cloning cypress trees

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by pdub, Dec 2, 2010.

1. I'm thinking of cloning some cypress tree's, of the super giant type. Is there anything different I need to know. I'm seasoned in "other" types of plant cloning. Do I just apply the same principles?

2. i think it's the same. they probably won't be huge before you die, though. my dad lives on 20 acres of woods/swamp, and he has a bunch of really big cyprus trees. one of them has to be at least 100 years old, it's really cool to walk through the woods and see it at the corner of the swamp.

3. It should be a cutting of new growth on a young tree, not an old one. Take it from the bottom third or so of the plant. Aside from that it's pretty much the same as propagating any other tree.

4. Does it matter when I take the cutting? Its 28 degrees here, do I need to wait until spring? What the best light regime for a new cutting? 24 cfl?

5. I would do it in the Spring and probably do an 18/6 light schedule until well rooted.

6. Thanks, will do.

7. Please come back and tell us how this turns out. ;)

8. Will do. Probably start around April I guess. Though there may be some experiments beforehand!

9. Well, all experiments failed. I'm hopeful its the season. I even tried a bubble cloner. Eventually they wither, and die. I did see where someone clones without taking a cutting. Scraping, root hormone, wet grow cubes wrapped around and covered with foil. Anyone else try this?

10. It's too early.