clones or seeds??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by itsagirl, Feb 16, 2011.

1. hey GC i havent been on in a while. id like to get some input on growing from seeds or by clones. I tried growing 2 clones last year and they both began to flower almost immediately. they hardly got to be a foot a high before they were done budding. any ideas on how to prevent this? I like seeds but i dont want to spend so much on fem seeds and i dont want the hassle of having to grow several plants just to have to throw the males away. any ideas or thoughts would be great, Thanks :smoke:

2. high itsagirl

I have seen that happen with clones several times. Its generally caused by having the clones under a much longer daylength than the natural daylength. A buddy had this happen last year and he had grown his clones under 18 hrs of light and then transplanted them outdoors on the first of may when the daylength was 14.25 hrs. The flowered within 30 days.

Had he grown his clones on 15.5 after leaving the cloner and waited until mid may when the daylength was 14.5 hrs, his clones would not have tried to flower.

I grow clones every year without ever a problem. As soon as the plants come out of the cloner, they go under 15.5 hrs of light. 2 weeks later, early may, out they go. No problems. Make sure that the daylength at the time of transplant is a minimum of 14.5 hrs.

Goodluck

3. awesome man im going to try that. thanks for the help.

4. clones are usually started indoor under like 18 hours of light. so when they go outdoor with 10-12 hours of light that triggers flowering

5. I would get a few clones but I would also get some seeds.

6. i use seeds, at least for now. i am going to grow many different strains until i find my favorites. then i might start cloning, but who knows

7. hey clodhopper do you just transplant the clones straight outdoors or do you let them adapt slowly? I read somewhere to put them out side for like 2 hours the first day then back under the lights then like 3 hours the next day and let them get a wee bit stronger do that for a week and then put them out. is all that necessary?