Clones not looking good. Help!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Richayy, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Ey guys, yesterday I took twelve clones from a nice feminized northern lights x big bud plant. As soon as they were cut I dropped them into a distilled water and clonex solution. I then inserted them into the stg 1.5in cubes that I presoaked in the same solution. Since most were at least an inch tall I never even put a humidity dome on them. Instead I stuck them under my 600 hps at 50% power. When I just looked at them this morning every single plant looks really droopy and just plain sad. Not sure if this is normal or If I'm doing something wrong. I misted the cubes again with that solution (1L distilled, 10mL clonex) to moisten them cause they looked thirsty but I didn't too much for fear of over watering. The temp stays at about 77 but I have a fan on them and I moved my light from 8in away to like 13in. Any ideas?

2. Its normal for them to look droopy the next day, then pick up from there,, But my first thoughts is that you should put the dome on them, and get them out from under 600 or even at 50% = 300 Watts of light. They need very low light right now, or they will try to process the light and not focus on root development.

I just had clones root using Root Riot cubes and a Dome. Just sprayed the inside of the dome about 4 times per day (not the clones) and left the vents closed. At day 5 I opened up the vents, and continued to mist the inside of the dome. On day 9 I had roots poking out the cubes, and I will transplant them this weekend. Dome is no longer being used at this point, and the only light has been a 23watt CFL over the dome.

3. [quote name='"Beachbound"']Its normal for them to look droopy the next day, then pick up from there,, But my first thoughts is that you should put the dome on them, and get them out from under 600 or even at 50% = 300 Watts of light. They need very low light right now, or they will try to process the light and not focus on root development.

I just had clones root using Root Riot cubes and a Dome. Just sprayed the inside of the dome about 4 times per day (not the clones) and left the vents closed. At day 5 I opened up the vents, and continued to mist the inside of the dome. On day 9 I had roots poking out the cubes, and I will transplant them this weekend. Dome is no longer being used at this point, and the only light has been a 23watt CFL over the dome.[/quote]

Hmmm well I'm using these stg starter cubes which are similar to polyfill. They say the stg needs to be watered more. And as far as lights I only have two 600w ballasts with hortilux hps bulbs for light. The power control on the ballasts are really my only option. How big of a t5 fixture would you recommend for 12 lil guys.

4. You could use a small t5 fixture, or keep it cheap and simple and hit up Home Depot, pick up 2 light sockets with those Silver Reflectors on them. They are already wired with a plug and also come with a Clamp on Arm. Then while your there, grab 2 - 23w CFL Bulbs that are 5000K or 6500K, then hang them above the yougens and plug them in. Once the clones have rooted, transplant them, remove the 2 CFL's, Store CFL's for next time, and then Kick on the 600 watts.

5. [quote name='"Beachbound"']You could use a small t5 fixture, or keep it cheap and simple and hit up Home Depot, pick up 2 light sockets with those Silver Reflectors on them. They are already wired with a plug and also come with a Clamp on Arm. Then while your there, grab 2 - 23w CFL Bulbs that are 5000K or 6500K, then hang them above the yougens and plug them in. Once the clones have rooted, transplant them, remove the 2 CFL's, Store CFL's for next time, and then Kick on the 600 watts.[/quote]

Sweet. Thanks for the help man.

6. [quote name='"Beachbound"']You could use a small t5 fixture, or keep it cheap and simple and hit up Home Depot, pick up 2 light sockets with those Silver Reflectors on them. They are already wired with a plug and also come with a Clamp on Arm. Then while your there, grab 2 - 23w CFL Bulbs that are 5000K or 6500K, then hang them above the yougens and plug them in. Once the clones have rooted, transplant them, remove the 2 CFL's, Store CFL's for next time, and then Kick on the 600 watts.[/quote]

I just bought a t5 light from my friend who had an extra. Do you think I should keep them on 24hrs or 18-6 right now while they're developing roots.

7. Keep them on 18/6 in order to give them a little down time. Lots of light, or intense lighting will encourage vegetation to grow, and we want them focused on roots right now.

8. try and straighten the clones when they droop
    dont be too aggressive just gently straighten the stem then u will know when they are able to hold themselves up

9. Alright I'll try, thanks for all the tips.

10. USE A DOME!!
    They need the humidity created with the dome on until roots show or they will droop and wilt

11. Im using a dome, a 2ft 2 tube t5 light and Im sprating them wuth a clinex and distilled water mix

12. I place my clones in their domed enclosure which I have sprayed the inside of the dome with a little tap water. Crack the vents a tiny bit and leave alone until they feel a little light (add a little water to tray) or the roots show. I have close to 100% succsess rate with my clones this way within 7 to 10 days