Clones

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JKill, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Hey everyone!

quick question, I cloned my plant about 12 days ago now and all 8 of them have popped roots out the bottom/sides of the rock wool cubes. they have been in a humidity dome (propagator) the entire time with brief periods of fresh air without the dome and a very mild nutrient solution (1/8th). My question is this.

-the clones look good and healthy (with the exception of maybe 2 or 3) lots of roots, leaves are good healthy green colour, and just very lively and good looking in general. when ever i take the humidity dome off for more than 20 min all the plants start to droop and wilt. i've been trying 20 min intervals with the lid off, and then an hour or 2 back on until the plants revive them selves a bit, and then back off again until they start to droop.

is this the right approach to get the clones to not be dependent on the propagator?

thanks everyone.

2. Sounds like you have to much top side foliage for the new roots to support yet.
    Either wait for more roots to show or trim down what is up top.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smoking hot and dry here most of the time and I have to take very small cuts to get a dependable set of clones.
    [​IMG]
    About 80% will hit after 3weeks.The rest will either fade or root to late to be of use.
    Humidity dome off for the photo.

BNW

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thanks again BNW, and 10-4!!! I got way to much foliage! I'll trim away the bigger leaves. this is what they are looking like now.
    20190309_213829.jpg 20190311_074131.jpg This is what they look like after 30 min or so of the dome being off. I will go a head and trim off the bigger leaves.

the front left back right and middle back left dont look like they will make it.

Thanks @BrassNwood

I'll trim the bigger leaves and update in a day or so.

• Like Like x 1
  4. That is my best guess. To much leaf area and it's loosing more water through transpiration then it can take in yet.
    Most dome lids have vents you can open. Mine get the first 2 weeks closed but I lift the lid each day to admit fresh air. About middle of the 2nd week I open the vents and that cuts the 100% humidity in the dome down to the 80-90% humidity. By week 3 they come out and most make the transition just fine by then.
    :)
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  5. I trimmed them and they already look better. I expect that you are correct. i'm going to do another 5-10 clones today or tomorrow and am going to try to trim down to 1 or 2 leaves like you did in your pics and see if that helps. I might also make a simple aeroponic cloner as that seems to be much more productive.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It's because of the sudden drop in humidity lowering the pressure in the plants.
    Trimming them has taken some of the weight off so that's why there is less droopage.

A better way would be to raise the dome with a few spacers between it and the tray. A pencil in a couple of corners work well. Leave it like this for 24 hours for the plants to gradually get used to the lower humidity

I find cutting the foliage down like that slows the rooting process. Making an aeroponic cloner is definitely the way to go. Have a look here for a simple and very cheap bucket cloner Rooting Clones The Easy Way

• Like Like x 1
  7. right on, yeah i will get something to boost up the dome for 12 or 24 hrs and see how they look. for sure making a aeroponic cloner today or tomorrow. thanks!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. If theyve rooted nicely then you should plant them.. & when u do bury most of the stem, this will help with supporting her lil ass.. lol

• Like Like x 2
  9. Just take a normal push pin and push it into one corner of your black tray where the humidity dome usually rest. The dome will now be raised on one corner. I do this for three days then place a second pin on the other side to lift half the dome on one side now. That is good for another 4-5 days then the dome comes off

• Like Like x 2
  10. I will definitely give this a shot tomorrow. thanks!

11. Take pics of your build.. keep us posted on the status..brother.. if you would like to buy 1 instead ive seen one online that does 6 clones for under $15usd..

• Like Like x 1
  12. Made this today. Not Aeroponic. More of a dwc? I plan on leaving the water short of the roots and just letting the nutrients splash up to the plants. I saw a couple examples of this and it seemed to work well. I'll let you all know how it goes. total cost (aside from the airpump) was about 14$ 20190312_184859.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Nice job man, looks awesome. I have one very similar. It has a sprinkler in the middle to keep the everything wet..
    Literally rooted hundreds of clones in it and not one failure

• Like Like x 2
  14. Nice! I couldn't find a cheap/small water pump while I was out today, otherwise I definitely would have done something closer to what you got. i'm hoping Mine is successful.. Do you use a lite nutrient solution with the clones or just straight water???

thanks!

15. I use a nutrient solution of 0.45 ec which is about 225ppm I think. I have found they will root in empty water but they'll be yellow and sickly looking by the time they come out of there. Putting a drop of clonex in the solution makes the roots flourish and shaves a couple of days off, but it's not needed

Come find me at my hangout
    GoldGrowers Gaff

Check out my newest light review
    Mars SP-250 LED Review

• Like Like x 1
  16. right on thanks bro. the process of using rooting hormone on the clone isn't needed with this method correct?

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 GoldGrower, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Yes definitely not needed

Come find me at my hangout
    GoldGrowers Gaff

Check out my newest light review
    Mars SP-250 LED Review

• Like Like x 1
  18. do you put the clones under lights right away?

19. Got it set up today. as of now I have about 0% faith this is going to work. its only been 10 min and the leaves are already wilting

20190313_183508.jpg Open like always to any advice!!!

thanks guys!

20. Yes but you don't want it super bright. I place mine in the corner away from the main patch of light in the centre

It looks good man. Are the stems getting wet? I had a similar system and had the cut ends in the water. They rooted just fine

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1