Cloning for mothers

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Midpoint, Jan 4, 2015.

1. So I'm getting ready to put my girls into flower for the first time.  I'm trying to figure out what my next move should be.   I'm currently growing 12 girls in veg under 2 t5 panels.  They are currently getting close to 28" tall and I'm going to be putting them into my flower room as soon as it's 100% ready to go.  I've vegged for 30 days but got some pretty big clones so I'm going to be close to 45 days veg at the time of the flip.  I'm growing in FF Happy frog in 5 gal pots. 

I have an ez cloner ready and what I'm thinking about doing is taking clones here right when I flip them into flower.  I'm thinking of just making my mothers at this point.  I'm going to be narrowing it down to 2 kinds, and keeping 1 mother of each kind.  I'm thinking of cloning like 3 or 4 of each one I'm going to keep and then keep the best 2 out of that.  Does this sound like a good plan?  I can take clones from my mothers in a month or so whenever the timing is right for my flower room?  I'm thinking at least a month behind.  I'm going to have to dry in my flower room at least the first 5-7 days.  I just have never done this before so I'm not sure what I haven't thought of or considered.  I have cloning gel and I know I need clear res for the cloner.  Anything else?  I'm assuming just ph'd water at or around 6.8?

Is there anything special I need to consider when making my mothers?  Maybe potting them into bigger or special pots?  I'm not sure.  How do I go about making them into good mothers.  I've read an old thread on here that was awesome but the pictures are no longer working.  Would I just grow them out for that first month then take my clones from the top and continue to top them?  I'm only going to keep them about 6 months I believe and then make new ones.   I'd appreciate if anyone has any advice to give on this. 

2. Just on the clone bit you was saying when you take them to make a mother make sure you put your clone in a smaller pot then let that fill out. Then pot up accordingly then into final pot. You need a really good root ball and strong roots ready to take up much nuets and water and make sure you feed it a nuet that will reduce shock from taking clones etc.
    Also 6.8 is little high I'd lower that to 5.8 to 6 well that's just my opinion others may say different. I always use airpots also for my mother's just gives them roots more air and a better root structure hope this helps buddy keep me informed. :D

3. Hey man thanks for that.  I've got some air pots right now a friend let me try, so I am familiar with them.  So start out in smaller pots and work up.  Got it, I was thinking of getting a few more of those air pots anyways so I'll definetly do that.   And yeah a little search showed me I was way off on what I thought the ph should be.   That's all good to know. 

4. Haha no worries pal hope all goes well just think tho if you doing a mother the roots need to be bang on so every bit of space in that pot counts. So potting up is a must to get that root ball perfect. Then the airpot at the end will air prune all the tips and make the roots explode inside making more feeder roots. That's how they work airpots you see they air prune the tips look them up properly and it tells you how they work it stops the roots from circling the pots and fills out the middle..perfect for mother plants if you ask me pal.

5. Airpots

Attached Files: