Cloning an Auto-Flowering Strain

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Berry, Mar 1, 2012.

1. I'm doing some research on some different strains that I wanted to try in tissue culture and micropropagation and I was thinking about trying some auto-flowering strains just to see how they react to being tissue cultured.

When looking up some information on whether it would even be possible I didn't really find much information other than some people seem to think that it would be possible for tissue culturing. I figured that if at least cloning is possible then tissue culturing would be too. The issue I have is that when looking up whether auto-flowering strains can be cloned, it doesn't seem to be a very clear issue. About 3/4 of people automatically say that
    "You can't clone an auto-flowering plant because the clones will barely root and then it will start to flower."

Yet, nobody ever supplies any evidence for this except regurgitating the same old thing again and again, and the people that have actually tried say that it works just like normal cloning, and then once the clones get to about 2-3 ft tall they start to flower just like the mother.

Has anyone actually tried to clone an auto-flowering strain, or know somebody else that has? If you have no experience and haven't tried it yourself and just looked it up on the internet and saw that most people say it doesn't, please don't respond.

2. Sorry if this is annoying but if your cloning an autoflowering strain, the tallest of which i usually find to me 3 ft max at finishing of flowering, and i they are "autoprogrammed" genetically to flower starting at wk. 2 of their growth cycle how does a clone, with the same genetics grow 3-4ft tall before they go into flowering.... smells like a lot of bull***t to me. Tissue cloning would be an appropriate way to try cloning them but i somehow doubt anyone who has really tried would get these results.

3. #3 Berry, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012
    From what I've read, in fact they aren't genetically programmed to start flowering at a particular age, but genetically programmed to start flowering once they reach a certain size and produce enough flowering inducing hormones to start flowering. Because to most people they always start flowering at the same age, there is a misconception that it is age that triggers it, but it is in reality size. Most of the time this size is about 2-3 weeks in. As the plant grows its cells are producing hormones, and once it gets to a certain size it reaches a tipping point which triggers the plant to start flowering.

So when you take a clone, the clone doesn't have enough size or mass to produce the required flowering inducing hormones, so it keeps growing until it gets to the right size and starts t flower. The problem most people have with cloning auto-flowers is that they take the clones too late, when the hormone concentrations are already high enough in the tissues taken for cloning, so the clone continues to flower. If the clones are taken early enough then they won't flower.

I've already confirmed this to be true through other sources, and the problem is that most people just read the same misconceptions, but never confirm them for themselves.

4. Well... We all spend money, time and face risks to do this... So people just read the same misconceptions instead of confirming because they are not trying to re-invent the wheel, they are here to grow pot.

If you know that it will work, or have the time/space/money to experiment, do so... then you can show the truth. :metal:

5. chuuch...preach

6. Wrong about the whole flowering depends on how big it is. I have an auto buddah that's a month old and about 4" tall and that's already showing pre flower, then I also have a auto GWS that's about a week younger and bigger than buddah and that's not showing any preflower yet.

I would never clone an auto because I really don't think it would go that well. I would just grow the whole plant and get as much as I could that way. But let me know if you do, I would like to see what happens.

7. I totally understand why some people don't want to experiment with alternatives that the majority of the marijuana community shys away from because of inconsistency. The main focus and goal of the majority of growers are results and yields which is understandable. Sometimes the wheel needs to be reinvented, because other wise we'd be driving our cars around on wooden wagon wheels.

Yeah that's what I've heard from most of the growers with experience with auto-flowering strains, a lot of inconsistency.

Could it not be that the buddha is genetically programmed to flower at a smaller size than the GWS. Not all photo-period flowering strains mature at the same rate either.

Like I said I'm not going to be cloning any auto-flowering strains, I'm going to be doing tissue culture which I'm almost positive will work with them, but I was just curious about the habits they exhibited with regular cloning.

8. The last buddah (only 2 in the bag I bought) was about a foot and a half tall. But yes some do finish before others based on genetics. Post up a link if you make a thread, I would like to see what happens.

9. I had a afghan kush ryder auto, cloned it about half way thru, and the clone yielded just as much as its mother, 1.5oz. DWC bare 3-part gh. Not bad for an auto i guess.

Cloning does work, idk why but it did for me. (my akr was almost 4ft tall)

10. Thats a damn good result. I was wondering what kind of nutes you used on the clone since it was so far into flower? veg vs. flowering and how long did it take to deal with the stress?

11. [quote name='"Bolthero"']

Thats a damn good result. I was wondering what kind of nutes you used on the clone since it was so far into flower? veg vs. flowering and how long did it take to deal with the stress?[/quote]

Pretty sure dude said 3part general hydroponics....but yea I'm pretty intrested in the recovery time...and how long did it take the clone to root and then flower?

12. Yeah just GH no additives. RO water tho.
    No time at all 2-3 weeks after it rooted it looked great and full. Try it. Rooted in 7 days with no problems. Glass of water rooting powder from lowes and a 20some watt cfl, in a trash can...with a plastic wrap tent (I'm so cheap when I can be, I tried cloning in rockwool b4 but they looked like shit and were about to dye so I put em in water.

13. man i would have cloned my auto if this thread were around when i was looking! any who next time i order seeds i get 3 free auto seeds because i received a bad batch. I am going to take cuttings early on based on this thread...im guessing sense its an auto the 3rd node rule doesnt apply?

14. Wait..back to the micropropagation. Can u send me or post up ur set up current or theoretical.

15. Yeah if you want some more information about the micropropagation, check out the thread in my sig. I've got some basic information in there, and some links for more info.

I'm just getting started on my first run at micropropagating cannabis. Right now my first strain to try is Blue Mystic and it is currently 9-10 days since sprouting, and I'll be starting the tissue cultures in the next couple of weeks. Just updated the pictures too.

16. i was given an autoflowering strain by clone.....i totally forget the name, though.

i knew it was an auto because i started seeing buds when it was in a 24/0 cycle. :D

my buddy who gave it to me didnt let me know if it was an auto or not, however. than again, my buddy is all over the place :smoke:

-OSUB