Clones with serious problems, please help!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by holengjuy, Jun 8, 2009.

1. #1 holengjuy, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
    I recently took 12 clones from two flowering plants. 6 from a white widow and 6 from a purple kush. I placed 4 in rockwool, 4 in rapid rooters, and 4 in a homemade aerocloner.

About 2 weeks ago I placed all of the rooted clones into an the aero. Since then, all but 2 have developed strong root systems about 6-8" long. They were in RO water for a week and for the last week they have been in a half strength Lucas formula. EC is 0.7 (350ppm @ .5 conversion). They are under 24hr CFL.

Several days ago I noticed that there were a couple spider mites on them, so I decided to dip them in a 1/2 strength organic miticide. The clones didn't take to that so well. Some of the fan leaves became nearly transparent and dried up. (note to self, don't spray under light). Now they are showing more signs of stress. They have started to yellow pretty bad and seem to be drying up. The stems show no purpling or anything, roots are still continuing to grow. I checked the PH and it is right around 6.0. I've cloned before in rapid rooters and transplanted into bubble buckets without a hitch, but this time I need some time before I can set up the buckets so I decided to use the aero to keep them in for a while...not going to well.

Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. With root systems as big as I have, would it be reasonable to go with a full strength nutrient solution? Would the 1/2 strength solution be a problem?

I'm really at a loss because the PH is right and it is the same nutrients I gave my other plants when they were clones (same strains) and they were fine. Someone please help.

3. tough break man. doesnt look like they have root rot yet, however i would remove the dead leaf material asap, looks like its starting to mold n that could definitely be one of the issues. looks like you burnt them with the miticide, but if you keep removing the leaf as it dies off, you should be ok. keep them at 350ppm untill they show signs of healthy new growth before you go with a stronger solution. they should be fine within about a week. hope this helps

4. Thanks for the reply.

They do not have root rot, the roots are nice and clean. There is also no mold, it may look that way because there are buds on the clones, so its the trichomes not mold. I'll remove all the dead fan leaves, what I'm afraid of is after removing all the dead leaves, will the plant still be able to conduct photosynthesis and recover? Will the nutrient solution be enough for it to grow back?

5. Anyone else have any insight on the situation?

6. #6 Hypeshot, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2009
    It's gonna take alot to revert those back into veg. Just keep everything in order and hope it starts shooting up some green growth. Just make sure all your nutes and VERY well mixed and give them a little time to recover from the Mite dip.

7. Is there anything else I can do to try to help them along? Is a 1/2 strength nute solution ideal for the clones at this state?

Yes, I was planning on keeping them in the cloner until my new grow room is done being built this week, is that a bad thing?

8. Yours roots look healthy , I would say they are fine inside the cloner. 1/2 strength sounds OK , but I would slowly ramp up the PPM as you see progress. Just make sure you mix all that crap before hand , do NOT add unmixed nutes to a root zone.

Did the clones look like that Before cutting or slowly got worse after cloneing and mainly AFTER mite dipping ?

9. Yeah, the roots are really healthy. They are growing with each day.

The clones looked great until the leftover eggs from the mother plant hatched, and I started to see damage from mites on the leaves. At that point, a friend advised me to use a diluted miticide solution and dip the plants in. And the next day they started to show signs of damage. It has progressively gotten worse. Here's a shot of them when they were first rooted and about to be placed into the cloner to hold for a while.

[​IMG]

Pretty sad, huh.

10. Damn thoses were some healthy plants bro. That Mite dip really got too them. I don't know if they will recover. I mean , they are standing up on thier own. If they have'nt died instantly they may shake it off and grow up nice and big. If you do add some nutes , take it slowly man. Thoses plants looks like they have been through alot.

11. I know man. That's why I'm so bummed about them. I'll lighten the solution to a fresh 1/4 strength solution. The only thing giving me hope is that they are still standing and the roots are still growing.

When clones are taken and revert to veg, where does the new growth sprout from, seeing as the top of the clone is a nug

12. #12 Hypeshot, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2009
    It will grow from the very top of the nug. Slowly the plant will start to produce alot of stem growth and Single Fingered leaves (a clear sign it's re-vegging) then it will start to put off normal looking sets and at that point it will be back into veg and there should no longer be hormones mixing.

All the Bud will slowly die off after the new leaf sets get goin.

I have some re-vegged plants in my growlogg here > http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/165549-hypeshot-sog-perpetual.html

My Very First Post you can see two of our re-vegged mothers , they are labeled as well.

13. I just put my clones in my bubble buckets with 1/2 strength nutes on lucas formula and they started to look droopy and yellow. I quickly switched to 100% nutes and they perked up in a matter of hours.

14. Thanks again for the responses guys.

Looks like you've had success re-vegging hypeshot. If I can not revive these clones, I guess I will try to re-veg the mothers after I harvest.

Luckily for me, a buddy of mine let me take some clones off his Grapefruit Diesel. They are also flowering clones, about 35 days in. I won't mess these ones up! ;)