. Having them revert from flowering back into the veg state puts the plants under a lot of stress and slows down the whole process.

I have outlined the method I use ... hope you find it helpful.
    ~d-oh

3. so i guess the idea is just basically keep track of which clones come from which plant and throw them into 12 12 to find out which clones to keep?

4. BUMP

I am interested in the answer to this problem as well, I am facing a similair one.

5. well my question is for my new (barn) grow i am startin up but i just tried takin a few clones off the lower nodes of my plant that has already showed fem and been under 12 12 for a bit (but no pistils or preflowers on the clones).

i put them directly in compost w/ a cfl on 24hrs with root hormone powder using cut-in-half dasani bottles for humidity dome. did it last night and they look cool today so hopefully it works out in my favor so i can have a few positive females veggin possibly for the outdoor season

i know this is not the most professional clone set up and compost is probably not the best for em but as long as they live and transplant smoothly ill be satisfied