cloning mother plant..

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ScallyWag., Jul 27, 2012.

1. So i have a question about cloning from a mother plant.. I will be starting a new grow now that i have more experience. I only have two seeds and i plan on cloning both of them multiple time. I have one tent 4x4x6.5. no separate veg room or seedling room etc.

So my question is how long do u keep your mother plant and do u leave it in the room with the clones and let it go through the veg and flower cycle as needed for the clones to the end of their lives? Would that be too stressfull for the mothers? any help on keeping a mother plant is appreciated

2. Mothers, by definition, need to be kept in veg during their entire lifetime until you don't need them any longer.

Good Growing and Happy Toking!

3. That makes since.. So i should keep them in a separate room.. would it be stressful if i veged them under 100 watt cfl and moved the clones into 400watt mh?

4. [quote name='"Cody0103"']

That makes since.. So i should keep them in a separate room.. would it be stressful if i veged them under 100 watt cfl and moved the clones into 400watt mh?[/quote]

WAAAAAY too much light for clones.

I root my cuttings under a fluorescent T5 bar, and keep them there in soil for a good week or two after they're rooted, they need to get accustomed to light. A plant/clone with 3 dinky little leaves can't possibly absorb all those lumens.
    Then after the 10 days of being rooted or so, I move them under a 250w mh to veg for as long as I want them to, and then into the flowering chamber w/ 1K HPSs.

It sounds like you need to do some further reading on the subject... Have you looked into Cervantes' Indoor/Outdoor Bible? Great material, covers everything you could possibly need. Feel free to post/pm any more questions you may have!

5. I didnt mean move the clones into 400watts mh rite away. If i left them under 100watts of cfl (along with the mother plants) for a couple weeks or so, and i moved them into the main veg tent with a 400w, would it be too much? i have the grow bible by gregg green. Not with me at the momment tho.

6. No. If they've rooted and have started developing and hardening then you're good to veg them in that light.

7. Tbh with you a lot of people overlook the point in a mother plant.

If this is going to provide you with your clones for the next however long then u need to treat her well. NO nute burn heat stress or not enough light, a clone will take on the negative effects of this when made and can grow to be a very unhealthy plant compared to a clone taken from a well looked after mother.

U will want her to flourish if you want to make good multiples from her.

Don't get me wrong you will still be able to clone but if you did a test and cloned from a flourishing mother and a neglected mother then you will see the overall outcome weather it be less potent or lower yielding.

Like the other member above said, I think you should do a bit of reading, try searchin jorge cervantes on youtube or if your computer smart then download his grow dvd's through a torrent site and go from there if you prefer to watch rather than read.

Happy growing :)

8. Out of curiosity, would it be ok to take one cutting off a plant a week before flower to create a mother, to use for additional plants after the first grow?

9. Most definitely, and I rarely put a plant into flowering without doing so myself. You don't want to pass up the chance to save some killer genetics!

EDIT: Just make sure that you have a rooted clone before you actually move your original plant to flowering

10. thanks. this is all very helpful.. so what would be a good light to keep a mother under concidering her clones would be under 400mh for veg and 600hps for flower?.. Would 100watts cfl be ok per mother? and say one 24wattcfl to cover all the clones? (7 clones)

11. Ive grown a single mother plant and at least 6 clones under 46 watts of cfl lights and they did very well. I was using aeroponics with a hardy Indica dominant strain (blueberry gum).

Behind the basil plant (using an aerogarden standard 7 plug).