Clones Straight to Flower SoG - Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by TheJozbo, Dec 18, 2012.

1. #1 TheJozbo, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
    I'm in the process if building a 16 plant perpetual setup. Four plants in/out every two weeks. So far my set up has 250w of CFL's in the flower area (planning to get a 400w HPS around the holidays), and 52w Of CFL's in the mother/clone box.

I've got two plants in 2 gallon pots that are almost ready to be harvested, and another almost ready to harvest in a 2L bottle. The 16 plants I plan to have in the 2L bottles.

I started with four feminized Northern Lights Seeds from Nirvana. I took a clone of each when I moved them to 12/12, and removed the mother. Unfortunately I mixed them up and only know the plant which one of them came from. These clones are not doing so well because I gave them water with nutes in it by accident so they got a little burned. I'm still deciding if I should get rid of them or not(cloned 12-01).

Four clones from my mother plant are rooted and in 12/12, one of them has all ready started to show flowers(cloned 12-04, transplanted 12-10). These will be my first group in the

I plan to take clone from the mother soon after I transplant the previous group and add them into the SoG. I took more clones from Delilah(mother plant) 12-17, with expectation of them being ready to transplant by 12-22 or so.

The first picture is of the set of clones that are in 12/12, the closest one is the one that has got flowers developing on it already. The second is of the clones I have of my original plants. The last one if of my mother and some new clones being rooted.

Attached Files:

2. I'm curious to see your yields, clones look good man. I got a closet with a perp goin also, it's a bitch with such little space

3. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate of how tall Northern Lights will get in a SoG with clones straight to flower?
    Thanks so much!

4. Sorry, But that's kind of a dumb question. There are so many variables that can change the outcome of a plant. The genetics do matter, but not as much as you'd think. Be a little more specific. Like, what light, soil, nutrients, and grow space you are using. And, SoG just means growing a lot of small plants to quicker maturity to get quicker harvests. I don't see how that's relevant to your question. But for an answer, assuming the clones are around 4-8" tall. I'd say 1- 1 1/2' tall by harvest time. That's based on having sufficient light, soil, grow space, ect.

PS. sorry if this sounded rude...

5. #5 Atmo, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014

No I totally get it, and that's my fault, I know that was a very vague question, I've just asked it with more details in a couple other threads with no responses.
    Basically, here's my deal:
    I've got a box about 1.5' x 2' x 6' - right now it is partitioned into 2 chambers, mothers/clones and flower.

The flower space is about 3.5' high. I was GOING to get an LED light for this chamber to save on height and heat, but I am having a hard time finding one I want to shell the money out for.. so I will probably start with my last grows setup (check the sig for a journal link) which is 150w HPS + 250w CFLs. I did a scrogged NL grow in a 1.5' x 2' x 3' box last time and got about 1.7oz.

My dilemma is this.. if I use the HPS + CFLs that is going to take up a lot of height. I can increase my flower chamber to about 4', but if I do that my mother/clone chamber will only be about 16-18" from the light to the bottom of the box. Not sure if this is high enough for bonsai mums?

It will be a soil grow, same as my other grow... I did foxfarms ocean forest and perlite with I believe foxfarm nutes.

My original plan was to keep my box AS IS (~3.5' high flower chamber, roughly 2' mother chamber) and take clones, root them and put directly into flower using those red solo cups.

Basically, what I am trying to achieve with my small box is ideally getting the equivalent to 1oz per month. I might just go back to scrogging, keep my box as is and just take clones from the mom and scrog them in the flower chamber (which would be higher than my last one) - Which actually I might be able to hit my 1oz per month (if I can pull 2+oz per scrog)

I am willing to drop some money on this for a new LED light, or maybe a 250w HPS and a new exhaust (right now it's 200CFM.. Soler & Palau TD-125 I believe) - I just can't really go MUCH bigger than my current box.

I MAY be able to get away with a 3' x 3' x 6' tent, but that is pushing it, and I would much prefer this be more stealthy, so having a random tent in my spare bedroom isn't the best idea. Plus doing that I will need to get more lights, new exhaust, etc.. I would like to limit my spending, but am willing to spend money to make my current box perpetual to my needs.

I might be rambling so I'll jsut end this here, but if I didn't provide any info that is relevant please feel free to ask.. I just want to get my plan set in stone before completing my box, so I don't have to tear it down and redo anything.

Thanks so much for the reply.. sorry for the stupid question, I totally get that!

6. #6 Atmo, Jul 10, 2014
    I tend to overthink everything, and can be very anal, I just want everything to be perfect, you know? I would hate to get my box built and then have my SoG NL colas get within a couple inches of my HPS light or worse. I would love to get a really good LED light that can achieve my perpetual needs, because then I think I would probably not need to swap my exhaust out (plus I hear LED lights make the plant grow more compact/shorter). Not sure if I even have to, I will have to test temps.. but 200CFM with a carbon scrubber in a box that size, it's cutting it close..

My other option, which I would prefer NOT to do, but if I have to I will, is using the whole box as the flower chamber and just make a small box for mothers/clones. But I feel like using all 6' will be a waste of height?

Really what I do next is all dependent on how tall I can estimate my SoG colas will get... I would prefer to not experiment and rebuild, but build it right the first time with educated research :)

7. Wait!?! So you're doing SCRoG or SoG?

8. Want to do SoG, but if I don't have the height, scrog like my first box... Just dunno how tall the flower chamber should be for SoG

9. #9 Atmo, Jul 10, 2014
    Basically I'm just looking for a way to get a perpetual grow going in the box I have, or somehow yield an ounce a month, that would be ideal. I can buy more lights and exhaust, but can't do a whole lot about space. I figured SoG was the way to go but some people have told me a 3-4' flower chamber is not tall enough, even though I swear I've seen grows where the colas were about 1-2' tall, which if that is true, I can totally do that in my box. Sorry for all the text, I've just got a lot rattling around my head haha

10. #10 Atmo, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
    @[member="Legal Liez"] I'm also curious as to the minimum height I can get away with for mother plants. I basically have a couple options, all dependent on heights:

-Original box design: Flower chamber: 3' 4", mother+clone chamber: 2' 3" - SoG grow
    -Altered for SoG height: Flower chamber: 3' 10.5", mother+clone chamber: 1' 9" - SoG grow
    (or I can go even smaller with the mother chamber/bigger with the flower chamber, if possible/necessary)
    -Use full box for flower (5' 8") and make a small mother+clone box - SoG grow (I would prefer/hope I don't have to do this)
    -Use original box plan, and if flower chamber height is not enough use clones for Scrog instead of SoG (I know this can be done because I did it in the same box with half the height [grow journal in sig - the box is the same except twice the height])

So that's really what it boils down to... Still also unsure about using 150w HPS + 250w CFLs vs 250w HPS vs LED light - so that is also going to be a variation of height..

Sorry for making this so complicated man! 

11. #11 Atmo, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
    P.S. here is what I'm using for my box, just so you get a visual.
    [​IMG]

the "Original plan" I took out the top two and bottom one shelves, for the altered I took out the top 3 shelves (flower chamber always on top). I can partition it at any height, though, those are just the convenient ones :p

last box was this (same thing, half height):
    [​IMG]

12. Well isn't the point of SoG to start the flower process early with a lot of plants so you get quicker harvests. With that being said you don't need a whole lot of height.

That is precisely what I thought!! Ugh, I've just been getting a lot of bad info apparently...
    I'm just gonna go ahead and keep doing what I was doing, I think it'll work out fine.. 
    Thanks for reading through my ramblings