Cloning now or waiting QUICK!

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Blue Static, Oct 13, 2010.

1. I have the choice of letting this plant go into flower and then hopefully being able to re-generate it after the harvest then clone it, OR, cloning it now that its at 10.5inches. Its Shishkeberry which is supposed to be a superb cloning plant but - This is my FIRST grow so I'm not sure if I want to clip something off my plant and hope that the clone works and then throw the mother into flower.

What should I do?

Heres a picture of the plant and any suggestions if I clone now where I should I clone from?

[​IMG]

Thanks for any responses!

2. you will probably have more trouble waiting and regenerating then cloning especially as a first time grower...i would say try to add more light and maybe veg a little longer before flowering because if you flower now i doubt you will get much but def more than my first time.

3. I agree! I suggest investing in some CFL's so you can veg for another month atleast! Cloning now (instead of later) will allow the plant to recover before Flowering. I don't recommend flowering until you get some alternating nodes ;)

4. #4 Blue Static, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2010
    I'm kinda of pressured on time I had hoped to have the plant harvested by middle December so I can go on holiday and not worry about when the plant is ready to be harvested/watering/nutrient/pH.

Would it be OK to clone it tomorrow and then put it into flower about a week later? Flowering time for this strain is supposed to be 42 - 65 days depending. Since theres 72 \tDays until Christmas I was hoping for a 65 day flower. As well as keeping the clone for another grow.

Time frame would be like this:
    --Clone tomorrow (14th Oct)
    --Recovery and more veg and maybe 18/6 [input?] until (21st Oct)
    --Flower until (15th - 23rd Dec.)

I'm a very big worrier and I can't go on holiday worrying about a flowering plant especially as a first time grower :eek:

The clone would be in a soil medium and then probably vegging for 2 months until the beginning of next year and then flower it.

Also any suggestions on where to cut the clone from on this plant? I was thinking one of the bushier sets but I need some advice!

Any suggestions / alterations to what I said?

Thanks!

5. Bump! See above for questions I need answered
    Thanks!

6. I'm only on my second grow, but here's my thoughts...

Way too early to take a cutting... wait for a shoot to have 4-5 nodes before cutting it. I've heard of people taking clones this early, but apparently, it has a much lower chance of rooting.

The plant seems awfully young to get harvested before Christmas. If you go 12/12 now, it might start flowering by Nov 1, and it might be ready to chop by Christmas. Hate to be a downer, but I think you'll need to buy your Christmas weed this year.

I'd suggest topping her, letting those branches grow out, vegging for at least another 4 weeks. Take your cuttings just before switching to 12/12.

7. i wouldnt suggest trying to take a cutting from a plant with the cotedylon (sp?) leaves still attached. if its too earlier for nutes, then its too early to try to clone IMO
    if that wasnt answering your question, i apologize. :smoke:

8. Top it and clone the very top. You've got plenty of time, as it'll be a while for the plant to flower, plus it'll increase your yield plus it'll make the next plant nice and symmetrical.