Cloning question

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Funtogrow, May 26, 2016.

1. My first attempt at cloning failed. After doing a lot more research, I'm gonna give it another shot. I have a couple of questions though:

First, I've read some say to cut the branch to be cloned directly at the main stalk and others say to cut just past the first node on said branch. What is the difference? I would think the clone doesn't respond different, does the mother?

Second, once a cutting has been taken, how long does it take for the mother to recover? i.e., how long before new growth in that area and does it come back as two branches ort just one?

Excuse the noob questions, and I know every strain responds different and there are as many cloning techniques as growers. Just looking for some more info before I decide how I'm gonna go on this attempt.

Thanks for any info.

2. I really need to improve my search thoughts, found most of the answers. Still not sure on how long the recovery is, basically how long before those sights grow enough to cut again. Not a big deal, I'll figure that out over time and I'm sure it varies between strain, plant health, grow environment.

3. It might not ever grow back. Your supposed to cut your close directly off the stalk because if u leave anything there it will actually start to grow ROOTS out of where u took the clone from. There is no definite answer on if or when the branch will grow back. That's part of why people have designated mother plants for only cloning.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. This should help you

lovin u (=

• Like Like x 1
  5. I decided to cut the clones just above the first node on the branch and they all grew back with two branches and none shot out any roots just healed the cut. The spots where I had previously taken clones off this plant were done directly at the main stalk and never grew back, so for this plant at least I'm gonna say cutting just past the first node is a good idea as it's shown good results. Took about a week to really see any new growth in the area where I took the cuttings. Out of 5 clones 4 survived and have rooted well. Now have the mother in flower as trying to keep an almost 4' mother is a little beyond my ability and space, new growth is looking great on the mother and she's kinda exploding on me. Planning on keeping a clone for a new mother and working a little harder to keep her low and bushy.

6. Wow! That was a lot of info and very much appreciated. Probably the best 39 minutes of research/learning I've done since I started. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. No problem! Im so happy it helped! Finding good solid information can be hard sometimes, its important to share it

lovin u (=

8. It won't grow roots from where a clone is taken. That's ridiculous. Taking a clone is no different then topping a plant as far as the plant is concerned. Many people clone when they top.... Roots won't grow out in the open even if it did, which it dont.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Indeed, there is so much crap info out there and especially with growing cannabis that it's so easy to get led astray. The knowledge of every situation is different is probably the hardest one to get across, what works for me may not work for you but the science behind it all is what's most important. Every environment, strain, and individual plant is a little different, learning to read a plant can be frustrating.

My favorite piece of advice out of this video is when he's talking about going back a step to find the real problem, which is why taking notes on how a plant grows, at least to me, is as important as the notes on the final product.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I think he meant if he burried the plant past the location he took clones from, i could have misunderstood tho

lovin u (=

11. No he says if you leave anything on the plant it will start to grow roots . He doesn't say the clone will grow roots, he's discussing what's left on the plant. Clones will grow roots if done right but what's left on the plant will not

• Like Like x 1
  12. If the remaining plant (not the clone), gets buried in a moist substrate or soil, it should grow roots out of the open wounds if it doesnt rot first.... if thats not what hes talking about ill shut up now

lovin u (=

13. The way I read it was he was saying it would root into the open air since he didn't mention anything about burying it deeper, etc. Which didn't make sense to me, roots won't just pop out into the open air willy nilly or root trimming pots wouldn't have any affect on root branching it would just leave holes in the pot where the roots would escape and you'd end up with a fuzzy little beast, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  14. On another note, I have another plant that has very obvious indica traits, 2" wide short stubby fingers. She's had a mostly purple stem, and all the branches for the fan leaves have been completely purple, calyxes have some purple and the pistils are a very pretty magenta. Will be taking some clones from her soon. Since I'm growing all bagseed, I'm planning to hold back one clone from each plant to start flowering later, and allow one clone to over mature so hopefully I can get some pollen to breed back to the later clone since I won't have anything else growing at the time to worry about pollinating other plants. I'm hoping to get some same breed fem seeds so I'll be able to start next year knowing how they grow and how they smoke. I'm really intrigued by this purple girl, she's been purple since she poked her pretty little head up, nothing I do changes her color so I can only assume it's genetics (knowing that purple plant doesn't indicate a purp strain). For my climate she's really done well and been a very "no fuss" plant, hoping she smokes well to. :GettingStoned:

15. He also went on to explain that's why people have designated mother plants for cloning only, so they wouldn't do that. Which makes no sense, if a cannabis plant did grow roots from taking clones it would do it rather it's a mother or not. There's nothing different about a mother plant other then it's held in veg.

. I clone from 1 grow to have clones for the next, often leaving part of the stem, no mother plants. None have ever grown roots nor will they.

• Like Like x 1