Cloning 21 days into flower

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ElevationCheese, Jan 24, 2013.

1. If you clone a plant 21 days into flower it results in a bushier clone. My question are these: What happens if you clone the bushy clone during its vege stage? Do you get another bushy clone or does it go back to normal? Any tips or suggestions on cloning while flowering for bushier plants are also welcome. Thanks :)

2. When taking cuttings during early-mid flower, you're capitalizing on the changes in natural branching/nodal hormones, that
    occur during flower, in order to cause the increased branching (not only allowing for the perfect growth cycle with a two+
    room system, but also doing, naturally, exactly what some synthetic products on the market try to simulate!).

Taking a cutting by the time that plant has revegged, doesn't have this effect, because hormonally it's no longer in a
    flowering state, even if it came from a plant that was once flowering. :)

Here's a past post I made on the same topic...

______

I prefer taking flowering cuttings. [​IMG] I haven't taken a clone during veg, in probably the last 10 - 13 years. [​IMG]

They tend to root very quickly and effortlessly when in early bloom, and for me personally, it provides a better cycle
    for my rotation than I'd have if I took them too early.

(If I take my cuttings too early during bloom, or especially during the current crops veg cycle, those cuts would become much
    too large to put into the bloom rooms, by the time the current crop was harvested. A three or so week veg cycle keeps me
    from having 9 foot plants in a 9.5 foot room. [​IMG]

The benefit of cutting from the previous crop, rather than taking cuts from a normal mother, is that it's nice not wasting
    space, lights and feed on a series of perpetually vegging mother plants.
    That, and it puts the shaded lower branches from the current crop to better use by turning them into entirely new plants,
    and their absence directs more overall energy to the upper regions of the current plant, where those lowest branches
    were shaded and had no longer been pulling their weight as efficiently. [​IMG] )

*** But best of all, when taking flowering cuttings, you benefit from the changing branch/nodal hormones, triggered during bloom..
    when bud begins to form in bloom, where vegetative growth would otherwise take place, the branch nodes tighten and
    multiply
    into what we see as bud, or clusters of flowers.

When that reverses, you can have five, ten, twelve or more new branch nodes forming from roughly the same point, at each
    section where flowers had previously formed, allowing you to yield even more, even faster, and if needed with more head-space:

It turns a cutting into this, in two weeks or less... in another week or so she's put into flowering (indoors), and with
    adequate lighting, by harvest they're between 6 - 8 feet tall and predominantly bud from the first foot up.

[​IMG]

A younger 'Red Crown' Widow cut, taken much later in bloom, already growing new branches (six or seven days
    from being cut and put into a 20/4 cycle)...

[​IMG]

If you haven't already removed them earlier on when pruning, a few 10" - 15" lowest-most branches that may
    only have small or whispy buds, are ideal for dividing and cutting into 3 - 5 clones. When pruning and cleaning up the
    base, I always keep in mind to leave a few behind for cuttings, later on. [​IMG]

For instance, this is the sister of the above plant, taken from a lower point of the same branch...

[​IMG]

Those last two were taken just before the harvest, so it's certainly possible and just about as easy, but taking cuttings at
    20 - 25 days 12/12 usually allows for the fastest turn around; they are more easily reverted back to a vegetative state
    at this time, than if the cuttings are taken any later, or during the harvest. In conjunction with a very dialed-in
    environment, flowering cuttings can provide the below results in a 11 - 12 week growth cycle, counting from cutting,
    to harvest.
    [​IMG]

A nug from the upper left-middle portion of the above plant, one of five or six 'major colas' like it (in a room of six ladies
    of the same size/strain... this is 'Feralocity' though, aka Aussie Big Bud [​IMG]).
    [​IMG]

Anyhow, nicely done! Good luck! [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nice post Badkitty. Some very good info in there. I am actually just about to take clones for a scrog I am gonna try. Def gonna use this method to increase branching thus filling my screen in less veg time.

4. The proper term for a flowering clone is monster cropping. I'm with badkitty on this one. Flowering clones FTW.

5. ^ LOL I like that

6. Quick Question When I take a cutting from a flowering plant doesnt that hurt the flowering plant in any way? I read not to prinu during flower. Now that I hear of scrog its different. What happens to the plant in flower? Any risk of hermie? Or does it slow down the process?

7. Just take a lower branch that won't produce much. Its not much different than pruning off lower branches to force the top colas to grow more.

8. I understand that, thank you. My question is, doesn't cutting put the flowering plant in a 2-3 day shock? Can anything bad happen?

9. Question. Do you leave these freshly cut flowering clones in 1212 until they root or put them under a different light set to a veg cycle immediately?

10. Veg To reveg them

11. interesting!

12. My clones go under 20/4 just because that's what my veg tent is on. Never even noticed a slow down in flowering, but I do super crop the hell out of my flowering plants....

13. lmao that pic of the massive bud is photoshopped

14. When i took a clone from a flowering plant it took longer to root but grew like nothing i have seen. It didnt need topping or any kind training, it just grew into a bush, but took a long time.

15. Congratulations, you're the first person in the -7 years- I've been sharing that shot, while moderating all over the canna community, to make that assumption... now, what does that tell you. ;)

16. kitty do you grow organic? or do you use the same steroids as barry bonds lol jk man nice nugs

17. nice looking plants, and very informative post BKS. i've asked you this before, but i don't think you answered. are you the same "bad kitty smiles," that use to post at the now closed "natures high," run by racefan? i think that was the name of the forum. i think you were big into outdoors back then if i remember correctly.

18. i've been reading/doing the flowering clone thing for over ten years, and never heard of it being called "monster cropping," before.

19. taking cuts at any stage can cause some stress, but a healthy/hardy plant will take it in stride. i do a lot of pruning early on in flower. that's also the time i do my tying down. whenever you decide to prune/take cuts, just be sure to not do too much at any one time. spread it out over a couple of days. this reduces the amount of stress that can happen when you hack on your girls. yes, cutting/trimming/tying down, can all cause a bit of a slow-down in growth. the least stressful being tying down imo. i never top/fim, just my personal choice. hermie is always a possibility when you do things to your girls that can cause stress. just part of the process.

20. won't produce much??? these are the only branches i use for cuts. the reason being, these littler/thinner branches root much easier than the thicker/woodier ones.