Clones not rooting

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by lord chronic, May 21, 2011.

1. Took clones two weeks ago using clonex and ph'd rockwool cubes. Put them under humidity dome with heating pad. Opened up the vents and lowered humidity after four days, and removed it entirely at one week. They are fine without the dome, which means they are getting water from somewhere but I cracked one of the cubes and saw only what appeared to be a white mass at the tip of the cutting. The leaf tips are also beginning to yellow on a few of them.

I've been considering throwing a few right into a DWC with high water levels and super low nute concentration, but I'm not sure if this will promote rooting or prevent it. Falling behind schedule waiting for these things to pop roots and I'm not sure what the best route to take would be at this point.

Any input or advice appreciated.

2. The white mass could be a kind of forming root bulb. Pot plants typically just bud roots from the stem without forming a bulb but white growth in the dirt is commonly roots growing.

You really sound like you understand most if not all of the cloning process and I expect you'll get some good results soon.

Since clones usually get no nutrients, they need to feed on themselves to grow roots. This starts with the yellowing and drying of the clone's lower fan leaves. These leaves dying most often signifies that the roots are starting to grow in. Then, when the plant's leaves perk up and it starts growing again, that usually means it has rooted.

Be sure not to get water directly on the leaves of clones.

Clones still have a chance as long as the stem in the substrate isn't rotting. Once it starts to rot, it won't grow any roots.

Good luck

3. why lower the ph after 4 days? you want to keep that rh up until you yank them out of the dome. i usually leave my cubes in until i see roots coming out of the cubes. when the leaves start looking like crapp is an indicator they are rooting.