cloning in later flowering

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by XxRoosterXx, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Is it a good idea to take cuttings from a plant that is in late flowering? Obviously the reason I would want to do this is I know they are female and I unfortunately didn't take cuttings from them in the veg state. What would be the drawbacks to doing this?

2. you can do it, but it will take them a bit to take root, and even longer to revert to vegetative growth

your success rate will probably be lower....for example, if taken properly in veg, ive got a mid 90% success rate, but late in flower, its much closer to 50/50

3. Awww... ok. well that's cool. I think I will at least give it a shot. The worst thing that will happen is I waste time and lose the clones. Besides I need experience anyway. Thanks!!

4. thats the right attitude

just take multiple cuts per plant...at least 2, probably 3-4 if you can give them without significantly hurting your yield, because inevitably a few will fail

the ones that make it though will have multiple growth tips right from the start. ive got one now that looks like it may have 4-5 coming out of the top of the bud :)

5. I just caught a youtube vid of this guy cloning off some ladies in full/late bloom about a week ago. Found it ---> [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k08WnfvO7u0"]YouTube - Taking Cannabis Clones in Late Flowering[/ame] it's kinda lame but if fits your topic to a tee.

Amoril is right, success rate is substantially lower during flower. I too commend your attitude and efforts.

Hope that link from JJ McGruber helps shed some light on your project.

6. The last time i did it it took a month from cloning to get new growth. But it did work. The resulting clone looks well freaky for a few weeks too!

7. Thank you very much!! The video made me smile cause that's what my place sounds like. He doesn't really give very many tips on how to do it though. Where would I take the cuttings? Same as from a plant in veg? I'm assuming that you would want to take cutting the day you harvest too so as to not screw your yield.

8. You can take cuttings from the lower part of the plant at any time during flower, but you really want to try to get cuttings that have soft stem tissue as opposed to woody stem tissue. The lower branches of your plant are going to have lesser quality buds, so it really won't affect your yield. I have successfully cloned from plants that were near 7 weeks in flower, but I too find about a 50% success rate.

One plus I have found in cloning from a plant in flower, is that once rooted, the plant can grow as many as 4-6 mainstems. This happens when the clone is re-vegged, ( it does take longer to veg) and the new shoots blow through the existing bud. However, with additional mainstems, you have the potential for bigger yields.

Here is how I take clones, both from mother plants and from flowering plants: