Cloning Questions(with pics)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by thosevacanteyes, Nov 27, 2008.

1. What's up GC, I decided that I would take a few cuttings from my last female who is 2 weeks into flowering.

I purchased some new rockwool cubes and a bottle of Clon-ex.

I took the cuttings from the middle of the plant, cut at a 45 degree angle, dipped in the gel, trimmed the fan leaves back, and placed in rockwool underneath my hps during the day, and a small Floro at night.

I took the cuttings on Sunday, and they appear to be alive, but I am very new to cloning so if anyone could give me some advice, or take a look at them it would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

-C

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next two pics are of the mother. She is 12/12 from seed, 9 weeks old, DWC, 250 watt hps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I don't know SHIT about cloning, but all I can say is the mother looks tasty.

3. Thise clones are way too tall with way too much foliage. I would be surprised if they made it long enough to root. Cuttings should be at most 3-4 inches. And, most of the fan leaves should be removed. You don't want the plant to waste energy on maintaining fan leaves. You want all of that energy going to root development.

Also, your plants just don't look healthy.

Good luck.

4. The fan leaves were all cut in half, like recommended. I wasn't sure about the length of the cuttings, so they range from 4 inches all the way to 7 inches.

For the record, that is one plant, not multiple, and it is very healthy with the exception of a few burned leaves and a few purple stems from a small deficiency.

-C

5. Even with the fan leaves clipped there are to many. I leave the head of the clone and just have 2 branches with one fan leaf on each. I only clip the leaves if they are big or heavy. They are far to tall though, i'd take some more clones but you can keep misting those if you want a challenge.

Just take some more off the mother she can spare them!

6. Thanks, I will cut a new batch later and see if I get better results.

-C

7. i just joined this form and well im surprised how little you all know ill try and make this brief and help you as much as possible

first off get rid of those clones their dead

its not a good idea to take clones off of plants in flowering but it can still be done

always take clones from the bottom of the plant they will always be the best im not gonna explain why unless u all really wanna know

its good that u cut at a 45 degree angle and used rooting gel make sure u get alot on it and dont stick it directly in the bottle pour some out into another container or ull contaminate the bottle and future clones

your clones are way to bigggg in the second pic u posted if u look at the plant in the back row in the middle i would have cut it in between the two big leaves that are hanging down near the top but i would have cut closer to the bottom one and then cut the other one off at a 45 and dipped it in rooting gel and made sure i covered all the way up 2 and including that node (branch i just cut off) and planted it in the rooting cube and made sure that node was it the cube (it will grow roots) i hope that makes sence ill make a diagram with your pic if u dont get it

**note if air gets up the main stem of your clone which is called an air ambilizum it will kill it immideatly so be delicate and quick**

there are 2 reasons why your clones died this is the main one

your clones have noooo roots! you must cover them with a plastic cover and drench the plants with a spray bottle as well as the plastic cover and maintain 100% humidity for the first couple of days roots should be done and ready to transplant within 1.5 - 2 weeks make sure leaves are almost always wet for the first while it is the only way they will recive water make sure its good water 2 and no nutrients until they are in full veg or do have solution right b4 veg if u really want but leave them for a long while

im stoned and lazy i hope thats some what cohearent and that it helps you all good luck with your next batch!

8. Wow. Pretty shitty way to say hi to the site if you ask me.

You didn't give any more or less advice than was already given. You need to check your ego at the door or you aren't going to be around for very long.

Peace.

9. Who recommended cutting the fan leaves in half? Never heard that before. Seems counterproductive to me.

Yeah, 4" would even be on the extreme tall side. I would recommend 2-3" ideally.

I wasn't talking about your mother plant. She looks great, well done there. I was referring to the clones. But, the leaf cutting this totally explains why they looked unhealthy.

Good lick with the next batch.

10. lol w.e bro just trying to help or i wouldnt have wasted my time posting

11. You did help. That is always appreciated. Let's just leave it at that though.

12. how far away is ur hps

13. watch this bro

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T07--heDYHc"]YouTube - How to Clone Marijuana - Cloning Marijuana[/ame]

14. You cut the fan leaves if they are to big or heavy. I read it in a post on here and ive had to do it to a few of mine, they grew fine. I also read that you take clones from the bottom as they root with more success. On my dvd they take clones from the top saying its more potent. Since I read the guide on here and started taking them from the bottom all my clones have survived.

Keep at it, I lost my first attempts using thin stems from the top. My last clones were taken during flowering and revegged because I always wanted to try it. They have just gone back into the flowering room and look very healthy. They had a little bud left on them and grew some very strange huge leaves while changing back to veg.

I hardly have to cut leaves on my clones! Only if they are really big or heavy but ive had to do it on a couple in the past.

15. High Times recommended it in their 3 step easy clone guide. (Which is where I got my original info.) Apparently it re-directs attention towards root development instead of to the leaves. I am sure it is just the same as removing the fan leaves seeing as how once a leaf is half infected it is no good anyhow. Thanks for your info though, it wont let me +rep you again, but I took 3 more cuttings all about 3 inches tall and I removed all of the leaves except for at the top of the cuttings.

-C

16. H did say this..

**note if air gets up the main stem of your clone which is called an air ambilizum it will kill it immideatly so be delicate and quick**

This wasnt mentioned, and its pretty important. I heard of alot of people cutting the clippings and laying them down while they finish cutting a bunch. :eek: NO NO NO!!

Definitely plant and cut your clippings *ONE AT A TIME*

BTW Not everyone is here to make friends, some are here to GIVE INFO, and TAKE INFO.

Gweetz

17. Yeah, I immediately dipped the cutting in gel before I trimmed the leaves back or do anything else. so that should be pretty well taken care of.

-C

18. a lot of stuff wasnt said

- a lot of people rather use razor blades to cut clones since scissors hurts the stem when you cut into it.

- take gel and put it into a separate cup for contamination reasons

- clones should take 5 - 8 days to root. if it doesnt you might want to check on the plant and see if you can locate roots.

- cloning from an unhealthy mom or a flowering mom can take longer for it to root.

- even though you have a rooted clone from a flowered plant doesnt mean it will survive.

ill post more later

19. clip them from mom and drop them immediately into a cup of water. when you have ur cuttings, pull one out and quickly cut again, scrape, dip and plant. one quick motion. more than a few seconds and you will have air trouble.

those clones are too long. but if you want to try to save em, cut em again above the next node and try again:) get them in some sort of humidity dome so they arent transpiring away what little fluids they have.